Service at dealership woes - RAM CARE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gixxer750

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015_2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Being the diligent type, I'd test drive a vehicle with a transmission complaint, and if I was unable to duplicate the problem, I'd go to the service writer and hand them the work order and inquire about the issue in more detail. Shockingly, some service writers would say ugly things about the customer and say they were "nuts". Realizing that no one has the time to bring their car in for some imaginary problem, I took it upon myself to call the customer and go over the issue. By closing the communications gap, I always got the true intent of what the customer was trying to say. The difference is, I knew and know what questions to ask about something as complex as an automatic transmission. Keep in mind that the first order of business in ANY automatic transmission complaint, Driveability issues must be monitored and eliminated first. You've no idea how often I'd get a slippage complaint that turned out to be a clogged fuel filter.

Remember this: Service writers are sales people, not technicians. They are professional bull****ters. By cutting to the chase such as I did, I helped our CSI ratings go way up, not to mention find the true cause of the customer's complaint.

I was never thanked for my diligence but my true goal was to be the very best at what I do as a professional. I read all these slams against dealer technicians and understand all the dynamics which exist in the dealer world. Greed is the number one cancer which leads to these problems..... from everyone being on commission to the separate departments being at war with each other.

Here's a little known fact: The best finance guys in a dealer pull down a half a million a year in commission based pay by taking advantage of you the public's ignorance, naivety, and fears about the whole process.

Dealer principals (owners) live in mansions and are extremely wealthy. The majority of dealerships have been snatched up by big corporations. This eliminated the neighborly relationships of decades gone by. The folks in that environment are put under incredible production quotas and are in constant fear of being terminated.
That doesn't shock me at at all. The service writers at my nearest stealer that I will never use again when given detailed explanations of the issue I had with a bcm exterior lighting control, #2 and even explained the easiest way to get to the 2 wires, (Colors and and harness location directly accessible by removing the driver front wheel.) All i needed, requested, approved, was an estimate. Thats it. 6 hours later I got a call from ram that it was ready. Except the dumb ******* was blaming and audio power wire penetrating the firewall and sealed wit duct seal as the probable issue. Thanks to some recent off road adventures I knee he never even opened the head light access flap I that fender or touched the wheel. So $300.00 Bill for no estimate, and Zero work actually done. EG the "stealership"

Gixxer750

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015_2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Being the diligent type, I'd test drive a vehicle with a transmission complaint, and if I was unable to duplicate the problem, I'd go to the service writer and hand them the work order and inquire about the issue in more detail. Shockingly, some service writers would say ugly things about the customer and say they were "nuts". Realizing that no one has the time to bring their car in for some imaginary problem, I took it upon myself to call the customer and go over the issue. By closing the communications gap, I always got the true intent of what the customer was trying to say. The difference is, I knew and know what questions to ask about something as complex as an automatic transmission. Keep in mind that the first order of business in ANY automatic transmission complaint, Driveability issues must be monitored and eliminated first. You've no idea how often I'd get a slippage complaint that turned out to be a clogged fuel filter.

Remember this: Service writers are sales people, not technicians. They are professional bull****ters. By cutting to the chase such as I did, I helped our CSI ratings go way up, not to mention find the true cause of the customer's complaint.

I was never thanked for my diligence but my true goal was to be the very best at what I do as a professional. I read all these slams against dealer technicians and understand all the dynamics which exist in the dealer world. Greed is the number one cancer which leads to these problems..... from everyone being on commission to the separate departments being at war with each other.

Here's a little known fact: The best finance guys in a dealer pull down a half a million a year in commission based pay by taking advantage of you the public's ignorance, naivety, and fears about the whole process.

Dealer principals (owners) live in mansions and are extremely wealthy. The majority of dealerships have been snatched up by big corporations. This eliminated the neighborly relationships of decades gone by. The folks in that environment are put under incredible production quotas and are in constant fear of being terminated.
Hey sherman, you are a front line hero.
I have a quick question. What is the deal with this new phenomenon of giving the service techs pimps? Id like to discuss issues with the person that about to tear into my rig not the bumbbling idiot that answers the phone. (Personally, )

Gixxer750

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015_2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree about the spare. I drop it 2X a year to lubricate it. What I thought was surface rust on the wheel turned out to be worse when I did need it and as I compressed the lugs, the rust mushroomed out around them. Thankfully, this happened somewhere that I could leave it but that was embarrassing New spare:

View attachment 217134
I discovered the truck I had just bought had nothing left of the jack kit. And I learned that in the wood. Fml lol. Made it all come together with bits from 4 other I peoples rigs

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
^That Post is brilliant. And that’s saying a lot because Sherman, you’ve written a lot of really good posts. Blunt force truth.

professional bull****ters vs (vs is my interpretation, not his) naive and ignorant...... that is so true

There are a whole bunch of professional bull****ters in a dealership. Emphasis on Professional. Then there are the naive that come out of a dealership bragging how they skinned the dealership when they bought their new vehicle. I just think: If you only knew the real truth.

88% of the money spent on Extended Warranties goes towards commissions and paperwork. Only 12% of the money is ear marked for vehicle repairs. And they STILL make money. What does that tell you?

I have a service writer I use exclusively at my Toyota dealer which I've used for recalls on my Sequoia and Camry. I have had my oil changed when I've either been too ill or busy, but usually do myself.

That being said, here is a story that makes me very upset at the avaricious ****heads who manage dealer service departments: My Camry (2009) with about 160,000 miles on it was recalled for the dashboard that started to turn into sticky mush. I took it in, and they had it ready in under 2 days.... "Great" I thought as I thanked this fine service writer and took possession of my (wife's) car and went home. The car was flawless and all our stuff was put right back like it was when we put the car in for service. I was a happy camper.

2 days later, I receive an e-mail generated CSI (Customer Satisfaction Index) survey about my "visit" to the service facility at Such and Such Toyota. The morons at the outsourced marketing company who construct these surveys are galactically stupid inasmuch as there is no provision for me to tender narrative or comments. Just Leading and manipulative questions which lend no possibility for gray area in the "experience".... so I left some questions unanswered to preserve truth and accuracy.

A week later, My guy who is truly an above average and intelligent service advisor called me up in near tears. Because my incomplete survey was considered a big fat zero, HE got punished by the company withholding 900 dollars from his monthly bonus.
My wife and I had to go down to the dealer and have a pow-wow with their service director AND the General Manager and verbally tell them what our experience went. It was a kangaroo court fiasco. He eventually got exonerated and was reinstated his money.

These games dealers play is why I left the last one in early 2003 and never looked back.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey sherman, you are a front line hero.
I have a quick question. What is the deal with this new phenomenon of giving the service techs pimps? Id like to discuss issues with the person that about to tear into my rig not the bumbbling idiot that answers the phone. (Personally, )

I don't know.... and do not miss the politics, favoritism, gnashing of teeth between departments, and game playing that goes on in those establishments.

Gixxer750

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015_2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7

ALSO, to hopefully bring some faith back to the process of love and care for the American auto. I am currently beginning litigation
I don't know.... and do not miss the politics, favoritism, gnashing of teeth between departments, and game playing that goes on in those establishments.
ALSO, to hopefully bring some faith back to the process of love and care for the American auto. I am currently beginning litigation against a dealership and have enough evidence to tear that building down with everyone inside. The vdhicle was imported wit an undisclosed to myself and the NHSTA, EPA, CBC, motor and tyranny from a 2014 in a 2015. That's just my last chance desperate evidence also. The pile I have on them is crazy and consumed me with research for 3 months.

Still living the American way, "dont tread on me" good luck and godspeed to everyone that was involved in this forum. Thank God for the Sherman Act and anti trust....pun intended

Gixxer750

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015_2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a service writer I use exclusively at my Toyota dealer which I've used for recalls on my Sequoia and Camry. I have had my oil changed when I've either been too ill or busy, but usually do myself.

That being said, here is a story that makes me very upset at the avaricious ****heads who manage dealer service departments: My Camry (2009) with about 160,000 miles on it was recalled for the dashboard that started to turn into sticky mush. I took it in, and they had it ready in under 2 days.... "Great" I thought as I thanked this fine service writer and took possession of my (wife's) car and went home. The car was flawless and all our stuff was put right back like it was when we put the car in for service. I was a happy camper.

2 days later, I receive an e-mail generated CSI (Customer Satisfaction Index) survey about my "visit" to the service facility at Such and Such Toyota. The morons at the outsourced marketing company who construct these surveys are galactically stupid inasmuch as there is no provision for me to tender narrative or comments. Just Leading and manipulative questions which lend no possibility for gray area in the "experience".... so I left some questions unanswered to preserve truth and accuracy.

A week later, My guy who is truly an above average and intelligent service advisor called me up in near tears. Because my incomplete survey was considered a big fat zero, HE got punished by the company withholding 900 dollars from his monthly bonus.
My wife and I had to go down to the dealer and have a pow-wow with their service director AND the General Manager and verbally tell them what our experience went. It was a kangaroo court fiasco. He eventually got exonerated and was reinstated his money.

These games dealers play is why I left the last one in early 2003 and never looked back.
For ***** sake, you are a good man and that is just more motivation for me to burn these corporate prices to the ground. And since I'm attacking the parent corporation I will be "accidentally " causing 7 incorporated businesses that are using L III, INC as a parent company and signer. Makes me want to go park this metcedes I'm selling in there showroom. Damn the insurance hike and tickets

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Still living the American way, "dont tread on me" good luck and godspeed to everyone that was involved in this forum. Thank God for the Sherman Act and anti trust....pun intended[/QUOTE]

Yup!

Last edited:

Gixxer750

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015_2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Still living the American way, "dont tread on me" good luck and godspeed to everyone that was involved in this forum. Thank God for the Sherman Act and anti trust....pun intended

Actually, the Sherman Anti Trust Act was enacted in 1911. It was aimed at JD Rockefeller because Standard Oil was nearly a monopoly, and he had pissed off too many powerful politicians because he wasn't corrupt enough to buy them off. These crappy politicians were attempting to drive Rockefeller out of business. It backfired, and the reconstruction of all of his entities made him even more filthy rich. To this day, the money generated by the charity trust set aside by JD himself, still self generates to the point that the give away many millions and the charity coffers continue to grow![/QUOTE]
Damn it sherman, fine, just washinton STATE RCW consumer protection laws then... you are 110% correct lol

Gixxer750

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015_2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7
sherman, exactly how far would I have to drive from spokane Washington to hire to work on any future issues?!? I know you are probably done with stuff that I wouldn't want to do either but all I can say is damn the man. The republic has been dead for years. And the lemmings just follow corporate news, its entertainment television not news for all of you who read this and believe pretty much any detail you've heard about CoVid. Im immunocompromossed from lymphoma treatment meds, no chemo, and I have only worn a mask when required at the stores. So when I start to worry, ill let you guys know their is some merit to this garbage. This disease will be irradicated after the election. Mark the calender. Meanwhile millions lose their homes, dignity, freedom, name it. For politics

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Great info Sherman. Thanks for sharing. I worked at a Ford dealership one summer while in college. My dad and uncle were both mechanics there and I was in the parts dept. I know enough about cars to know most service managers are clueless about cars. Being 18 at the time I had already rebuilt more engines than the service manager probably ever touched and probably more than a few of the mechanics there. Fun fact...this was about 1989. My uncle replaced the crankshaft in a 5.0 F150 without pulling the engine. Yep...good ole flat rate...lol.

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
My wonderful Dodge dealership changed my warranted water pump and spilled antifreeze everywhere and never rinsed it or the greasy fingerprints off.I do my own stuff mostly
oh have a better one ! so they change my water pump 36,000 mile weeks later hot weather turn on ac didn't seem to be cooling or doing great got out and no ac fan on they never plugged it back in sad right I did it my self !

cuks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I hit the autoride off road button to raise and extra 2 inches and shimmy under. not happy with filter placement just like everyone else..

Gixxer750

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015_2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7
oh have a better one ! so they change my water pump 36,000 mile weeks later hot weather turn on ac didn't seem to be cooling or doing great got out and no ac fan on they never plugged it back in sad right I did it my self !
had water pump changed in my 04 sport. the asshats flushed the coolant right into the core. no heat for 3 years in N. Idaho. Never again. now that alpha is out...they aint touching ****

Gixxer750

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015_2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hit the autoride off road button to raise and extra 2 inches and shimmy under. not happy with filter placement just like everyone else..
RIGHT. jesus my factory ride 04 was reach past the tire unscrew set down without a big jerk and install new filter. never wiped up a drop from any filter

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
Right! And my average Joe customer (not an enthusiast) grumbles that they must dig up an empty milk jug, which no longer employ screw on lids, trying to haul it to the auto parts store without spillage.... the cleanup on the driveway post repair, the wife bellyaching about the entire thing.... I get this directly from them.... My oil change with API SN+ synthetic blend with BG 115 MOA oil additive runs an average of 50-ish dollars all in to the customer. As per them, the 12 or so dollar savings ain't worth the aggravation. The nice thing is that they CAN do it! When I had my shoulder reconstructed last August (Complete rotator tear), I was unable to work at all for 6 weeks, thus had to turn away all business. My customers who needed oil changes either waited, took the car elsewhere ( a dozen or so) or did the oil change themselves!

Is "BG MOA oil additive" specified for diesels someplace? My dealer noted it on the 'free first oil change'. I've never heard of it and never used it. My 2013 RAM 2500 diesel never got any. Because I saw you mention it, I thought I ask you about it. I consider most stuff like "BG MOA oil additive" as snake oil.

46RamMan

U.S. Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I do all my own oil changes every 5000 miles......one cross threaded/ stripped drain plug was enough. Got lazy just one time.. but was a learning experience.. Not a fun one but still..

Wulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When I bought my '21 Ram, the dealer said oil change every 5k miles. Being that not doing this could give them a reason to argue I voided the warranty if I don't do this, I plan on getting it changed that often, or maybe even a little sooner.