Should I go Rockfords or kickers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EazyE02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've been wanting to upgrade my speakers in my 2017 Ram 1500 Express, but I'm was wondering should I go speakers first then subs? Will I need to install a new unit, I have Uconnect but it's the one for the base model trucks, not the 5.0 or up.

88ROOK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
quality amps are whats going to produce clear sound, along with some good door speakers is what you're going to start with. you can keep the factory HU and get yourself an LOC or fosgate DSR1

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was debating on getting some kickers. Idk what fits the quad cabs though. I’m not very knowledgeable about sound systems but I know when I swapped the 3.0 to the 5.0 my sound quality was significantly better. It’s plug and play. Any radio 14 and newer 5.0 will fit our trucks

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I put some JBL Club series speakers in my truck with the oem head unit and they made a major improvement in sound over the stock speakers.

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've been wanting to upgrade my speakers in my 2017 Ram 1500 Express, but I'm was wondering should I go speakers first then subs? Will I need to install a new unit, I have Uconnect but it's the one for the base model trucks, not the 5.0 or up.

What are you trying to achieve? Just swapping speakers will improve the sound but it won’t be a lot louder than it is now. You mentioned adding subs, if you go big with subs than the rest won’t keep up without an amp.

You can keep the factory radio and build from that. It won’t sound as good as a quality aftermarket head unit, but, you can always build the rest then swap the head unit later.

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
I like good sound, but also don't like to go crazy. Every car or truck I've had Jbl or infinity has been great. Door speakers will be a easy upgrade and prob cost less than $170 for all 4, use some sound deadening or closed cell foam sheets on doors, I used both, sound deadening in the door metal, then put a layer of closed cell foam on back plastic door shell, stopped rattles and improved sound quality. Can find a box of butyl sound deadening for good price, I used Noico and is like $20 for 10 square feet. Closed cell I bought from China, about same price as the noico. Do it right the first time and should never have to remove panels again. Once you add better speakers, eventually you will be wanting to stop rattles.

OP
OP
EazyE02

EazyE02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm wanting to go speakers first, and maybe add the deadening. Then the subs will come later.. If I add subs I would have to change out the OEM radio correct?

88ROOK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I use the fosgate DSR1,, everything you would need for precise tuning

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I swapped speakers and amplified in my Bighorn.

I did the Mopar midbass 6x9, Kicker KSC354 in dash with a Kicker KEY1804 DSP Smart amp (45x4)....HUGE difference. Probably around $350 retail.

OP
OP
EazyE02

EazyE02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks! I will have to research what ohms I would need and either the 3 way or 2 way. I think 3 ways in the front and 2 ways in the back. Not really familiar with the speakers and sub stuff