Smoother ride suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jh613

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2018 ram 1500 express that I put a leveling kit on and nitto terra grapplers on that work out to about 34.6” I think. The front was 3” and rear was 1” which I was told would not effect ride quality. Compared to my friends truck the ride quality wasn’t very smooth prior but it was made worse after these additions. I think I messed with the geometry too much by adding that height and after researching it looks like best fix to improve ride quality would be new shocks and control arms. Any suggestions on products would be appreciated thanks.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What leveling kit? If it’s spacers it’ll ride a bit tougher because it maxes out the stock suspension geometry. Any leveling struts will help. Eibach is a great riding leveling strut and softer than bilstein. If you order eibach I would order their lift springs as well. Do the full on eibach lift kit as it will ride really nicely. A true 4” lift would allow you to keep the nearest to stock ride as it reuses the front struts and springs. The zone 4” kit lifts the rear 2” using rear spacers as well to reuse stock rear springs which helps maintain stock ride as close as possible. @Nick@GotExhaust is a forum vendor that sells zone lifts as well as other leveling struts including eibach or fox 2.0

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What level kit? Did you install angle correcting UCA's? 3" with just a basic level kit is going to ride stiff. I would avoid a shop that would send you out the door with those mods and say its going to ride like stock. Especially if they sent you out without doing UCA's as your angles are going to be pretty bad. Your ball joints and CV's are going to wear out prematurely in this case. They probably gave you spacers for the front? If so those need to go, they have been proven on here many times to do damage to these trucks over time.

We can provide some options that will ride much better. As mentioned above, the Eibach Pro kit is an awesome option that rides better than stock or go with an actual lift kit like the Zone 4" kit that will ride just like stock. No matter what option you go with that we offer you can be assured we will set you up with a reliable long lasting setup.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What size are the tires, what load rating, and what PSI are running them at? The suspension can definitely be the main contributor, but tires also. I've seen people go from a factory C rated tire at 40-50 psi to a big heavy E rated tire and run 80 psi in them and then complain about the ride.

OP
OP
J

Jh613

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I want to say they were 285/65 R20 as they are just under 35" diameter, Nitto Terra Grappler G2. I keep the PSI around 40-42. For the level I just got spacers, I just put them in myself as they were easy to install the shop I called just told me that was the max I could do without messing with geometry. Guess I should have called a different shop but oh well, I just want to add additional parts to improve the ride.

OP
OP
J

Jh613

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also, my ball joints definitely wore out prematurely.... I hit a huge pothole and they busted right through. Now I have aftermarket upper control arms that are more heavy duty (not sure the brand) but I think they are the same size as stock so I'm not sure if they need an upgrade.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
need to know which UCA's? you will want ones that are angle correcting. If they are not angle correcting, they are also hurting your ride. I would remove those spacers and install adjustable struts. 3":is the absolute max so no matter what you do your ride will be stiffer but 3" spacers and stock geometry control arms are going to ride very stiff.

RJL1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Probably not what you're looking for but check out my lift and UCA's in my signature. My truck rides better than most cars.

Bought everything from @Nick@GotExhaust and had @Quick_Shifter install it all.

A bit pricey, but very much worth it. This is by far the best riding rig I've ever owned or driven in. And I've had a ton of trucks over the years.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
I have a 2018 ram 1500 express that I put a leveling kit on and nitto terra grapplers on that work out to about 34.6” I think. The front was 3” and rear was 1” which I was told would not effect ride quality. Compared to my friends truck the ride quality wasn’t very smooth prior but it was made worse after these additions. I think I messed with the geometry too much by adding that height and after researching it looks like best fix to improve ride quality would be new shocks and control arms. Any suggestions on products would be appreciated thanks.
Since you have a 4th Gen a 3” kit far exceeds the good riding category. Anything below 2.5” is the safe zone. Your best bet is to do a bracket lift to align all your angles again. @Nick@GotExhaust can lay out a great package for you to iron out the issues you’re having. Replacing parts is not going to change anything in your situation

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I want to say they were 285/65 R20 as they are just under 35" diameter, Nitto Terra Grappler G2. I keep the PSI around 40-42. For the level I just got spacers, I just put them in myself as they were easy to install the shop I called just told me that was the max I could do without messing with geometry. Guess I should have called a different shop but oh well, I just want to add additional parts to improve the ride.
that doesnt address load rating, are the rated e tires? if so that would be the issue.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat