Smoked Plastdip on tail lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Recontango

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Was bored on Sunday and had a can of Smoked Plastidip so I figured I would see how it looks on the tails. I know in other threads folks have said it doesn't work well, hard to get even coverage, etc. Well, I wanted to see for myself. So after a six pack, two cigars, and about 10 coats per light later, this is how they turned out. Not my favorite look, but I think I like it better than the glaring red tail, especially on a dark colored truck. I will probably leave it on for awhile and see if I like it, if not, easy to peel off. Thought I would share in case anyone else was considering this.

Before
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361852437.014384.jpg

After
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361852452.859971.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361852470.068972.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361852485.283124.jpg

Also thought I would see how it looks over the chrome badge. Not the look I was going for, but does make a nice sort of gunmetal, almost hammered grey color. Might look really good on grey or silver trucks.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361852561.586035.jpg

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I like how the badge turned out,I might have to try it

Have you pulled the taillight out to see if theres anything you can do about the chrome edge?
I doubt its similar but my brothers F150 taillight had a white edge on it the he painted black from the back side that made it look alot better

OP
OP
Recontango

Recontango

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I like how the badge turned out,I might have to try it

Have you pulled the taillight out to see if theres anything you can do about the chrome edge?
I doubt its similar but my brothers F150 taillight had a white edge on it the he painted black from the back side that made it look alot better

Haven't tried taking the lights out yet. This was just an experiment to see if it would be something I even liked. I am up for ideas like this though!

rileybrennan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I just used VHT Niteshades on the tail lights. I know a lot of guys don't like VHT but I do, and it looks alright. But if you go too dark you'll get pulled over in my town.. Damn 5-0. Never heard of smoked plasti dip, cool idea but I don't know about for the tail lights

Bad Habit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Modded 4.7l
Id buy some smoked vinyl off ebay and use it, i think it looks better than vht or the latter. and its just as temporary, as if you dont like it later peel it off...

OP
OP
Recontango

Recontango

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Id buy some smoked vinyl off ebay and use it, i think it looks better than vht or the latter. and its just as temporary, as if you dont like it later peel it off...

I have some and I tried putting it on. I am not very good with vinyl and was having a hard time getting to lay down over the curves of the tail light. I even tried with a heat gun...

cbo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you dont like the flat look of the plastidip on your lights, try shooting some if their glossifier over top of what touvr got laid down alteady, itll prob be more along the lines of what youre goin for. I do like the look over top of the ram tho! How many coats did you use on that?

OP
OP
Recontango

Recontango

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
If you dont like the flat look of the plastidip on your lights, try shooting some if their glossifier over top of what touvr got laid down alteady, itll prob be more along the lines of what youre goin for. I do like the look over top of the ram tho! How many coats did you use on that?

About 10 or so. The smoked stuff has very little tint to it, takes many coats to get anything dark, but allows you to get it however dark you like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
monsonrepair