Should I stay away from Hemi because if breaking manifold bolts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SGBCAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
They had issues in 2009 to 2012, I had an '09 and had to replace a few - then had a '14 and a '16 and never had an issue.

Rick Wilson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If i could do it over, i would buy any truck but a ram. just bought a ram last july .. I got the 2018 5.7 express truck and it is honestly pure garbage. Had so many issues when i first bought it, and adding more everyday, frame has already rusted, engine sounds like it is on its last legs, takes about 30 seconds to shift from 1st to second on a cold startup. and every literally every single thing in the cab that can squeak does, and all this wonder and joy for only $57 000. Dealer refuses to acknowledge the "Hemi" tick he calls it when i start it engine sounds like it will explode, any time it drops below -17 here in Canada almost every night during winter the engine just screams like a banshee on startup this truck is pure dog turds like literally crap. I really dont think this thing will make it to 80 000 km

OP
OP
H

Haas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If i could do it over, i would buy any truck but a ram. just bought a ram last july .. I got the 2018 5.7 express truck and it is honestly pure garbage. Had so many issues when i first bought it, and adding more everyday, frame has already rusted, engine sounds like it is on its last legs, takes about 30 seconds to shift from 1st to second on a cold startup. and every literally every single thing in the cab that can squeak does, and all this wonder and joy for only $57 000. Dealer refuses to acknowledge the "Hemi" tick he calls it when i start it engine sounds like it will explode, any time it drops below -17 here in Canada almost every night during winter the engine just screams like a banshee on startup this truck is pure dog turds like literally crap. I really dont think this thing will make it to 80 000 km

wow, my guess would be that screeching you describe on cold starts, may be the power steering pump just whining from the extreme cold. Other than that, you're one of the rare ones that is unhappy. With all that, I guess I don't blame you.

JimmieRT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have
Apparently, Hemi's are well known ( at least in the Rams) for breaking exhaust manifold bolt over time. I understand it's due to different metal expansion rates, but Chrysler/Fiat is not doing anything about it unless your vehicle is still under warranty. Once warranty is out, you're on your own.

Would this be a reason for someone to stay away from the Hemi's, if buying a slightly used Ram?
I'm shopping a little bit right now, and would love a Hemi, but don't want to have to keep paying for broken bolts, and the labor to remove and replace them.

Anyone know how costly it is to do?
a 2012 R/T
Apparently, Hemi's are well known ( at least in the Rams) for breaking exhaust manifold bolt over time. I understand it's due to different metal expansion rates, but Chrysler/Fiat is not doing anything about it unless your vehicle is still under warranty. Once warranty is out, you're on your own.

Would this be a reason for someone to stay away from the Hemi's, if buying a slightly used Ram?
I'm shopping a little bit right now, and would love a Hemi, but don't want to have to keep paying for broken bolts, and the labor to remove and replace them.

JimmieRT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Rick ,

I guess your truck sounds like a Delorean ....

;)

Capture-d-cran-2019-05-14-21-25-30.png
I have a 12 R/T with 86.000 on it and no issues yet and i knew about this issue when i bought mine and with all the other Ram issues and it certainly wasn’t a reason for me to not by mine seeing as how it took me almost two years to find the truck i wanted

jayr1956

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

jayr1956

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2009 Ram 1500 Hemi had the boths on both side break. There is a new style exhaust manifold that is supposed to take care of this problem. I had them replaced at 105000 and at 162000 they are still fine.

Cwils80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We need to embrace the Hemi tick! That's straight horsepower busting through the seems!! HOTDAMN nothing but bald eagles coming out of there lol

Also hell throw some shortys on there around 80k miles instead. You can get some used for fairly cheap. Plus you get some gains

JimmieRT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I work for a Chrysler Dodge Ram dealership and it’s a common issue but if you have them done before they brake it’s 4 hours labor so 400 to have them done and not have to worry about it so then you have the truck you want and not have to settle for a 3.6

Cowboy770

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 D
I have a 07 ram that I just put shorty headers on and had one already broken and one broke on me. It’s no big deal. There’s a lot from Lisle that allows you to drill out the broken bolts with no prob. DO NOT USE A EXTRACTOR!! If it snaps you will spend hours using a dremel grinding it out.

OP
OP
H

Haas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I work for a Chrysler Dodge Ram dealership and it’s a common issue but if you have them done before they brake it’s 4 hours labor so 400 to have them done and not have to worry about it so then you have the truck you want and not have to settle for a 3.6

Yeah, except now I've become more concerned with the failures of the lifter, and the way it takes out a lobe on the cam shaft. How many of those have you seen?

DriftMachine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
As for broken Exhaust bolts I got a few tips.

1. Before removal. Spray the bolts in pb blaster and let sit overnight. I would do this a few times if possible.
2. Use 8 point sockets. Last thing you need is slippage.
3. On bolts that seem to need more effort try going tighter just to get a creak. Less than a 16th of a turn. Then go back to loosen, and it should go fine.
4. if that dont work, Give the bolts a little impact to break them loose.

This almost always works for me.
When you put the bolts back on, use anti seize compound on the threads. Once you use the anti seize compound you should never have to worry about snapping exhaust bolts again.
I hope this helps out someone.

Mr Rich

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm a new 2500HD 6.4L owner and I'm very pleased with my truck so far. I'm wondering if it ever became an issue for me I'd rather use ARP fasteners in place of stock manifold bolts. As a longtime Chevy owner it was never a problem on my 350SBC but BBC seem to have a common problem with exhaust manifolds cracking and broken studs and the BBC I have is no exception. I'm wondering if the issue becomes more acute the harder the truck is worked and the engine runs hotter with corresponding heat in the exhaust manifolds exacerbating the problem with the exhaust manifold bolts.

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had them look at inspection. I could hear the ticking this winter and they said they didn’t hear anything. I also have a squeal at 2k rpm when I goose it and they tell me they can’t hear that either. Well no **** guys it doesn’t do it at idle and I told them it happens when I drive.

parkerbows

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Multiple year Chevy 5.3L engines had lifter issues that destroyed camshafts. Now there’s an expensive fix!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
not sure if you have seen all the issues with the hemi and lifters destroying cams but its happening. my fiends ram is waiting on an engine. its been in the shop since January. ship date on engine from ram is august

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
H

Haas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
not sure if you have seen all the issues with the hemi and lifters destroying cams but its happening. my fiends ram is waiting on an engine. its been in the shop since January. ship date on engine from ram is august

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Exactly. This will probably keep me away from buying a hemi, unless I can get the dealer to give me and extended warranty that will cover that.