Side mirror disassemble for paint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slickity79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello all this is my first post. I recently had Retroshop smooth and paint my textured mirror caps to match the truck. I have a 2012 Ram Express in Mineral Grey Metallic. Here is how to remove the caps:
1. Move the mirror to point down as far as it will go so your fingers will fit between the top of the mirror and the plastic housing.
2. Use both hands and grab the top of the mirrors and firmly pull towards you until it pops loose.
3. Pull the top of the mirror towards you to release the bottom hooks then pull up to remove it. You don't have to disconnect any wires to remove the cover, just turn the mirror facing down and the housing will hold it.
4. Remove the three torx head screws, pull the plastic retainer towards the outside of the of the housing and the cover will come loose. You will have to move it around to get it completely off. I've attached some pics that will hopefully help out.

Attachments

• mirrorcover.jpg
    mirrorcover.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 537
  • mirrorcover1.jpg
    mirrorcover1.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 322
  • mirrorcovers2.jpg
    mirrorcovers2.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 251
  • mirrorcover2.jpg
    mirrorcover2.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 586
  • mirrorcovers1.jpg
    mirrorcovers1.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 396

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
Ricky......you tease!

Post up the pics of 'em done too! LOL

OP
OP
Slickity79

Slickity79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here are some before and after pics, still haven't been able to post pics other than with attachments. The first two are before and the last two are after. Enjoy!

Attachments

• truck1-1.jpg
    truck1-1.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 192
  • MyTruck2.jpg
    MyTruck2.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 199
  • myTruck1.jpg
    myTruck1.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 170
  • myTruck.jpg
    myTruck.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
OP
OP
Slickity79

Slickity79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Also, this truck came with the auto-dim rear-view mirror and just power/heated side mirrors. I bought a set of power/heated, side turn signal with auto-dim mirrors from a guy on ebay. They were also black textured, and when I put them on my truck the auto-dim part worked but the turn signals didn't. So, since the rest of the housing is the same on both mirrors I decided to get the original caps painted. I really like the auto-dim and the way these look painted without the turn signals.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
Thanks for the extra pics Ricky!

ATOM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
nice! in the process of doing the same swap. who buys that color :crazy:

Terry2014RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello all this is my first post. I recently had Retroshop smooth and paint my textured mirror caps to match the truck. I have a 2012 Ram Express in Mineral Grey Metallic. Here is how to remove the caps:
1. Move the mirror to point down as far as it will go so your fingers will fit between the top of the mirror and the plastic housing.
2. Use both hands and grab the top of the mirrors and firmly pull towards you until it pops loose.
3. Pull the top of the mirror towards you to release the bottom hooks then pull up to remove it. You don't have to disconnect any wires to remove the cover, just turn the mirror facing down and the housing will hold it.
4. Remove the three torx head screws, pull the plastic retainer towards the outside of the of the housing and the cover will come loose. You will have to move it around to get it completely off. I've attached some pics that will hopefully help out.
On Step 2, mine just separates the tilt motor, finger half from the ball half at the top and it is very difficult to put them back on.

Anyone know a way to get the mirror off without separating the tilt motor? I tried this weekend and never got the mirror removed but pulled hard enough to separate the tilt motor top half.

Thank you

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
On Step 2, mine just separates the tilt motor, finger half from the ball half at the top and it is very difficult to put them back on.

Anyone know a way to get the mirror off without separating the tilt motor? I tried this weekend and never got the mirror removed but pulled hard enough to separate the tilt motor top half.

Thank you
Sometimes this happens, can ruin that motor too. I move mirror all the way down then in and use a flat head screw driver to pop one of the clips out and then pull down to release the other.
Its just hard to find where to stick the driver at 1st unless ya know how these things work.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
The 2009 - 2012 exterior mirrors come apart much simpler then the 2013 & newer

My 2009 Dodge Ram was parked on the street, a truck or car with lumber or something else sticking out, struck my mirror, honestly, it could have been punk teenagers using a baseball bat.

1654074969893.png

1654075267612.png

1654075578040.png

1654075471891.png

1654075771991.png

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's a good looking truck my friend!
best color in the world too, but I may be a little biased? lol
share some better pictures if you have them.
My Granite Crystal 03 Hemi here.
IMG_2051.JPG

Terry2014RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sometimes this happens, can ruin that motor too. I move mirror all the way down then in and use a flat head screw driver to pop one of the clips out and then pull down to release the other.
Its just hard to find where to stick the driver at 1st unless ya know how these things work.
I have tried that but with the ridge outline on the mirror part I don't see any way get a screw driver in between the mirror and motor clip to un-clip it. Do you know where the best place to put the screw driver that will prey it apart?

Also when I folded it back to get at it I must have cut a wire because my driver mirror no longer tilts down in reverse or recalls the mem position.