So glad I own Ram/FCA product

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I mainly did all this as preventive maintenance. Didn't want my mom to be out and about and the belt break. Plus she wasn't sure when or if any maintenance was done since my dad passed. And the rear pads were shot like 3mm or less left. I replaced same items on my wife's old 200 3.6 and it was a breeze. Even though you have to remove intake.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
You make your wife drive a car made in the year 200? How could you...:D

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
So I worked on my Mom's 12 GMC Acadia what a pita. Replaced serpentine belt, idler pulley and tensioner and plugs oh and rear brake pads. I know why gm designs there vehicles a certain way to make more money from people. Their engineer team really sucks. The idler pulley was a pain cause you have to remove/move alternator out of the way to remove the bolt wtf no need for that botl to be that long anyways another reason I'll never own other brands. Only part that was easy was the rear brakes.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

You might try working on a modern Toyota. Even worse. As my dad put it "built to sell, not to own."

P.S. never had issues like that with GM trucks though, plenty easy to work on.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
You might try working on a modern Toyota. Even worse. As my dad put it "built to sell, not to own."

P.S. never had issues like that with GM trucks though, plenty easy to work on.

GM truck products are designed to be repaired in the field. By “in the field” I mean the side of the road.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You might try working on a modern Toyota.

I'll try it one day!

Last edited:

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You might try working on a modern Toyota.

Which ones did you have in mind? I work on plenty of modern Toyotas in my shop.... not a problem. The galactically stupid designs in the past decade or so seem to belong to GM.
We just bought a new Rav 4 for my wife. I read in forums that if the electric rack & pinion fails you have to drop the engine & trans to get it out so that sounds like a bad design.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We just bought a new Rav 4 for my wife. I read in forums that if the electric rack & pinion fails you have to drop the engine & trans to get it out so that sounds like a bad design.
Cool

Last edited:

Octane

Reaction score
Whew... I'm so glad you're here, keeping the auto parts people in $$$. Really, the maintenance you're doing is great for safety. I do not fault you for taking care of your family.

I even think changing spark plugs sooner than 100k is good; maybe 50k. Though, annual brake pads, way too often. Waste of money and time... No wonder why you don't like cars. Yes, you did good changing the pulleys... Though unless making noise, replacement might not have been needed.

You selling auto parts, makes you a experienced mechanic? That's like being an pharmacist or maybe an EMT making them doctor.

You are right, engineers have a great job. How the are sitting at home with their $$, laughing at us slobs. My kids would complain about their school teachers...'they hate me dad.' Yup, they became teachers just because they don't like kids. I'm not defending engineers and I have too cursed their profession. Though I again, challenge to design something better.

Just maybe, changing serviceable parts is partial the problem.

It doesn't matter to me what you do. My initial point was to help in not wasting time and money replacing serviceable parts. Really, it's your money and time. As well as, you are keeping the road safe.

Though, my truck is due for a wash and wax.. maybe I need to swap the engine. Ya, know it's over 100k in miles.
Best to pull engine annually to do a thorough cleaning.A clean mechanic is a happy mechanic...right?

KeepRight

ExFalconFxr
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Best to pull engine annually to do a thorough cleaning.A clean mechanic is a happy mechanic...right?
Well I think I'll swap the engine for the next oil change. I'll get my truck repainted for the next wash and wax.

gofish101

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Outdoorsman CC
Engine
5.7 hemi
If I lived my life in that kind of fear, I'd be stuck in the 1940's.

Actually just pointing out a " galactically stupid design " by Toyota for the Toyota fanboys.

Octane

Reaction score
All manufacturers have "stupid" design flaws. One would make choices on a purchase typically for features on a car, not how difficult it is to repair. As a note: My service info instructs removal of the entire subframe/driveline on a newer Sienna Van (Toyota) in order to replace the water pump.... and I know from experience that the water pump can be replaced in chassis.
The 22re toyo 4 cylinder manual I've been told by mechanics that to replace timing chains require head removal but I've never saw them remove the head to do it but I have saw that labor charge for that removal regardless.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 22re toyo 4 cylinder manual I've been told by mechanics that to replace timing chains require head removal but I've never saw them remove the head to do it but I have saw that labor charge for that removal regardless.

The ******* thing about the 22RE was that they decided to drop the double row timing chain for the single row, after they upped the displacement and fuel injected from the 20R and call it the 22R. Add the cheapo plastic chain guides which broke with regularity and you eventually had the chain eat through the timing cover into the water jacket and the coolant would contaminate the engine oil.

We can argue this endlessly, so I'll stipulate that they all make boneheaded flaws in design.

Octane

Reaction score
The ******* thing about the 22RE was that they decided to drop the double row timing chain for the single row, after they upped the displacement and fuel injected from the 20R and call it the 22R. Add the cheapo plastic chain guides which broke with regularity and you eventually had the chain eat through the timing cover into the water jacket and the coolant would contaminate the engine oil.

We can argue this endlessly, so I'll stipulate that they all make boneheaded flaws in design.
Yes! My bro has a 94 toyo 4wd with the 22re.He rebuilt it in 2005.The thing is a very quiet for a 22re and doesnt leak.Amazing.He told me once about those timing parts.I think they offered a better guide but I'm not sure.If it could be improved I'm sure his ocd would have required it. Lol

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes! My bro has a 94 toyo 4wd with the 22re.He rebuilt it in 2005.The thing is a very quiet for a 22re and doesnt leak.Amazing.He told me once about those timing parts.I think they offered a better guide but I'm not sure.If it could be improved I'm sure his ocd would have required it. Lol

IIRC, the aftermarket made a metal guide with a bonded black phenolic coating that, with oil, made for a good chain guide.