Shock for 3” Rear Lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HTXRamExp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Researching for my future suspension upgrades for my 2019 Ram 1500 Classic and thought I’d tap the knowledge of those much more versed in suspension than myself.

I’m planning on a BDS 6” lift, utilizing the 3” rear coil spring, and Icon 2.5 coilovers in the front.

Perhaps mix-matching suspension manufacturers isn’t a big deal, but my OCD would be nagging at me with differing f/r shock manufactures. So looking for alternatives to the Fox/Nitro offerings.

Icon offers a VS 2.0 VS RR (sku 216524R) which is advertised for 0-3” of lift.

Will the performance of the shock be handicapped at all operating at its max recommended lift height?

The BDS Fox 2.0 rear shock specs are:
28.00 - Extended
16.60 - Compressed
11.40 - Travel

The Icon VS 2.0 VS RR rear shock specs are:
27.05 - Extended
16.60 - Compressed
10.45 - Travel

I’m not sure how much of an impact the differences between these two will translate to feel and performance.

Would it be worth it to reach out to Icon regarding a custom length shock, specifically for 3” of rear lift?

Also this lift is 98% motivated by cosmetics. The only off-roading the truck does is at the beaches in Galveston, or decently groomed camping trails. 95% of driving is highway between Texas and Louisiana for work. i10 isn’t so bad, but once I turn off at Lafayette and take 90 south, the road is pretty trash with sharp bumps at every joint mile after mile after mile. So I’m definitely looking for a suspension that won’t ride harshly, and adequately absorb those bumps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
HTXRamExp

HTXRamExp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Icon also offers a 2.0 VS IR shock (no remote reservoir) with the same extended/collapsed/travel specs.

I’d likely go with the IR as I doubt I’d need the extra performance of the RR shock.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Icon doesn’t have a set of Coilovers to work with a 6” lift. BDS uses Fox 2.5 Coilovers to match their 6” lift kit and they have a Fox 2.0 rear shock for their 3” lift in the back which is BDS 98224758 with the specs you listed.

OP
OP
HTXRamExp

HTXRamExp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Icon doesn’t have a set of Coilovers to work with a 6” lift. BDS uses Fox 2.5 Coilovers to match their 6” lift kit and they have a Fox 2.0 rear shock for their 3” lift in the back which is BDS 98224758 with the specs you listed.

If I used the Icon 2.5 coilover shocks set at OEM height, wouldn’t that be the same as if I used the BDS 6” lift and retained my OEM shock?

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If I used the Icon 2.5 coilover shocks set at OEM height, wouldn’t that be the same as if I used the BDS 6” lift and retained my OEM shock?

You are correct (and it’s possible, I confirmed this with Icon over the phone).

but I have to ask, if you’re going the route of coilovers why not just get the Fox co’s from BDS?

Icon list 2 other co’s for the Ram but when I called to get the lengths I got a reply stating there lengths are proprietary.................

D4E79516-5AD4-4661-9315-3A8B8DD02FFF.png

OP
OP
HTXRamExp

HTXRamExp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You are correct (and it’s possible, I confirmed this with Icon over the phone).

but I have to ask, if you’re going the route of coilovers why not just get the Fox co’s from BDS?

Icon list 2 other co’s for the Ram but when I called to get the lengths I got a reply stating there lengths are proprietary.................

View attachment 215043

I haven’t had much luck either reaching out to Icon directly to get information. But I’ve only used email.

The reason I was planning the icon route was to be able to purchase items over time. I could get the 2.5 front icons, install them and see how I like them, then later get the lift and necessary rear components.

Suppose I could still decide at that point to get the BDS Fox coilovers if I wasn’t satisfied with the Icons.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I haven’t had much luck either reaching out to Icon directly to get information. But I’ve only used email.

The reason I was planning the icon route was to be able to purchase items over time. I could get the 2.5 front icons, install them and see how I like them, then later get the lift and necessary rear components.

Suppose I could still decide at that point to get the BDS Fox coilovers if I wasn’t satisfied with the Icons.

I hear ya, I’ve contemplated this route as well.

good luck with emailing Icon, it takes about 2 weeks to hear back from them

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Researching for my future suspension upgrades for my 2019 Ram 1500 Classic and thought I’d tap the knowledge of those much more versed in suspension than myself.

I’m planning on a BDS 6” lift, utilizing the 3” rear coil spring, and Icon 2.5 coilovers in the front.

Perhaps mix-matching suspension manufacturers isn’t a big deal, but my OCD would be nagging at me with differing f/r shock manufactures. So looking for alternatives to the Fox/Nitro offerings.

Icon offers a VS 2.0 VS RR (sku 216524R) which is advertised for 0-3” of lift.

Will the performance of the shock be handicapped at all operating at its max recommended lift height?

The BDS Fox 2.0 rear shock specs are:
28.00 - Extended
16.60 - Compressed
11.40 - Travel

The Icon VS 2.0 VS RR rear shock specs are:
27.05 - Extended
16.60 - Compressed
10.45 - Travel

I’m not sure how much of an impact the differences between these two will translate to feel and performance.

Would it be worth it to reach out to Icon regarding a custom length shock, specifically for 3” of rear lift?

Also this lift is 98% motivated by cosmetics. The only off-roading the truck does is at the beaches in Galveston, or decently groomed camping trails. 95% of driving is highway between Texas and Louisiana for work. i10 isn’t so bad, but once I turn off at Lafayette and take 90 south, the road is pretty trash with sharp bumps at every joint mile after mile after mile. So I’m definitely looking for a suspension that won’t ride harshly, and adequately absorb those bumps.

I would not mismatch and trust me you want the Fox set up. its not worth the couple hundred dollars that you'll save. We have all been there before, believe me just do the BDS lift with the fox option and you will not regret it. If you want to save a little coin get the Zone 6" lift then order the Fox separate. @Nick@GotExhaust can order everything for you with a forum discount if you're planning the install yourself.

The icon kit is purpose built to be by itself, will it work with bds, yes but for the money Fox full length coil overs with no spacers is in my opinion the way to go