Shifting Late

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LESchwartz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I recently purchased a 2003 Dodge Ram with the 5.9 Magnum, backed up by an automatic transmission. When I first test drove it, I found the truck would hit the rev limiter in second gear when I stomped it. The dealers mechanic said it was an easy fix, and the vehicle ran fine when I picked it up. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to speak with the mechanic and he is no longer at the dealership. Also unfortunate, is that the truck is doing this again.

Any idea what the issue is and he did to correct it?

Thanks in advance,

Larry

OP
OP
L

LESchwartz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
PS: I have a Superchips programmer that covers the 2003 Ram. I tried adjusting the rev limiter, but I was still hitting the limit before the truck would shift.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
It's time for a Governor Pressure Solenoid and Transducer. They are both inside the trans pan mounted to a small aluminum block on the right side of the valve body. Very simple to remove and replace and install a new filter while inside. The trans pan gasket is reusable in most cases. As long as the rubber seal in the gasket isn't torn in any place it will be okay. I have attached a picture of the governor pressure somenoid and transducer. 51opDPBFDnL._AC_SY400_.jpg

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
RockAuto has a variety of brands. Is any one brand to be preferred over another?

Larry

I have had good luck with the
Borg-Warner products. I mainly use parts from Mopar because I'm a Chrysler technician and the discount I get on parts.

I have used the governor pressure solenoid and transducer from Rock Auto several times and I've never had any issues with one coming back for the same repair.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Adjust the Throttle Valve Cable on the passenger side of the throttle body.

It's a black, square mount with a while clip. Pay careful attention to the white clip so you don't break it.

Remove the clip and slide the cable just ever so slightly towards the front of the truck.

Then test drive the truck and retest.

You can make however many adjustments to get the shift RPM down to the rev limiter or just below.