Soft covers - theft a problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Its a shame theivery is so bad now that we have to worry about things we pay for getting broken into.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Locks only keep honest people honest. If you have a hard cover, a **** head can just bust it open with a good pry bar in a few seconds. Door locks don't prevent people from smashing windows. if they want to get in your sh*t, they'll get in. I'd spring for a higher quality soft tonneau vs a cheap hard tonneau if budget was a major concern.
How about an expensive hard tonneau cover? This one is $2200:

T_Unit114

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How about an expensive hard tonneau cover? This one is $2200:

You can buy whatever you want. I have a weatherguard toolbox to keep stuff out of the weather and mostly secure. Getting into that toolbox is generally more effort and work than it's worth. But it eats up bed space. Everything has its strengths and weaknesses. Hard covers are more secure than soft covers. Soft covers are cheaper and less cumbersome usually.

Shop around, find what suits your wants and needs best.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As everyone else has already said, depends on what you keep in the bed. Personally I don’t keep anything of value in the bed for long periods. My tool box is behind the back seat in the cab. I purchased the cheapest soft roll up cover Amazon had five years ago. Never vandalized. It still looks good for a budget cover but I don’t live in the snow belt.

PA Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a soft tri-fold, but have it mostly for camping to keep stuff including firewood dry while driving to campgrounds. I haven't had issues with anyone trying to vandalize it. Short of cutting through the cover the tailgate has to be open to release latches. Wouldn't leave anything in there that I wouldn't leave in there uncovered as far as stuff that could be stolen. Works well to keep stuff dry.

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
No brackets to attach, no rails to align, no drains to plug, etc.; it comes off in 2 min and on in 5 min and weighs 15 lbs so I can carry it with one hand and store it anywhere.

For $240 delivered to my door it kept my bed just as dry as my dad's Bakflip MX4 that cost 5x what I paid.

As far as theft never had an issue for the 3 years I had the cover (sold the truck).

Had the truck for 4 years with no wheel locks and the wheels were never stolen (I did put a lock on the spare).

Had a F-250 for 11 years prior to that with no wheel locks and no theft issues there either (spare tire lock as well - can't make it too easy ;)).

I was looking at the BAK Revolver X4s cover for my 23 RAM but I’m confused by this post. What I’m finding is a cost of $1,100-1,200 for the X4s vs $240 and a weight listed of 81 lbs, not 15. Maybe just the top roll minus the rails is 15 lbs? Am I looking at something different ??

BuschLatte420

chill water by day, drink beer by night
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic tradesmen crew cab 6’4 box
Engine
5.7L NON E-TORQUE 3.92 gears 4x4
I added the mopar factory tri fold soft cover when I built my truck, I love it!

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was looking at the BAK Revolver X4s cover for my 23 RAM but I’m confused by this post. What I’m finding is a cost of $1,100-1,200 for the X4s vs $240 and a weight listed of 81 lbs, not 15. Maybe just the top roll minus the rails is 15 lbs? Am I looking at something different ??
In total, it definitely weighs around 80lbs. Mine all came in one box, rails and cover. I paid around $1200 for mine. Not sure what the $240 would be for. Unless you maybe need different rails for the ram box bed? Do you have the rambox?

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
No, just the standard 5’7” bed and tailgate.

Thanks

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You can buy whatever you want. I have a weatherguard toolbox to keep stuff out of the weather and mostly secure. Getting into that toolbox is generally more effort and work than it's worth. But it eats up bed space. Everything has its strengths and weaknesses. Hard covers are more secure than soft covers. Soft covers are cheaper and less cumbersome usually.

Shop around, find what suits your wants and needs best.
Agreed...the one I pictured is what I had installed several months ago. Not continuously, but I often have a generator and several other not-cheap items in my bed and I, too, try to make it harder than the effort is worth for some AH to break in. They can still do it, but the time it would take and the noise they would make would draw a lot of attention. Just try to make it difficult enough for them to look another direction for an easier target.