{SOLVED} HID High Beam flashing on and off back and forth

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michael Dennison

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi All

I have a 2014 Ram Outdoorsman I upgraded all 4 Headlights to HID I purchased all 4 as Canbus

When my headlights are in auto mode during the day it uses my high beams as Daytime running lights I have had this problem since installing them and I have to turn the headlights to the on position during the day to stop this as when I forget people pull over thinking I'm a emergency vehicle

I purchased the OBDlink MX+ and AlfaOBD as I been researching that I can fix this problem with my truck ..

Watching YouTube videos and from what I read in here I have to turn on VehicleConfig 3 High Intensity Discharge Lights which I have done

When I Test them in the daylight they are still flashing

I also tried turning on the CBC Bi-Xenon as some people suggest in YouTube videos but this cause the daytime running lights not to function at all Can't have that in Canada

Can someone help me or know what else I have to change to get the PWM to stop working !

I know the truck is taking the commands as I turned on global Windows down and this works I also wait 5 minutes in between changes

Tonight I turned High Intensity Discharge Lights off and back on and leaving it over night to see if that fixes the problem s

Thanks in advance
Mike

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
You'll have to set the drl's to a different location. Because the drl's as high beams are set at half power it's not enough voltage for the hid's.

2018 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman
1990 5.9L 12v Cummins W250

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Also, you might get a conflict by using AlfaOBD to change settings but still having CANBUS decoders on the bulbs.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I'd think it's either/or. CANBUS adapters or settings changed with AlfaOBD.
Maybe some Alfa experts can chime in.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
switching the DRLs to the low beams may cause a similar issue, you may want to remove the HIDs from the highs and use LEDs. HID ballasts are much more sensitive to low and fluctuating power and there are LEDs that work with the DRL lower voltage.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
So does this mean I can use the cheaper ballast instead of buying the canbus ones?

Innovited is a great option. Somewhere around $35 on Amazon. You shouldn't have any issues leaving the canbus adapters in if you don't want to disassemble everything. Switching to low's you should be fine. Low's run at regular voltage for drl's. Only "issue" would be you'd be using the low's constantly and a lot more on/off which could cause premature failure of a bulb or ballast. As crash stated led's for highs is a great option. Led's can handle the lower voltage handle constant on/off better than hid's

2018 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman
1990 5.9L 12v Cummins W250