Shock question from a newb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Barty88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco diesel
Not lifting yet, but thougt this might be a good place to ask this question. I have a brand new set of shocks I put on an old truck and immediately afterwards blew the head gasket. They are 76761 napa fleet grande shocks.

My question revolves around the discrepancy of specs for shocks that are 'Exact fit" on websites such as Advanced auto, napa, auto anything etc. Compressed length, extended length and travel length all vary greatly.

For instance on advance they have many shocks but two that are "exact fit are the Monroe 34516 which have specs of 10.75 (compressed), 15.875 (compressed), and 5.125 inches (travel). Their 59626 are 16, 26.5, 10.5 respectively... thats a hell of a difference.

My 76761 Napas are in between at 13.125, 21.75, 8.625 repectively. Besides why the heck is this?... My question is can I use my almost new Napa s or will it mess something up, or will it be a crappy ride? I wont be off-raoding with this, just a daily driver and occaissonal work or tow.

Confused... thanks!