Softer Tire Suggestion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DJElliL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have a 2020 PW and it's about time for a tire change. Currently have stock tires but would like to go up to 35s. On interstates with joints (looking at you I-15 in Salt Lake) the stock tires bounce like crazy. Any suggestions for something with a "softer" ride?

Udy2554

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im on Kenda Klever RTs! (E rated)

45psi: “soft”, almost “squishy”! Well mannered!

60psi: I can feel everything in the road! Still well mannered! Much more responsive at higher pressure!

50psi: my happy medium!

I only run 60psi pulling my camper or equipment trailer!

‘18 PowerWagon! Lots of weight in the bed!

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Are you running tire pressures at the door sticker? That’s too high for a PW unless you’re loaded to the max.

I’ve usually been pleased with BFG KO tires, ran them in 35’s on my previous wagon.

This truck I decided to take a chance on Goodyear Duratrac, 35” E rated.

The good: they work well in all conditions, better in mud than the KO. The ride off road is smoother aired down. On road I’m running 40 f, 35r which gives a nice smooth ride.

The bad: they don’t balance as well as some. I’m on my third rotation and balance, and they’ve been prone to an intermittent minor shake around 55 mph since the beginning. They seem to be wearing down a little faster than BFG (sidebar- I’m very hard on tires).

If a smooth ride is your priority, take a look at D rated 35’s. Less common, but plenty of load capacity for a PW.

Udy2554

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are you running tire pressures at the door sticker? That’s too high for a PW unless you’re loaded to the max.

I’ve usually been pleased with BFG KO tires, ran them in 35’s on my previous wagon.

This truck I decided to take a chance on Goodyear Duratrac, 35” E rated.

The good: they work well in all conditions, better in mud than the KO. The ride off road is smoother aired down. On road I’m running 40 f, 35r which gives a nice smooth ride.

The bad: they don’t balance as well as some. I’m on my third rotation and balance, and they’ve been prone to an intermittent minor shake around 55 mph since the beginning. They seem to be wearing down a little faster than BFG (sidebar- I’m very hard on tires).

If a smooth ride is your priority, take a look at D rated 35’s. Less common, but plenty of load capacity for a PW.

I loved the d rated Duratracs on my Tacoma! But yes, they seemed to wear fast on the PowerWagon!

I believe the factory Duratracs were d rated on the Wagon?

On the Tacoma, 40,000-45,000 miles! On the Wagon, I’d be lucky to get 20,000!

Duratracs we’re awesome on snowy roads too!

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I am looking for something that rides better than the transforce E rated tires that came on my '22 laramie 2500. I air em down to 60# unless towing and that is tollerable but would like some tires that are a little softer and smoother when not towing. my 5th wheel is under 10000#. am thinking of going with the Falkens like I had on my 1500 laramie. they were great tires. quiet/smooth riding/good traction in bad weather. has anybody tried them on their 2500 dsl.

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I air em down to 60# unless towing

You bring them DOWN to 60? Wtf do you have them at normally? My tires are way different than yours but I run at 30, even with the loaded stock trailer. I might go to 35 if I was going to be hauling all day or something but that's it. Even on other vehicles with different profiles I've never run above 40. 60+ just seems excessive.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
they are 80# tires. I set at 70-75 for towing. I have tried 55# but worry that they may wear the funny. on my 1500 I would run those 20" wildpeaks at 35# unless towing, then 42#

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I run 45 in the front and 40 in the rear. Check out Thurens website. They talk about tire pressure a bit. A 35 on 17's will definitely have different characteristics than a 35 on 20's if that makes any sense.

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
The ride of any tire is mostly due the air pressure you run. Having been a tire dealer for a few decades I think Michelins ride the best of any tire but they do not make a good tire for the Power Wagon. reducing your air pressure from 65 to 45 will make a world of difference and still carry the loads you generally see on a POwer wagon. If you can live with the air pressure light on the dash then great, if not you will need to get a module from AEV that will defeat it. People drove for 100 years without a air pressure warning light so it can still be done.

OP
OP
D

DJElliL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I've been running my tires above 50 for quite a while, and I think that's contributed to things. I'll probably go with some BFGs since I've seen a lot of positive reviews on them on PWs. Will give 35/30 PSI a try first!

2Tallguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 diesel
I'd keep the
I have a 2020 PW and it's about time for a tire change. Currently have stock tires but would like to go up to 35s. On interstates with joints (looking at you I-15 in Salt Lake) the stock tires bounce like crazy. Any suggestions for something with a "softer" ride?
Keep the e-rated shocks and consider some softer coils and tuned shocks.

DrTron

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'll probably go with some BFGs since I've seen a lot of positive reviews on them on PWs. Will give 35/30 PSI a try first!
I have the Nitto Recon Grappler in 35' and they're very well-mannered and quiet. Running about 47-48 psi on all wheels.
But 30 psi may be rather low. On a normal car/SUV I usually run around 40, and I've never had any abnormal wear.