Soft covers - theft a problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

raycatch9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6cyl
Looking at the different cover options and am wondering about hard vs soft and theft occurrence. I am leaning toward soft (tri-fold) for cost - but am worried about the ease of boneheads cutting the vinyl open and stealing. Or even just the ___hole factor of vandals. For those that went with the soft bed covers, how many have had or heard about theft/vandalism? My budget is tight now. Am I worrying about theft for nothing if it rarely happens? I am not in a high crime area - but - I do travel and would worry about being parked at night.

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
It really depends on the value of what you put back there. For me, it's empty most of the time. If you are storing tools, or things like golf clubs you may want to consider somethin more secure.

But - at least it is out-of-sight-out-of-mind.

I have had a soft cover on my truck for 5 years now. Left it all sorts of places, no one has ever bothered it. Hopefully I'm not jinxing myself...

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I just had a RetraxPro XR installed on mine last month. Expensive, but I have tools, and sometimes a generator back there and I don't want them wandering off to Bubba's garage when I turn my back.

Last edited:

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
My rig came with the factory tri-fold soft cover from the dealership.
I seldom carry anything of importance and/or value in there, and to date (I hope I don't FN jinx myself here...) I've had zero issues.
If my bed is loaded up, then it's in and out, period! I don't risk anything as a soft cover is just that, soft!
That said, were I to have anything of value in the bed, you can be assured that it would be a solid tri-fold cover on my truck!!
Choose based on what you do with your truck!

Stavinksi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i leave nothing of value. Would you rather vandals slash your soft top or your tires? They can damage anything any time. I just try not to be that a hole neighbor asking for a drunken tire slashing at 2 AM. Get the top you want and enjoy it. That’s why they make so many different types.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yeah, depends on what you're putting in and where you'll be parking. The whole, "out of sight" thing is definitely better than valuable things just sitting in the bed but it's still somewhat risky. That being said, I've run with soft covers on my last three trucks spanning 20+ years and have never had an issue. For one, my basic work tools are worth $500 max and I really like the ease of the soft cover. Rolling it up literally takes less than 15 seconds and that's pretty nice.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Some of the cross country motels that i'm forced to stay in.
I back the tailgate as close to the motel room door as i can.
Otherwise i park as close to the bright light of the Managers apartment, as i can, if there is a camera on the property, it will be there.

If they bust into my hard cover, they still have to cut the lock on the toolbox under it, which means they will likely have to break the tailgate lock, it will be noisy.

1695082119825.png
It is not perfect, but it has worked so far

Last edited:

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I also keep a hard cover trifold on. I had a Pace Edwards roll back that worked great for about 13 years till it stopped working so well. I bought a $400 (now around $6-700) hard top trifold at Walmart. Figured it would do until I bought a more expensive permanent one. That was about 6 years and 2 trucks since. It works great, latches to existing bed rail lip, and is pretty solid. If you can swing that amount, I highly recommend the Walmart route. Good luck.

Bigdaddyii

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I run a soft Xcover and had a soft cover on my previous truck for a couple years. I haven’t had an issue.

When I installed the soft cover on the Tundra my wife voiced concern about the vinyl. My response was the “out of sight, out of mind” line and I mentioned that if you kept valuables inside the truck and they wanted it they could just break the window. I agree with an earlier post that if they want it they will find a way to get it. Soft covers can be cut, roll tops can be forced open with a crow bar, same with tri folds and the paw paw lift tops.

BlueHemi1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a soft trifold bed cover on my previous truck for about 12 or so years. I too subscribe to the out-of-sight out-of-mind idea. My previous truck had a locking tailgate, and my soft trifold would not open unless you opened the tailgate. I will buy a trifold soft top for my current truck when money is not an issue. I tried to minimize the time objects were left in the bed when possible. But there were times when things remained in the bed longer than I hoped. I worked in a large metro area with a fair amount of crime, and things of high value were locked in my cab under clothes when possible.
My advice get a soft top of your choice that seals well to the perimeter of the bed (reduce moisture incursion), and make sure your top will interlock with a locking tailgate. And be selective on parking choices that were previously noted in a previous post.
I also subscribe that if people want in they will get in as they do not care what they break/destroy to achieve their goal of obtaining your stuff for free, including your truck.
Good luck with your purchase decision.

BlueHemi1500

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't see any point in the soft covers. I went with the Bak Revolver x4s and don't regret it one bit. My bed usually has work items in it, though I'm just a painter, so cheaper tools than a lot of trades.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As previously mentioned, it all comes down to the value of it the items you plan to store back there and if you are willing to donate those items. :cool:

I've had soft covers many years ago and was never comfortable leaving anything of value, what is your comfort level with a gamble?

I do recall, anxiously checking my truck regularly because I had inexpensive items I didn't want to donate, that was no fun.

I've seen soft covers that were cut open, they're not remotely secure.

While I agree with the 'out of site' concept and that anything can be broken into, I periodically have lots of valuable scuba equipment or tools on-board, why would I choose to make a theft easy?

I have a Roll N Lock cover, have used them for 15 years, and never worry about leaving my truck parked with valuables.

Yes, someone with a K12 saw could eventually cut through the cover but most thefts are unplanned, crimes of convenience. And a K12 saw cutting my cover would be horrendously loud.

I sleep very well, regardless of the location parked or the amount of gear I have in the truck. :cool:

That to me, makes a good cover worth the expense.

Last edited:

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4- 3:73- 6 Speed
As mentioned I don’t believe the soft cover is a security risk. However I have a soft cover and will be replacing it before long going back to a hard cover. I absolutely hate the soft cover. It stretches especially in the summer. It waves when going down the highway and I can see the wave in my rear view mirror and it drives me nuts. I have the roll up type and I am constantly having to walk down each side of the bed picking up the cover from the velcro strip, stretching it and re-attaching it. It does the job but it’s cheap and time consuming. Save your money and get a Bak flip trifold or retractable.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I don't see any point in the soft covers. I went with the Bak Revolver x4s and don't regret it one bit. My bed usually has work items in it, though I'm just a painter, so cheaper tools than a lot of trades.
There is no such thing as "just a painter", Bacon. All of us put in the sweat we need to in order to keep this world spinning.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
IMO if they want in, they are gonna get in. Hard or soft. They will destroy either one in no time if someone really wants to.
True, but the best we can do is keep the honest people honest and make it hard enough on the crooks that they take their greasy self elsewhere.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
No brackets to attach, no rails to align, no drains to plug, etc.; it comes off in 2 min and on in 5 min and weighs 15 lbs so I can carry it with one hand and store it anywhere.

For $240 delivered to my door it kept my bed just as dry as my dad's Bakflip MX4 that cost 5x what I paid.

As far as theft never had an issue for the 3 years I had the cover (sold the truck).

Had the truck for 4 years with no wheel locks and the wheels were never stolen (I did put a lock on the spare).

Had a F-250 for 11 years prior to that with no wheel locks and no theft issues there either (spare tire lock as well - can't make it too easy ;)).

frag

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi v8
It really depends on the value of what you put back there. For me, it's empty most of the time. If you are storing tools, or things like golf clubs you may want to consider somethin more secure.

But - at least it is out-of-sight-out-of-mind.

I have had a soft cover on my truck for 5 years now. Left it all sorts of places, no one has ever bothered it. Hopefully I'm not jinxing myself...
Same here. I've had soft roll-ups on my last 5 trucks and never had a problem but i'm careful what i store back there. I like the fact that if i'm driving down the road and see something big at tag sale chances are i can fit it into my truck.

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If I was worried about theft I suppose it would be a hard cover ,it would make it a bit more difficult . but I am not . A soft roll up has served me well for over 20 years , two different trucks without issue.

I’d hate to have to replace a decent hard cover @ $1500 plus . A good roll up @ $400 would be less painful if ruined during a theft . Bottom line is ,as many has said , and if you have possibly been targeted , then it probably doesn’t matter what cover you have .