Snowplow Prep Package 2021

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ronnie Stepka

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey everybody... Just ordered up a new Ram 1500 Crew Cab with the Big Horn package and the 5.7 Hemi....
The reason I just gave the resume of the truck is because they won’t let me add on the Snowplow Prep Package for the reason that it’s the crew can. I can get it if it is ordered up on a quad cab only. I’m scratching my head as to why it’s available on one but not the other. Any ideas as to why?

Thanks brothers.... Stay safe!

SniperDroid

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Don't know why, but it doesn't show up on the online build a truck site for the Crew Cab, only on the Quad Cab... another FCA Blunder?

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Because the quad cab has more available payload.

Sometimes...as much as we want. There is a limit the factory has to operate in

OP
OP
R

Ronnie Stepka

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If would be nice to know with some empirical evidence as to the reason why. My dealer won’t do any digging for me at all, I had to make the phone calls to a Ramtruck.com site that couldn’t answer the question as well. If anyone has access to a number that I could question this further I’d appreciate the contact,

Ronnie

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
The average fixed blade snow plow weighs 6-700# or more depending on the hydraulics, reservoirs, controls, mounts and other components. Strapping it to the front of a truck with 1400# payload is just asking for issues.

SniperDroid

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Just because you can't get the FACTORY prep package, doesn't mean you cant hang a plow on the front of the truck. The Factory just wont be a party to the problems you may incur later. My neighbor bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee some years back. Put a Plow on it just to do his 300 foot driveway. Blew the tranny before the first winter was over.... Not Warranted unless he removed the plow and didn't put it back on..... Jeeps can't plow well.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If your plowing commercially, don't bother with a 1500 and jump right into 2500. The front end components and having a solid front axle will put up with a lot more plowing than what's in the front of a 1500.

OP
OP
R

Ronnie Stepka

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No commercial plowing for me! I own a few rental properties and those I would like to handle myself... I had an old Jeep with a plow on it that I pushed a lot of snow back in the day... Any one use one of those lightweight plexiglass plows? I’m guessing they would weigh a lot less.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
No commercial plowing for me! I own a few rental properties and those I would like to handle myself... I had an old Jeep with a plow on it that I pushed a lot of snow back in the day... Any one use one of those lightweight plexiglass plows? I’m guessing they would weigh a lot less.
That would be commercial plowing. Even though you own the property you still are doing it as a business. You should seriously look at the 2509 and use it as a business expense. You could look at tax implications of leasing as well. Since you are running a business you might be better off not only financial now, but down the road you are getting the right tools for the job. Going lighter duty is just asking for trouble. My friend has properties as well and he also has the plowing contract for a third party who also has some rental properties but didn't want to do work. Good luck.

DIRTRIDER

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 REBEL
Engine
HEMI 5.7
They make 1500 specific plows that weigh in the 400-500 lb range. My SNOWAY weighs 450 lb. I did a 2” level and installed a Timbren kit to help protect the suspension . I only do my driveway and take the plow off the truck when done.

C615D8FF-9C1F-43F1-B364-D66F9FD13674.jpeg