Side Steps vs. Running Boards - What are your experiences?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BLS

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport - Blue Streak
Engine
5.7 Hemi
***UPDATE***

Went with wheel-to-wheel Luverne Grip Steps.
I know I won't slip on them. Of course, if I do, I'll be reminded for the rest of my life as I'll likely be missing flesh.

F143755817.jpg

luverne-grip-step-running-boards-detail-no-logo.jpg

New 1500, no running boards or steps currently.

Going through the ridiculous number of options.

Decided I do want wheel to wheel coverage though.

I like the look of the Nfab durasteps, but I wonder what people think of the step design versus the full length running boards.

On my 2011 I had OE boards and I hated that they felt flimsy when stepping on them. They never bent, but didn't give you that feeling of them being mounted securely.

My holdup on the NFab Nerf Bars is I wonder how good of a foot 'purchase' you get on them when stepping in or out. I don't want someone falling or slipping and getting hurt. Myself especially. :roflsquared:

Any input thoughts?

NFab Nerf Bars
NFabW2WGallery2.109.jpg

NFab Durastep
n-fab-n-durastep-bed-access-content-1.jpg

Running Board example I'm looking at.
4INW2WBLACK_BAR_IMAGE.jpg

madrock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had Go Rhino steps on my old Titan, which are designed like the first NFab you have listed. The pads were way too slippery, especially in rain and snow. I had a couple people slip off and land on the pads. The surface of the pads were like a cheese grater so it cut them up pretty good.

Lund seems to have come out with their own version as well. As for myself, I am leaning towards AMP steps but the cost is crazy.

lund_terrain_hx_step_bars_step_detail.jpg

OP
OP
B

BLS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had Go Rhino steps on my old Titan, which are designed like the first NFab you have listed. The pads were way too slippery, especially in rain and snow. I had a couple people slip off and land on the pads. The surface of the pads were like a cheese grater so it cut them up pretty good.

Lund seems to have come out with their own version as well. As for myself, I am leaning towards AMP steps but the cost is crazy.

lund_terrain_hx_step_bars_step_detail.jpg

OK, so I'm lost on your comment. You said they're like a cheese grater and cut people up, but they're still slippery?

And honestly, that was my fear; they look great, but functionality sucks.

Thanks for your reply!

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I like step bars more vs. running boards because of the looks, functionality and mine have a nice grippy pad on them.

SB%2004_zpsrix3cswv.jpg

lukedukem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i have the Nfab on my third Gen, the pads are on the small side. i have a 12.5 size boot in extra wide, it doesn't fit all the way on the step. plus it is slippery when it gets wet (that's what she said). so what i did was got some bed liner spray and put it on the steps. it added the grip i needed. i where dress boots alot and they don't have good grip to begin with.

Luke

Attachments

• IMG_0146.JPG
    IMG_0146.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 125

lukedukem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
on my 4th Gen i have the factory steps, and you are right, they feel flimsy. my brother in law had them on his outdoorsman, and one of his broke off. the mounting area is a joke, and the bolts ripped right out of it. but it was a really big guy who was stepping on it. i will keep them and hope they hold up. if not i will probably go with the third ones you posted, the running boards

Luke

Attachments

• lukedukemnewtruck.jpg
    lukedukemnewtruck.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 126

JGBimle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a set of NFab wheel to wheel with bed access...currently in my garage. I like the step and design of them but the finish sucks. I plan on putting them back on the truck but first need to repaint or spray them with bedliner. They didn't make it a full year without chipping and rusting in multiple places. Aside from the surface rust on a few spots the finish in general just didn't look good to me. Wish I would've gotten the textured finish rather than gloss black I got.

OP
OP
B

BLS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I might have to go with frame mounted, wheel to wheel running boards.

Clever

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the go rhino low profile running boards, I wanted something low key for aesthetics. So far no complains.

Sorry about the sideways pic, not sure how to rotate from my phone.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 154

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
I have been really happy with the Luverne grip steps

worth a look

Grip Steps

wish I had a better pic ?

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2000.jpg
    2000.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 596

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
i had a set of the go rhinos on my last truck (very similar to the n-fabs). a friend of mine has the n-fabs on his chevy. the finish on both sucks. aside from being slippery, they start rusting out pretty quick, so i suggest either getting them powdercoated or line-x'ed before you install them (if you go that route). as far as looks go, they are the best looking steps out there. functionality wise, not so much. they are a bit awkward to step up into the truck at first, but you get used to it. stepping out of the truck, they are useless. if thats important to you, dont buy them. i put a set of westin oval bars on my new truck. they were a heck of a lot cheaper then what i spent on the go rhinos and they seem like a good sturdy step.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
My personal favorite are the AMP steps

OP
OP
B

BLS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have been really happy with the Luverne grip steps

worth a look

Grip Steps

wish I had a better pic ?

attachment.php

I have been looking into those. I actually like the aggressive footstep and simplistic design. How are they mounted? Frame or body?
Do they hold up I the winter (do you guys get road salt?)? Are they sturdy?

Any chance you could get a closer pic? I'd like to see how far they sit out from the frame.

OP
OP
B

BLS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
i had a set of the go rhinos on my last truck (very similar to the n-fabs). a friend of mine has the n-fabs on his chevy. the finish on both sucks. aside from being slippery, they start rusting out pretty quick, so i suggest either getting them powdercoated or line-x'ed before you install them (if you go that route). as far as looks go, they are the best looking steps out there. functionality wise, not so much. they are a bit awkward to step up into the truck at first, but you get used to it. stepping out of the truck, they are useless. if thats important to you, dont buy them. i put a set of westin oval bars on my new truck. they were a heck of a lot cheaper then what i spent on the go rhinos and they seem like a good sturdy step.

Yeah that's kind of what I've been hearing. Look good...don't work all that great.

Thanks!

keithert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a set of Westin brand side steps coming today for my 2016. In researching them I learned that there was a change made to the mounts on the truck in mid 2015. When I called Westin they confirmed that the new boards will come with the correct hardware. But when looking at various brands make sure they're for the 2016 because they're different than the earlier models.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
I have been looking into those. I actually like the aggressive footstep and simplistic design. How are they mounted? Frame or body?
Do they hold up I the winter (do you guys get road salt?)? Are they sturdy?

Any chance you could get a closer pic? I'd like to see how far they sit out from the frame.

They are aluminum, so they hold up great and look like the day I installed them, stainless hardware , they have L brackets that mount to the underside of the body above the clamp weld, there are rods that attach to the frame and bracket horizontally to make them very stout.

I can take some better pictures for, the best thing is snow and ice are easily removed as there really is nothing to lay on, slip proof teeth are nice as well in the winter.

If you do slip these teeth will shred you shins pretty bad though

They do have a very aggressive look, that is what I liked about them the most

attachment.php

Attachments

• 4000.jpg
    4000.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 452
Reactions: BLS
OP
OP
B

BLS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They are aluminum, so they hold up great and look like the day I installed them, stainless hardware , they have L brackets that mount to the underside of the body above the clamp weld, there are rods that attach to the frame and bracket horizontally to make them very stout.

I can take some better pictures for, the best thing is snow and ice are easily removed as there really is nothing to lay on, slip proof teeth are nice as well in the winter.

If you do slip these teeth will shred you shins pretty bad though

They do have a very aggressive look, that is what I liked about them the most

attachment.php

Excellent! Thanks Brother!

OP
OP
B

BLS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the go rhino low profile running boards, I wanted something low key for aesthetics. So far no complains.

Sorry about the sideways pic, not sure how to rotate from my phone.

Sharp truck!

Clever

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sharp truck!

Thanks, I've only had it since mid June, I'm still deciding if I'm going to level or lift and wheel/tire combo I'm going with. That's too bad about the go rhino, I live in one of the worst places for winter too, so I'll keep an eye out for any rusts or peeling.

keithert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got my Westin nerf boards today. They took me about 2 hours to install. I like them for the $178 I paid. 5c77f0ed94e0b2fe43542ede059c1a61.jpg

2f6c9814ff285382cb97c4f772b06d9f.jpg