Shift Problem TC Lockup? Line Pressure?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

etdavenport

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017, 1997
Engine
6.4, 5.9 Magnum
Truck got a new Transmission at 40K. I did not own it prior to the swap. No idea how it previously drove. Issue present before and after mods listed below.

Issue:
Downshifting from 4th to 3rd. Usually when cruising about 50mph or so and slowing to turn. So mild braking. When shifting between 4ht and 3rd, the truck will hit 3rd, grab for a second or so, then release suddenly. This causes the entire think to "Clunk!"

I have been told it could be the Torque Converter locking up then releasing.
Driveline is tight. No bad u-joints etc.

Not sure if this is related....but sometimes the truck moves. Great torque. Other times, I swear the truck is struggling to pull itself around. I have found, if I hit the gas as soon as I start driving. Really get on it. It will grab better for the rest of the drive. Same mechanic told me this could be line pressure? Lie, I am priming it somehow?

No codes. Mechanic said everything was fine. But the clunking is not normal.... And I want my truck to drive peppy and torquey all the time, not just most of the time. Why would there be a difference? This isnt like a computer learning thing. It can be different drive to drive on the same day. Something the truck just grabs and moves. Sometimes is feels sluggish... Its a built 392. It should never feel sluggish... Sometimes I just tap the pedal and it really goes. Sometimes I feel like I'm using a lot of pedal...

My Torque converter going?

2017 Dodge Ram 2500.
6.4L Gas
91 Tuned by Hemifever, fast Man Throttlebody, high flow exhaust, y-pipe and CAI
4.56 gears on 35's

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Truck got a new Transmission at 40K. I did not own it prior to the swap. No idea how it previously drove. Issue present before and after mods listed below.

Issue:
Downshifting from 4th to 3rd. Usually when cruising about 50mph or so and slowing to turn. So mild braking. When shifting between 4ht and 3rd, the truck will hit 3rd, grab for a second or so, then release suddenly. This causes the entire think to "Clunk!"

I have been told it could be the Torque Converter locking up then releasing.
Driveline is tight. No bad u-joints etc.

Not sure if this is related....but sometimes the truck moves. Great torque. Other times, I swear the truck is struggling to pull itself around. I have found, if I hit the gas as soon as I start driving. Really get on it. It will grab better for the rest of the drive. Same mechanic told me this could be line pressure? Lie, I am priming it somehow?

No codes. Mechanic said everything was fine. But the clunking is not normal.... And I want my truck to drive peppy and torquey all the time, not just most of the time. Why would there be a difference? This isnt like a computer learning thing. It can be different drive to drive on the same day. Something the truck just grabs and moves. Sometimes is feels sluggish... Its a built 392. It should never feel sluggish... Sometimes I just tap the pedal and it really goes. Sometimes I feel like I'm using a lot of pedal...

My Torque converter going?

2017 Dodge Ram 2500.
6.4L Gas
91 Tuned by Hemifever, fast Man Throttlebody, high flow exhaust, y-pipe and CAI
4.56 gears on 35's
Re-install the original tune and see how it drives.If it drives better you'll know it's tune related

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can log the pressure control solenoid amps and then compare that to the force motor current table to see what is being commanded. If you need to measure the pressure to see if there is a problem then you would have to use a pressure gauge.

OP
OP
etdavenport

etdavenport

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017, 1997
Engine
6.4, 5.9 Magnum
Re-install the original tune and see how it drives.If it drives better you'll know it's tune related
Did that. Issue existed when I bought the truck. Pre Tune. Persists with or without Tune(s) installed.