Sounds like wind entering the cabin

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brian666

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ram cares, I may need your help now! My truck has been in the shop for going on 3 weeks, the tech's heard the wind noise at first and said it was not right. The dealer does not know what to do, so now I'm being told that "it's normal wind noise" and I just have to live with it. Any help, or suggestions would be great. Thanks, Brian M.

13ram1500crew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Seriously, this would make a great "how to" topic. It would be a sticky for sure...

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

The problem is, every vehicle is different due to the body build being different, inner to outer doors building different, doors installed on the vehicle differently, fitters at the plant being different. Its too difficult to make one step by step instruction. The concept is the same, the most basic point is that every panel needs to be approx 0.5mm over flush to the next towards the rear to allow the wind to travel over the panels instead of through the gap. You also need to make sure the weather strip has good compression. The paper test can point you out to problem areas. Use a 2" strip piece of paper by holding inside the upper door header and close the door, the paper should be tight and you should not be able to move it very easily, If it moves easy, the seal gap is too large which allows wind/water to enter the cabin. If the front door shows good flushness to the rear door (0.5mm over), then the door header can be bent. But this is the tricky part that i wouldn't recommend doing without experience. Doing this improperly can destroy the door.

The dealer might have an ultrasonic tester that they can use to detect where the leak is coming from. It emits an ultrasonic test inside the cabin, while the tech is outside with the doors closed with a wand type receiver and a headset which lets him/her hear the leak while they follow the door to door gaps, windshield perimeter, etc...

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Thanks for the info!

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Ram cares, I may need your help now! My truck has been in the shop for going on 3 weeks, the tech's heard the wind noise at first and said it was not right. The dealer does not know what to do, so now I'm being told that "it's normal wind noise" and I just have to live with it. Any help, or suggestions would be great. Thanks, Brian M.
@Ramcares

SOKY_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Seriously you need to try this. Make sure the max a/c is off by turning the temp selector knob 1-click back towards hot. Toggle the recirc button on and off by pressing in the center of the speed selector knob. If you hear the wind noise go away it is your recirc door inside the AC unit. My wind noise goes away completely when I do this.

bruce219

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
pentastar
I took mirrors off mine and put weather stripping and rolled down windows and and tried to bend upper part of doors.Made a big difference.

hablox

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Try cycling your HVAC recirculation switch and see if it makes a difference. OK never mind I just read the post 2 above me....

stateofdade

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
mine does it as well however I don't really notice it until between 65-70. What i did notice is if i lower the window slightly and back up it diminishes slightly sometimes. weird.
Mine does it at all speeds over 15. I've examined the seals and can't figure it out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

stateofdade

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Seriously you need to try this. Make sure the max a/c is off by turning the temp selector knob 1-click back towards hot. Toggle the recirc button on and off by pressing in the center of the speed selector knob. If you hear the wind noise go away it is your recirc door inside the AC unit. My wind noise goes away completely when I do this.
All of the noise is on the passenger side by the doors on my truck. Good suggestions.

SOKY_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
All of the noise is on the passenger side by the doors on my truck. Good suggestions.

That is where this noise sounds like its coming from as well. I messed with doors and mirrors, put tape all over stuff, drove me nuts until i read this on another thread. Its just pushing a few buttons and turning a knob so if you haven't tried it yet it's worth a shot.

stateofdade

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
That is where this noise sounds like its coming from as well. I messed with doors and mirrors, put tape all over stuff, drove me nuts until i read this on another thread. Its just pushing a few buttons and turning a knob so if you haven't tried it yet it's worth a shot.
Will do!

Brian666

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So my dealer started/opened a "star campaign" with Chrysler. That means they tell Chrysler what they have done so far (new weather stripping, and window seals). Now they leave it up to the Chrysler engineers to tell them what to do next. I'm waiting now to see what they come up with, but the big boss in the service dept. Agree's that the wind noise is not acceptable on a brand new almost $50k truck. I'll let everyone know when i get an update.

Hurricane1970

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve had this problem since I picked up my 2018 Laramie a few months ago. Always seemed to be coming from the passenger side. Couldn’t find the time to take it in. While vacuuming and cleaning the inside last weekend found what looks like to be a threaded hole for a bolt in the floor board under the passenger seat just in front of the jack. No idea what it’s for, but I installed a bolt that fit the hole and problem solved.

Brian666

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update. The Chrysler engineers don't know what to do, so the dealer had me pick my truck up and make a complaint with Chrysler. I did that today, I'll let everyone know what they decide to do once I hear back.