Should I add a 2nd trans cooler?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jhill7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just purchased a new travel trailer which weighs in at about 6500 lbs loaded. I know that the trans in these 3rd gens is a solid build, but I want to provide as much protection as possible. I would rather be over cautious than replacing a transmission 2 years from now. I have a 2007 Hemi with 135k miles. Here are my questions and possible solutions, I am hoping to have some feedback here.

The truck has the smaller aux cooler for the transmission, should I add another in front of the condenser? This wouldn't take much work and would be under $75. Would it be helpful and provide a noticable change?

I have read that some add a spin-on transmission filter and manifold. I am a big believer in extra filtration, but would this addition be worth the money?

Third, I am really really wanting to keep an eye on trans fluid temps. I have a superchips 3865 and it shows an option to monitor the temps from the NGC3 sensors, but every time I try it only shows a blank screen. I currently have an email in with superchips tech support and hope to have an answer soon. If I can't monitor the temps that way, should I just invest in a sensor and gauge? I could monitor the temps on the line out from trans to get the hottest reading.

Thanks for any help. I am really ticked that I paid almost $400 for the 3865 and it wont show my trans temps. I hope superchips can help out there. Any advise is appreciated!

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I think the 2500 & 3500 models have a much larger trans. cooler, and it is a bolt in that replaces the stock 1500 cooler.

OP
OP
J

Jhill7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the fast replies! What about monitoring the temps? Would this be possible via my superchips 3865? Isn't there a thermister already in the trans?