New to Ram Two Months In

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nickv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Etorque
Purchased 2023 Big Horn w/ B package Crew Cab off lot on Halloween (I'm not superstitious). Pros: Love the interior and the ride. Comfortable front seat! 12" UConnect touchscreen is awesome. Heated steering wheel. Front/rear back up sensors. Sound system. Roomy rear. Power rear window. So much more.

Cons: I was willing to sacrifice MPG to have the 5.7. Do love the power! Got to say though, almost impossible to get more than 19mpg HWY and 17 City though advertised 17-22. Just funny how they come to advertise MPG that is virtually impossible to achieve. Other than that....not a con really but went for the 6'4" bed and I did give up some turning radius and parking is a little more challenging. Though I did fit a golf cart in the back to travel 450 miles and it fit perfect as do my dirt bikes. Thought it had "passive entry"...dang...mistook "remote" entry for "Passive." No biggie. Would have liked blind spot warning.

No regrets! Gave up my Ford 1999 F250 Super Duty 7.3 as a second vehicle and my around town sedan for the Big Horn. Loved that 7.3 truck but it beat the hell out of me on long hauls. It was a long bed and I think I parked that truck better than the Big Horn. Ha Ha? Just got good at it after 18 years!

platoon2063

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6 eTorque
Cons: I was willing to sacrifice MPG to have the 5.7. Do love the power! Got to say though, almost impossible to get more than 19mpg HWY and 17 City though advertised 17-22. Just funny how they come to advertise MPG that is virtually impossible to achieve. Other than that....not a con really but went for the 6'4" bed and I did give up some turning radius and parking is a little more challenging. Though I did fit a golf cart in the back to travel 450 miles and it fit perfect as do my dirt bikes. Thought it had "passive entry"...dang...mistook "remote" entry for "Passive." No biggie. Would have liked blind spot warning.
A trucks shape and form factor alone makes it extremely difficult to achieve great fuel efficiency.
Manufacturers have a set of protocols and procedures in place to measure fuel efficiency. Seriously doubt any truck owner constantly drives on a flat road, with no wind, average perfect temperatures, at an average speed, let's say 60 mph, doesn't use anything that drains power such as lights, radio, ac/heating, etc .
If we did all of that then perhaps we could achieve the perfect advertised mpg rating set by manufacturers.

Last edited:

twistedmindz84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Bighorn 4x4, 3.92 gears, 6.4' bed
Engine
Hemi 5.7 w/ eTorque
Not sure how your driving is, but with the 3.92 gears on my 23 Bighorn, I can get about 17.5-18 combined driving through the hills around San Diego, and around 20mpg on the highway from Bakersfield, CA heading north to the SF Bay area when I visit family. I usually keep it around 70 and just use cruise control though. I'm sure if you keep the RPMs low and hover around 65, 22-23mpg is definitely doable if you have the 3.21 gears.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Purchased 2023 Big Horn w/ B package Crew Cab off lot on Halloween (I'm not superstitious). Pros: Love the interior and the ride. Comfortable front seat! 12" UConnect touchscreen is awesome. Heated steering wheel. Front/rear back up sensors. Sound system. Roomy rear. Power rear window. So much more.

No regrets! Gave up my Ford 1999 F250 Super Duty 7.3 as a second vehicle and my around town sedan for the Big Horn. Loved that 7.3 truck but it beat the hell out of me on long hauls. It was a long bed and I think I parked that truck better than the Big Horn. Ha Ha? Just got good at it after 18 years!
Once it breaks in say 5,000 on odometer does get a lil better. I do not have e stuff, but get 13-18 city, and 15-20 ish on hwy. That is on level road, with cruise on set at 70 ish. Now if running IH road, and moving at 80-85, not wanna get run over. My hwy drops to 17-18 ish. The printed crapola on the Moroney sticker is just ideal truck in ideal conditions, just not gonna happen too often. U really are getting close to average on mileage. Also, road conditions, extra weight hauled, fuel used, tires if not the stock SRA junk, etc all makes changes in drivability and stats, all IMHO...

Drive it, maintain it with good oil, filters, etc and enjoy having the Hemi, since they R allegedly going away real soon.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Rams have always had the turn radius of a freight train. Every other truck I've owned was better in that category.

As for the gas mileage with a Hemi:

View attachment 536707
Your being generous, I was thinking more of a House Mover as far as turning, lol,.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
If you know how to drive for milege you can easily get their advertised milege.Hell i can easily pull down over 30 mpg out of my wifes 6.4 Challenger. One thing my Dad taught me as a kid was how to drive for milege way back in the 70's. He'd stand a quart can of oil up in the box of a 1/2 ton,and i had to drive to town /around town and back home with-out tipping the can over or sliding it around the box,a couple times of doing that,and i learned throttle control and how to brake with-out tipping the can over.

Attachments

• IMG_2267.JPG
    IMG_2267.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2268.JPG
    IMG_2268.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 11

Pudge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Depending on the truck wheelbase configuration, there is not a lot of difference in turning radius. But I thing the Chevs win the category. If you go look at the HD trucks, Ram takes the win For the most part.

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I used to own a Bronco (I know, not a truck)
But that thing would turn on a dime

MUCH shorter wheel base. My 93 sierra also turns way tighter, but being almost 2' shorter helps.

skates15

Reaction score
My wife can get 22mpg in our 2023 1500 5.7 and that is combined city and highway. She has some way of driving that I cannot achieve and I drive slower but get 20mpg. I won't pretend to understand it.

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My wife can get 22mpg in our 2023 1500 5.7 and that is combined city and highway. She has some way of driving that I cannot achieve and I drive slower but get 20mpg. I won't pretend to understand it.
i had the same issue with a VW passat we used to own
it had the 1.8 turbo in it, with a reprogrammed ECU

flog her, and she would spike at 18 PSI and hold at 17 all day long (instead of the factory 7PSI)
i would drive it and get around 25 MPG, the wife would get in and be south of 35

i wonder why