Sliding rear window and switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JosephA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Don't know if anyone else is bothered by this but the switch for my sliding rear window seems to be counter intuitive. Press the switch left and the window goes right. Press it right the window goes left. Decided to see how this could be fixed so I pulled the overhead console down by pulling it down from the rear which releases 4 retainers. The front of the console then slides out from the headliner.

The switch is held by clips on either side and pops out very easily. Sure enough you can flip the switch over and insert it upside down and the switch will now work as it should. Push it left and the window goes left. Push it right and the window goes right. Only thing is the button is shaped a certain way that it's now a bit uncomfortable using it. I took the switch out again and the part of the switch that toggles side to side pops off very easily and can be put on backwards too.

So remove the console, remove the switch, remove the toggle and put it in backwards, insert the switch backwards, put the console back and now the window will move in the direction of the switch.

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Huh interesting never thought of doing that but thats a great idea. I might just do that

insanitize

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the info. I've always been bothered by this too

chrgdrt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I too was bothered by that. tried flipping the switch but didn't like that, eventually I purchased another OHC with the homelink in it and it had the switch for an '11 which doesn't havr the contour so I flipped that one.

With this new info I may take another look at my original switch.

Thanks for the post :thumbup:

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Save the trouble... just watch he window open/close in the rear view mirror, and all will seem to move in the proper directional motion. :roflsquared: EDIT: WRONG!!!

Brakelate philosophy 101; All that you can put in your life's rear view mirror should not matter, and thus rotate in the proper direction within the universe. Also, left seems right and right seems left when looking into the past through said rear view mirror. Thus, the stock switch direction begins to make sense. Listen now, and hear me later, as I whisper my ******** into the wind says I .

But, try it.
:naughty:

Last edited:

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Weird, mine is a push/pull type. Push to open, pull to close.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Darwin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Don't know if anyone else is bothered by this but the switch for my sliding rear window seems to be counter intuitive. Press the switch left and the window goes right. Press it right the window goes left. Decided to see how this could be fixed so I pulled the overhead console down by pulling it down from the rear which releases 4 retainers. The front of the console then slides out from the headliner.

The switch is held by clips on either side and pops out very easily. Sure enough you can flip the switch over and insert it upside down and the switch will now work as it should. Push it left and the window goes left. Push it right and the window goes right. Only thing is the button is shaped a certain way that it's now a bit uncomfortable using it. I took the switch out again and the part of the switch that toggles side to side pops off very easily and can be put on backwards too.

So remove the console, remove the switch, remove the toggle and put it in backwards, insert the switch backwards, put the console back and now the window will move in the direction of the switch.

JosephA thank you so much. I just followed your directions and flipped my switch and it is perfect. That has bothered me since the day I got the truck. It is backwards no more.

Darwin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

JosephA thank you so much. I just followed your directions and flipped my switch and it is perfect. That has bothered me since the day I got the truck. It is backwards no more.

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
BRAKELATE aka: "Mr. Wannabefunny" choked!

Thanks for the info. I've always been bothered by this too

You know what... I was wrong! In my previous (attempt at a humorous response) I gave what may be misleading info to folks in a somewhat serious thread for us ADD types.

Even looking in the Rear View facing forwards, if you watch the window, it appears to be "Backwards".

Great. Thanks. Never bothered me before, and now it will bug the **** out of me until I do this "Fix" .

To JosephA I both thank, and hate you.

No, seriously. Great find, tip and fix instructional "how to".

:favorites13:

Coop427

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did it today, literally took me less than 2 minutes. Thanks Joseph, nice find.

Quint

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Big Horn 1500
Engine
5.7L v8 eTorque
I just did this mod too, on a work break. Two notes:

1) There are a few electrical connections that you'll have to unplug (at least there were in my 2015) after pulling the console down. Otherwise my hands were too big to fit in there to fix the switch.

2) I mis-understood the OPs directions. I saw the electrical connection and figured that this is what needed to be rotated around. Luckily I couldn't break that out with my limited tools.

So for the semi-mechanically impaired such as myself, the procedure is:
__a) Use fingers or flat screwdriver to pull down console. There are two clips in the rear, two on each side that need to pop down. Then two feet towards the windshield that need to slide out.
__b) Unhook electrical connections for the garage door and reading lights, if needed.
__c) Use flat screwdriver to pop out rear window switch - little tabs on each side.
__d) Use flat screwdriver to pry off the plastic teeter-totter switch that you touch with your finger to operate the window. Turn the teeter-totter switch around and re-insert onto the unit.
__e) Turn the entire rear window unit switch around and re-insert into the console. At this point you've turned the unit around so that you pull left for it to open, and push right to close. You've also reversed the tetter-totter switch so that it still faces the same direction that it did originally.
__f) Check to make sure that it works as planned. My switch was catching on something and not moving freely, so I had to re-seat the switch onto the entire unit.
__g) Plug garage & reading light connections back into the housing.
__h) Slide feet back into front of headliner.
__i) Press console back into place, being sure to hear each of the four pressure clips pop back into place.
__j) Reward yourself with a cool beverage.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L

--------------------------------
Here's the thing...I only look in my rearview mirror to observe the center window operation, so right and left traverse just ain't a thing for me. I finally realized how to train myself--its the curve of the switch that matches your side windows. Push down, open. Pull up on the under curve of the switch, and just like a side window, the center window closes--^^just like Jason said above. :superhack:

Quint

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Big Horn 1500
Engine
5.7L v8 eTorque
Different strokes for different folks. I found myself pushing the rear window button in the wrong direction probably half of the time. Since reversing the switch, it seems natural and I haven't pushed it the wrong way even once.

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I did this a few weeks ater purchase. from the diagram on the switch it looked like it was installed upside down. annoyed the **** out of me. on my 2009 it is a rocker switch that is diferent from the windows.

Tazs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did it today, literally took me less than 2 minutes. Thanks Joseph, nice find.

I had to have my switch, by the dealership, it was installed upside down/ backwards .... I told them there is an outline of the window on the switch and that it was installed incorrectly.... they told me it could not be installed another way... I took it down right in front of him flipped it around put everything back together tested it and called him a "moron" ... maybe it was a little over the top, but oh well

KahneFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd like to know if the automatic door window switches will work in the overhead console for the rear window. click to open, click to close. Yeah, I'm lazy and it's a slight bother to hold my arm up they're while opening/closing the window

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd like to know if the automatic door window switches will work in the overhead console for the rear window. click to open, click to close. Yeah, I'm lazy and it's a slight bother to hold my arm up they're while opening/closing the window

AFAIK its not just the switch that gives us the automatic up/down. There are sensors involved (i.e. if someone has their fingers/hand/arm/neck) that will stop and retract the window if it senses an obstruction.