So what did I manage to screw up (Bilstein 5100 w/ Mevotech UCA's)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigDogg795

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So last night my brother, his friend and I installed the 5100's into my truck. Everything went fairly straight forward except for two issues. First is I had to cut the shocks out with a sawzall :superhack: because we couldn't get the top nuts loosened to get the shock cap off. When I reinstalled it; everything went back in and I reused the applicable hardware and reused the (partially cut) rubber boot that fits over the top (between the cap and the coil, the part contained within the red square in the attached pic). Now whenever I hit certain bumps it sounds like a clunk as though something is loose. I brought the truck to a mechanic to have them do the alignment and asked them to take a look at everything to make sure it looked good and they advised it was...so now I'm wondering if the partially cut boots are whats causing the noise. When I compared the assembly to the the Rancho Quick Lift replacements they don't have anything in there as far as I can see; do I even need them or can I cut them out?

Attached are obligatory photos lol

Attachments

• removing-front-strut-assemblies.jpg
    removing-front-strut-assemblies.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 283

SOKY_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Where did u put the washer when installing 5100?

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
BigDogg795

BigDogg795

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Where did u put the washer when installing 5100?

Forgive my ignorance but as my brother and his friend did most of the labor I wasn't paying as much attention as I should have. Which washer are you referring to so I can ask him in the morning...?

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The shocks come with a washer. Common sense tells you to put it under the nut, which is wrong. It goes on the rod under the upper seat. The rod is a smaller diameter than the hole in the spring seat so the washer keeps it from going through

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jknappen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The shocks come with a washer. Common sense tells you to put it under the nut, which is wrong. It goes on the rod under the upper seat. The rod is a smaller diameter than the hole in the spring seat so the washer keeps it from going through

Uhhh no. The washer goes under the nut it will be the second to last part that you put on before you secure the nut. Refer to the bilstein instructions as well as your old strut. Make sure your mevotecs are on the correct side as they are side specific

Last edited:

sriley531

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Uhhh no. The washer goes under the nut it will be the second to last part that you put on before you secure the nut. Refer to the bilstein instructions as well as your old strut. Make sure your mevotecs are on the correct side as they are side specific
Sorry, but "uhhh no". The washer goes under the spring hat. I thought it went under the nut too (as is conventional wisdom) and now I'll be pulling my bils out and apart just to move a damn washer. This can cause the strut rod to pop up through the hat, causing a clunk on bumps. Here is a pic of the instructions. Although I feel they should've stressed this washer location more, if you read how they were written, its apparent it goes under the top spring plate, not above it under the lock nut.

9b16c0dbda84c7a718a82573acb3cd3e.jpg

jknappen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine is directly under the nut and everything is fine

SOKY_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just fixed mine today. Washer definitely needs to be under plate. You could tell where the rod was already beginning to wear on the plate. I also added mevotech's since I didn't feel like tearing all that apart for just a washer.

jknappen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just fixed mine today. Washer definitely needs to be under plate. You could tell where the rod was already beginning to wear on the plate. I also added mevotech's since I didn't feel like tearing all that apart for just a washer.

Is this just something new or is this on all of the fourth Gens?

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
I had the same issue with my Rancho installation. I had to redo both struts to get the washer under the spring cup.

SOKY_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is this just something new or is this on all of the fourth Gens?
I would think it's on all but can't say for sure. I would look at the bilstein instructions for your year. Can't really see that they would be any different. The instructions really did a poor job of calling this out in my opinion.

fordtech90

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like you either have the washer in the wrong spot or didn't tighten the upper strut nut tight enough. That will cause a clunk. It will look fine while its in you hand but as you install it and let the trucks weight on top of it the strut will compress some.

jknappen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine is not clunking altho i do not want any issues down the road

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I didn't have any clunking issues either, until the strut mount hole eventually bored out, blowing out a strut in the process.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi

jknappen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well went ahead and changed the location of the washer. Wonder y bilstein made the shaft smaller in diameter from stock. Oh well problem solved also installed my 3/4 inch rear spacers. Now its level

OP
OP
BigDogg795

BigDogg795

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So an update...In the school of thought to try simple things first, I decided to make sure everything was in fact tight. Given that we were rushing towards the end as it was cold and wet with several thousand dollars getting soaked I thought maybe we didn't button everything up the way it should have. So I went and used SOKY's recommendation on the craftsman ratchet set and went to town. Everything was nice and tight except for...wait for it...the nut on top of upper assembly. That had quite a lot of turns to go before it even began to get tight. Used an Allen key to hold it in place and snugged it up nicely. Then I took a look at the zerk fittings on the new UCA's and realized the shop never actually greased them for me when I asked. So $20 for a grease gun and some grease and did it myself. Took it for a test drive and the clunk is gone! I asked my brother about the washer and he told me he assembled it in the correct order too so I think I'm good!!!