1 gal. Of gasoline in 28 gal diesel performance increase.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GaryDB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
Wait... what about 5gal of non-ethanol gas and ...a Quart of Mobil 1 or should it be 100% synthetic...or maybe green top Quaker State..no, no red...
Oh, and add a can of STP! If we could only find some leaded gas.

Trashy2121

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So first off. Every so often a little gasoline with a cp3 wont kill it. Its actually a solvent. You should be adding lubricants too, when you do this. I know guys are being hard on you but next you will be on here complaining about the high cost of repairs. Its not a gasoline engine.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
So first off. Every so often a little gasoline with a cp3 wont kill it. Its actually a solvent. You should be adding lubricants too, when you do this. I know guys are being hard on you but next you will be on here complaining about the high cost of repairs. Its not a gasoline engine.
Did you not read the other replies. Gasoline is NEVER< EVER a good idea in your diesel. There is zero advantage to putting it in and a whole bunch of disadvantages. You very well can end up with serious and expensive damage, from even a little occasionally.

This is the trouble with the internet, you have people posting pure B.S. like this and others are gullible enough to believe them. If you don't know what you are talking about refrain from leading others down a bad path as a result of your ignorance.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I'm gonna say something real profound here, real profound!

Think about this!!

What if we outlaw stupid? To start with we will call it a misdemeanor, but for second and third offenses = full on felony? That would clean up this thing al gore invented?

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I'm not going to knock on folks who don't know, because we all know the internet is riddled with falsehoods. It can be difficult to weed through and find the truth since some folks like to troll and others will take the bait.

That said... the safest bet is to ALWAYS follow what the manufacturer suggests if you don't know any better. Even if you do, you better make sure that you know it's a fact before running with it and darn sure before you suggest it to anyone else.

Run the fuel they require (don't ever introduce additives of any kind unless you KNOW what they could do)
Perform the maintenance per their recommended intervals using the recommended components (fluids, filters, etc...)
Tow within the documented limits (don't try to justify by adding aftermarket accessories)
Don't modify the electrical system unless you know what you're doing (IE... adding stuff to existing circuits, cutting wires, etc..)
Don't modify the suspension unless you know what you're doing

Shouldn't have to post any of this, but with the internet this is the world we live in.

Shawn Burns

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Reminds me of the old M35A2'S (Deuce and 1/2's), where there were a plethora of fuels as an alternative U could run in that old Diesel except for Gasoline. Heck, throw kerosene in there. But gas in a Modern system, with monster HP fuel pumps, and Def and SCR systems, OMG. All IMHO.
a deuce and 1/2 would run like a scalded dog with half a tank of gas mixed with diesel.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Reminds me of the old M35A2'S (Deuce and 1/2's), where there were a plethora of fuels as an alternative U could run in that old Diesel except for Gasoline. Heck, throw kerosene in there. But gas in a Modern system, with monster HP fuel pumps, and Def and SCR systems, OMG. All IMHO.

Most military ground vehicles were like that, designed to be multi-fuel compatable. They don't have to care about emissions, aren't trying to make max power, and aren't concerned about warranty work. They just want it to move when it needs to move and if supply lines are compromised, more options are more better.

There actually were some engineering nerds maybe 15-20 years ago who were experimenting with a commercial application for diesel/gas mix. It wasn't mixed in the tank, mind you. It had both a gas tank and a diesel tank separately. The vehicle itself then changed the ratio based on the load, temperature, etc. The result was a colder ignition temperature, so more energy going to moving the piston vs heat. I suppose it was either too expensive or too cumbersome to ever make it commercially, since it never became a thing.

Quick Google shows it was a thing, if a touch more recent than I remembered: https://news.wisc.edu/hybrid-vehicle-team-to-test-drive-new-efficient-dual-fuel-engine/

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Most military ground vehicles were like that, designed to be multi-fuel compatable. They don't have to care about emissions, aren't trying to make max power, and aren't concerned about warranty work. They just want it to move when it needs to move and if supply lines are compromised, more options are more better.

There actually were some engineering nerds maybe 15-20 years ago who were experimenting with a commercial application for diesel/gas mix. It wasn't mixed in the tank, mind you. It had both a gas tank and a diesel tank separately. The vehicle itself then changed the ratio based on the load, temperature, etc. The result was a colder ignition temperature, so more energy going to moving the piston vs heat. I suppose it was either too expensive or too cumbersome to ever make it commercially, since it never became a thing.

Quick Google shows it was a thing, if a touch more recent than I remembered: https://news.wisc.edu/hybrid-vehicle-team-to-test-drive-new-efficient-dual-fuel-engine/
I remember reading an article about this several years ago,and the issues at the time were finding a computor with enough capability to run the 2 systems simultaneously.I wonder if it might be a more viable option now,as computor technology has come alongways in the last dozen years

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I remember reading an article about this several years ago,and the issues at the time were finding a computor with enough capability to run the 2 systems simultaneously.I wonder if it might be a more viable option now,as computor technology has come alongways in the last dozen years

Maybe, but that's not a big ask of a computer and I'd be surprised if the computational power wasn't readily available then. It'd probably be cheaper now, though.

I just wonder if the complexity made it economically unfeasible. Or expected consumer demand. Are people willing to fill two tanks with two different fuels and keep them straight? I'm reminded of the US Park Service comment about bear proof trash can design "There is considerable overlap in the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists". I would expect that "the dumbest drivers" probably enters into the equation for manufacturers as well.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To me, having a Military truck that runs on separate fuels not make a lot of sense. Want that Diesel every day, all day,(able to run on different heavy fuels like kerosene and diesel), need the ability to move and carry a load. But now, the new Big trucks and LMT's are a world beyond the old 2 1/2's. With all the auto systems, auto tranny, air units, air compressor, air down tire systems, on and on. Just a different world even in a Military Truck these days. I have never been in anything more modern than a new than 5 ton in 1995, and a 1025/1026 Humvee. Other than that just the ole reliable M151 series. I believe in stuff like Military transportation use KISS principal when able.

Aircommuter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have been in truck repair business since the 60s, I have owned dozens of Diesel cars and trucks. I bought my first Mercedes Diesel in the early 70s. The owners manual stated that up to 5 gallons of gasoline could be added to 20 gallons of Diesel 2 for winter use. That was then.
Diesel fuel is different and so are the engines. If you are heading north in the winter just get some winter fuel at the destination before it sits overnight in very cold weather. There isn’t a good reason to put a foreign fuel in your vehicle. Unless you are trapped in New York like the movie Escape from NY. Then you can make some biodiesel or get some jet A from the abandoned airport.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
or there is Mazda gas engine that is pretending to be a diesel, it uses compression ignition but still has spark plugs.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
If you are heading north in the winter just get some winter fuel at the destination before it sits overnight in very cold weather.
This brings up a question I have been pondering this early winter. How do you know when a station has the winter mix in the tanks? This because my diesel tractor doesn't get used much, so as we get towards winter I don't automatically refill my tank, but I have been wondering when it's "safe". And "asking the attendant" is not an answer I would put any faith in.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
We always called the refinery to see when they were going to switch to winter diesel also called #1 Diesel. Then we used conditioner prior to that as the cold weather got close or if we were driving into a colder area.

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I was over in Quartzsite Arizona, it is a busy town, it seems like every other building is a GEM or Rock shop.
Every few buildings is a Auto Repair business, mostly welding shops.
The buildings often share a driveway, like a business behind a business, or a couple of businesses in a shanty.
There is really no rhyme or reason to how buildings were put in place.

There was not that many fuel places on the North side of the I-10 & i was looking for a place that had #2 Diesel, the Diesel pumps were not marked & the cashiers did not have a clue, even the Manager did not know for sure if the tanks had #2 Diesel or Bio-Diesel.

About the 3rd place that i stopped at, their pumps were marked & i filled up for my trip back to San Diego, the Semi Trucks that i was meeting were all hauling Prison Cells for an ICE Facility that was being built.

This what they look like on a semi truck, there was no snow in Arizona in mid Summer

1705787256390.png

Last edited:

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Used to put a gallon of gas in my 100 GALLON tanks to keep them from gelling up.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
This brings up a question I have been pondering this early winter. How do you know when a station has the winter mix in the tanks? This because my diesel tractor doesn't get used much, so as we get towards winter I don't automatically refill my tank, but I have been wondering when it's "safe". And "asking the attendant" is not an answer I would put any faith in.
I trust my self not some station person who may or many not know, so by early fall have anti gel on hand and ready to use when I see weather reports of the temps going below a certain temp for the fuel I'm using, in my case mixed bio diesel...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357