Skid Plate Included

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BucFanTitan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Hello RamForum

New Ram truck owner!!!! Purchased a 2023 Long Horn. Great looking truck really excited to have it.

I have a question should a type of skid plate come with a 4x4? I don't see anything on the window sticker and when crawling under the truck everything looks wide open. On my older truck I had a metal plate under the front engine section. Just wondering if everyone else truck is like mine? Is it missing? Or am I looking at them and they are different on this truck, only cover a section or two?

If I missed this in another thread sorry about that.

Thank you

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
From my understanding only the outdoorsman came with skid plates, (someone please correct me if I am mistaken).

I do know that for 5th gens, even the rear wheel well liners are a factory option. I would bet that the undercarriage armor is an add on or aftermarket option too.

Welcome to the forum by the way!

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can order it on the Big Horn - it is a package called "Protection Group" OR it is standard with the "Back Country Package" on the new Ram 1500 models.

My 16 Outdoorsman had skid plates as standard equipment.

Papa Red

Papa Red
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
In 2020 it was something you had to select when ordering.

Red

Stavinksi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The off road group (ORG) with eLocker differential also
came with fuel tank, transfer case, and oil pan skid plates, at least in 2022. That package also gave “heavy duty” shocks with 1” lift over normal, and different wheels and tires. With the air suspension, ORG eliminates one of the height settings as everything is 1” higher. Skid plates do not come with four wheel drive powertrain by itself just for being 4x4. Debate the logic all we want, that’s what RAM decided. That’s the configuration I ordered on mine. Was cheaper than adding everything individually.

OP
OP
B

BucFanTitan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Its not on my window sticker I went through the sticker again. So out of that protection package is there one plate really worth having?

Thanks

CoZo6

2021 Longhorn Limited 1500
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
Its not on my window sticker I went through the sticker again. So out of that protection package is there one plate really worth having?

Thanks
I might suggest taking a look see under your truck as your opinion my be different mine, but the first one that might get damaged, driving forward would be the steering. But if your in the rocks and boulders, you might consider something else as more important.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My '21 Warlock included the 'Protection Group' but I called the sales manager the next day and said, I think they forgot to add the skid plates. I requested to have them added at the dealership.

His notes said they were added and after looking online, I confirmed the feeble FCA-style skid plates. No wonder the option wasn't expensive. IIRC, there's a skinny plate below the steering rack and a tiny one below the transfer case. I doubt they'll be of much use if the terrain gets lively.

Had I known the OEM skid plates were so tiny, I would have bought aftermarket and moved on.

My Tundra Limited had full coverage for the Steering rack, transfer case, and fuel tank. And they were large and generous with the coverage.