Secondary diesel tank?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CptDondo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Diesel
Has anyone installed a secondary fuel tank in a diesel 2500? I'm finding I need to stop every couple of hours for fuel and I miss the 57 gallon tank in my old truck.

Any way to put a bigger tank in, or a second undermounted tank? I'm removing the bed, so I can't use a bed mounted tank.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Check out Titan Fuel tanks: http://titanfueltanks.com/amfinder/?find=2019-dodge-ram-2500-4436
They offer 55 gallon replacement tanks for the CrewCab w/8' bed or MegaCab 2500 & 3500 CTD trucks. For CrewCab w/6.4" bed there is a spare tire location add on.
My buddy has their 55 gallon in his 2500 CTD, he says it gives him a solid 500+ mile range when towing his fiver(unfortunately his bladder doesn't make it that far...lol).

OP
OP
C

CptDondo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Diesel
Just had a good chat with them. They will be coming out with a 50+ gallon replacement tank in "early 2020" for the crew cab 6.4' bed. Looks like I'm gonna wait it out for a bit.

OP
OP
C

CptDondo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Diesel
After looking at the price of those tanks I think I will keep hauling my extra gas in cans.

LOL. Yeah. I live on the road, and quite often I am in remote areas. I've had a few nailbiters finding a gas station that carries diesel in Nowheresville. Or even a gas station. Or cell signal. With a 280 mile range while towing, I'm feeling a bit claustrophobic.

Unfortunately my bed is full of gear, so I can't carry jerry cans. I figure running out of gas once 40 miles up a dirt road with no service will pay for the tank. :)

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
LOL. Yeah. I live on the road, and quite often I am in remote areas. I've had a few nailbiters finding a gas station that carries diesel in Nowheresville. Or even a gas station. Or cell signal. With a 280 mile range while towing, I'm feeling a bit claustrophobic.

Unfortunately my bed is full of gear, so I can't carry jerry cans. I figure running out of gas once 40 miles up a dirt road with no service will pay for the tank. :)

I understand what you are saying. A couple times when towing through Alaska I had to use my 11 gallons to get to a station. Glad I had it.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
I just hooked up my RDS 91 gallon tool & fuel box in the bed. I use an electric pump powered through a universal power relay harness with a wireless remote that I found on Amazon. No wires or switches to run into the cab that way. The fuel lines come from the pump to a fitting inline on the stock vent hose, then plumbed back to the aux tank's vent. The fuel line plumbed this way creates a loop so the stock tank won't overfill.
If it stops raining and if interested i can post some new pics.

Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m very interested in seeing pics of what you did installing the extra tank and electric pump and relay

OP
OP
C

CptDondo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Diesel
For those who installed a larger tank - was any reprogramming required? I'm guessing the miles-to-empty would be hosed, but anyting else that the ECU needs to know about?

JimmyA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I installed a 90gl tank in the bed of my truck and hooked up for gravity feed, happy camper!

Tsys100718

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I installed a 90gl tank in the bed of my truck and hooked up for gravity feed, happy camper!

I had a 46 gal tank on my old gasser Ram and had a fuel pump hooked to it with a nozzle, since it's illegal to gravity feed gas. Kind of a pain to have to stop and use the nozzle, but it worked fine. Never had to mess with my ECU, as the fillups automatically reset my MTE display.

Over the weekend, I bought a 2500 diesel and will reuse my old tank. My question is this, if I use the standard available gravity feed adapters, will I still need to climb up and turn the cutoff valve on the tank on and off as needed. OR does the roll-over valve actually stop the flow as needed?

G. Mcpherson

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Ram 2500 CC SB Tradesman
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I leave mine on. I just fill the main tank first.