Snow Plow Mounting (Meyer)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I stopped in at a Meyer snow plow distributor today. I was surprised to hear them say, they wouldn't sell even a light-duty plow to a Ram 1500 truck owner which had EPS steering between certain years (I believe it was 2013 - 18??). And there are a number of years of certain F150 configurations which they wouldn't sell plows to. That was Meyer's policy. It had to do with problems with the EPS steering for a certain # of yrs. I understand the 1500's are lighter duty, but they're not THAT light duty for a lightweight snow plow. In many ways Ram 1500's (frames at least) are built stronger than trucks in the 80's we used to plow snow with all day long.

I'm not looking to put a plow on my Ram 1500 ....it just happened to come up in conversation and pretty soon there were 3 of their guys and myself chatting about some of the latest snow plow things that have changed in recent yrs.

Has anyone else heard this? (Sorry if it's been discussed before and I missed it).

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
My 2014 owners manual "says do not use this model vehicle (1500) for snow plow applications". Then it goes on to to say "using this vehicle for snowplow applications can cause damage to the vehicle". It also mentions "snowplows and other aftermarket equipment should not be added to the front end of your vehicle",but they also follow that one with a note about the front airbag crash sensors may be affected by the change in the front end structure.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2014 owners manual "says do not use this model vehicle (1500) for snow plow applications". Then it goes on to to say "using this vehicle for snowplow applications can cause damage to the vehicle". It also mentions "snowplows and other aftermarket equipment should not be added to the front end of your vehicle",but they also follow that one with a note about the front airbag crash sensors may be affected by the change in the front end structure.

That's all true. And certainly they're not the right application for HD commercial plow operators. But all the major snow plow mfgrs produce light duty half-ton rated pickup truck plows (and even lighter plows for Jeeps/SUV's). Owners have have put snow plows on 1/2 ton trucks for years which also had airbag sensors, which the owners manuals stated the same (don't install) message. Kind of like big tires, winch, off-road bumpers, Grille guards, etc all add something 'Extra' to the front end. I know (a few commercial operators which have used half ton trucks forever. A lot of them do. Once yer done plowing and remove the plow, there isn't as much weight on the truck (or airbag sensor interference).

It was the EPS that I was wondering about. What specific issues people might have heard about that would be affected by a snow plow. And if that's the case, what would off-roading ...or even installing larger tires do to the EPS systems?? Or is it just being over-cautious by Ram and others?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
That's all true. And certainly they're not the right application for HD commercial plow operators. But all the major snow plow mfgrs produce light duty half-ton rated pickup truck plows (and even lighter plows for Jeeps/SUV's). Owners have have put snow plows on 1/2 ton trucks for years which also had airbag sensors, which the owners manuals stated the same (don't install) message. Kind of like big tires, winch, off-road bumpers, Grille guards, etc all add something 'Extra' to the front end. I know (a few commercial operators which have used half ton trucks forever. A lot of them do. Once yer done plowing and remove the plow, there isn't as much weight on the truck (or airbag sensor interference).

It was the EPS that I was wondering about. What specific issues people might have heard about that would be affected by a snow plow. And if that's the case, what would off-roading ...or even installing larger tires do to the EPS systems?? Or is it just being over-cautious by Ram and others?
Couldn't tell you.Just going by posts on here, the EPS system on the 1500's doesn't seem to be the most reliable steering rack out there. Nobody ever worried to much about putting a plow on an older solid axle 1/2 ton,but i know alot of shops won't touch putting a plow on a newer IFS 4X4 1/2 ton these days.Why i don't know,as i've never had occasion to put one on my 1500,so i've never dug into the "why"

OP
OP
J

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There have been scores of IFS 1/2T Chevy's, Fords (incl TTB) & Dodges running around with plows on them since the 80's. Too many to count. I'm sure it's not ideal (neither is hanging a hd off-road bumper & winch/lights on a 'raised' ifs Ram) ..but after the tks get to be a certain age, guys do what they do. There are ways to reduce suspension stress like a little help from air shocks or air bags ..stronger springs etc. The Meyers dealers have a software program they enter the truck's specs into to see if it's plow-eligible. Meyer's "rules" didn't have a problem with later 4th gen or 5th gen 1/2 tons. And I think I read on another forum or the 5th gen forum a guy ordered a plow pkg kit (less plow) on a new 5th gen. That's what seems weird.

Last edited:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I stopped in at a Meyer snow plow distributor today. I was surprised to hear them say, they wouldn't sell even a light-duty plow to a Ram 1500 truck owner which had EPS steering between certain years (I believe it was 2013 - 18??). And there are a number of years of certain F150 configurations which they wouldn't sell plows to. That was Meyer's policy. It had to do with problems with the EPS steering for a certain # of yrs. I understand the 1500's are lighter duty, but they're not THAT light duty for a lightweight snow plow. In many ways Ram 1500's (frames at least) are built stronger than trucks in the 80's we used to plow snow with all day long.

I'm not looking to put a plow on my Ram 1500 ....it just happened to come up in conversation and pretty soon there were 3 of their guys and myself chatting about some of the latest snow plow things that have changed in recent yrs.

Has anyone else heard this? (Sorry if it's been discussed before and I missed it).
I doubt the frames are stronger than the trucks of the 60s, 70s and early 80s. Frames are now hydryoformed for weight savings( for mpg) and crush points. Our trucks back then were tanks.