Slight grinding feel in steering wheel while turning...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrisGUGA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anyone else experienced this?

I get a slight grinding/vibration through the steering wheel when turning right or left, similar to the very slight vibration you feel through the steering wheel from the engine while accelerating.

I have Bilsteins now set at 2.1, rear 1.5" coil spacers, and a 1.5" zone body lift. 35x12.50r20 Toyo ATII extremes on stock wheels with 10mm hub and wheel centric motorsports tech wheel spacers.

I didn't put the rotor "locks" or "holds" or whatever back on the lugs when I reinstalled the brake rotors. Could this cause the brakes to rub slightly in turns?

I've retorqued everything and everything was to spec except the sway bar end links. I had to retighten them, but that didn't solve the problem.

PS: Anyone know if the Movotech UCAs come greased? I see the grease zerks, but never added any grease.

Thanks!

mjd91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I get the same feeling in the steering wheel but have no idea what causes it.

I filled up my mevotechs.

Broke pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Could be a wheel bearing going bad... Those spacers are killers on them. When they start to eat themselves you get that grinding feeling through the wheel. I just did the fronts on my buddies '12 1500. Not a fun job.

Dema

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Could it possibly be the tire rubbing?

mjd91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not bearings and not tire rub.
It's just a very slight feel in the steering system.

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
you might want to grease those mevotechs

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Mega Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7L
check the back side of both of your lower control arms and see if there is any shiny spots. My steering knuckles hit the LCA when I was at full lock and made a god awefull noise when I would hit a bump at lock. 30 seconds of filing with a file and all is good.

Ramunit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wheel bearing hub assemblys going kput

OP
OP
C

ChrisGUGA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the tips guys.

Could the wheel bearings go bad after only 1500 miles? Also, I thought the wheel and hub centric spacers weren't as hard on them?

Yes, I'll definitely grease the movotechs.

OP
OP
C

ChrisGUGA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update...

This is crazy and seems stupid, but I figured out my problems. Here's a list in order of importance.

1) I thought I removed the lower radiator fan shroud, but I didn't. The fan was hitting the shroud and was worse in turns because of the body leaning. This is due to the 1.5 inch Zone body lift. I removed that shroud and it's basically fixed.

2) I got my brakes turned which eliminated some of the rough feeling while braking. The truck has less than 8k miles on it, but I towed a 9000 pound load home with zero trailer brakes and that did a number on my front rotors. I now have dual axle disc brakes with an electric over hydraulic actuator.

3) I lubed the Movotech upper control arms. This seemed to smooth things out a bit.

Thanks again for all of your suggestions.