shift kit on tranny

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
I bought this 97 dodge 1500 few months back..and just had to have it towed and the shop said torque converter, front seal, and bearings on tranny are bad. The owner blamed it on the shift kit which came with the truck..it does shift hard..anyways they are fixing it and going to make it shift smoother. Now I'm a idiot with vehicles so my question is can a shift kit really break all this? Thanks

leadrofthepak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In my experience, a "hard shift" is almost always preferable to a "smooth shift" as far as automatic transmissions are concerned. Hard shift means less slippage, less wear and tear on clutches and bands inside the tranny, smooth shifts = more wear and tear on clutches and bands.
All that considered... if it shifts TOO hard you can damage the actual gears which is infinitely worse. You end up grenading panetary gears, steels, torque converters, and such.
As far as what the shop says... unless you know these guys personally, all shops will up-sell you so you will never get a true read on what is ACTUALLY wrong. Front seal, common wear item, i can see that being true if you are leaking fluid. You had to be towed but I do not know how the truck was behaving prior to being towed to be able to tell you if this is accurate. Bearings on tranny are bad is a vary vague statement. Could mean bands, could mean frictions, could mean they just want you to pay them lots of money.

Ok so... What exactly was the truck doing when it left you sit?

OP
OP
F
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
Transmission fluid was pouring out in front of the tranny but behind the motor (not actually from the tranny) . It shifted fine though.

OP
OP
F
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
its always shifted fine, just shifts hard as hell at 30 mph/3200 rpm, always has...previous owner said its normal for that shift kit.

leadrofthepak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It should shift hard at 3200 rpm 30 mph... i'm guessing more than half throttle to get to that shift point.
Tranny fluid pouring out of the tranny/motor seal is very bad. The fact that is is still shifting fine is good sign, the rapid loss of fluid and the loss point is bad. It is a high indicator that the torque converter is bad. The good news is the torque converter is relatively cheap, the bad news is, the transmission has to come out.
While you have the tranny out there are a number of things that you can do to help extend the life of the tranny. Fluid/filter change, change out your gov pressure solenoid and sensor (common fail items), band adjustments, new u-joints, change x-fer case fluids(if 4x4), etc...

OP
OP
F
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
It should shift hard at 3200 rpm 30 mph... i'm guessing more than half throttle to get to that shift point.
Tranny fluid pouring out of the tranny/motor seal is very bad. The fact that is is still shifting fine is good sign, the rapid loss of fluid and the loss point is bad. It is a high indicator that the torque converter is bad. The good news is the torque converter is relatively cheap, the bad news is, the transmission has to come out.
While you have the tranny out there are a number of things that you can do to help extend the life of the tranny. Fluid/filter change, change out your gov pressure solenoid and sensor (common fail items), band adjustments, new u-joints, change x-fer case fluids(if 4x4), etc...

Right they have already pulled the tranny and waiting for parts. New torque converter,front seal and bearings.. all for 700$ a rebuild would cost 1400$ the owner doesn't think I need a rebuild.he just said he will make it smoother on shifting. this was used as a mudding truck before me but I am keeping it only on the road.

OP
OP
F
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
also sometimes when it shifts, it chirps the tires, the tires are 38s..

OP
OP
F
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
If I remember correctly you were the guy who has 3/4 ton axles. If the P/O went through that he might have put some gold into those diffs. Or that's just wishful thinking. Best way to find out is crack 'em open.

Yes that is correct..I suppose I do need to check it out since I am going to keep this truck until it falls a part (already replaced motor, now this tranny work, might as well keep it cause I know what has been done to it lol)

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I say keep the shift kit. It all sounds unrelated to me.

OP
OP
F
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
I say keep the shift kit. It all sounds unrelated to me.

They said the way the shift kit was installed, they cannot remove it. I would just have to buy a new tranny if I don't want the shift kit. It will remain and it will still shift hard BUT they are trying to get it smoother so it doesn't chirp my tires lol