Shocks and struts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trip1027

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
When do you absolutely know when you need new shocks and struts?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Shocks also known as 'dampeners' control the bouncing that's created by the springs (as they interact with uneven ground). Some are single acting (work on the way 'up'), some are double-acting (dampen 'down' and 'up'). I'm actually not sure what Dodge puts on the rams when new. So if you notice the vehicle bouncing after uneven ground or bumps, then the shocks aren't 'dampening' the spring action like they should.

One test is to walk around the truck and push down at each corner once. If it rebounds once and stays, that's a good sign. If it rebounds up but then goes down and rebounds again, that's bad. Mileage isn't a good test because some shocks last a lot longer than others depending on a number of different factors including how the vehicle is used. I think the shocks on our Jeep are still the OEM's at just abot 200k. I have some on a 150k mi Land Rover which are factory (they use Bilestines) and still good too. I was going to replace the Jeep shocks but guys say (and I agree) they are still good! Some guys are going to say 30k miles ....but really, nobody tests them on a machine. I guess since you're asking you must have some reason to think yours might be towards the end of their life?? What are you noticing?

Another test is if you see oil leakage at any shock or noticing a significant amount of bouncing. They can still be good if they are starting to leak, but won't be for long. Problem is the degradation is gradual and a person gets 'used' to the current state of handling and often doesn't notice when they're shot. Shocks are valved differently for different stiffness so some guys like different shocks than OEM for that. I've also read ...and I can't prove this or even if it's true, but it makes sense: the shocks they sell over the parts counter could be re-branded Monroe's (or gabriel's) and not the 'same' type or quality of shocks that are supplied by the supplier and installed on the assembly line.

It's really hard to tell what 'good' is on shocks. Everyone has an opinion and unless you had two identical vehicles with different shocks and toggled between them on the same terrain would you really be able to say one is better than the other for these reasons. A lot of guys replace so-called 'bad' shocks from their vehicle with new ones ..trade in their vehicle in a couple years but somehow those one pair of shocks were the 'best' they ever used. ??? I've put on different type of shocks before trying to go from one to the other and at first I'm like, "hey, this is better." but then after a while I really wonder if they really ARE better or is it just me? Well, I don't have the old ones on to compare with (unless the former shocks were REALLY shot like oil all leaked out. but that's not what I'm talking about). Overall, I've had good luck with Monroe Sensitrac's but in general most Gabriel and Monroe shocks I've had didn't last anywhere NEAR as long as they claimed. They tent to rust up right away and leak fast. I've installed so many shocks on vehicles ...I submit that there must be a 1 in 4 failure rate in the American shock industry. It's abysmal. If you don't mind spending the $$ and plan to keep your vehicle, Bilestiens or KYB are probably the best. I'm sure you'll get a lot of opinions.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Jeff CA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Guys on here usually use Bilstein 5100 struts on the front to level their trucks. I installed only Bilstein 4600 shocks on the rear, as I'm keeping stock ride height, and it made a huge difference. The rear 4600s are cheap to buy and install so I would recommend them for any Ram owner.