Spare Tire Lowering Mechanism - Not Functional

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OD Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
Hey guys, the tube I insert the jack into to lower the spare tire is broken off at the end, so lowering it is impossible. Is there another way to get it down without breaking what holds it up? I was just planning on cutting through what keeps it in place but it will ruin it. If it's impossible to get around this problem, what clever ways can I haul the spare tire on the bed of my truck?

Thanks,
OD Ram

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
sound like you will have to cut through the hanger. After that you might be able to get the parts to replace it from a junk yard

OP
OP
OD Ram

OD Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
Never thought of getting some spare parts from a junkyard. There's one nearby, I'll look.

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
You could tack weld something on the tube enough to get a grip to turn it down.

OP
OP
OD Ram

OD Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
Too late now, cut it off yesterday. It seemed easier than trying to fix it. I'll get it fixed at some point.

Batt4Christ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
When I bought my first ram (a 2000 ram 1500 Quad Cab), I had a flat tire on the interstate nowhere near an exit.

Got pulled off. Found my lowering tool and went at it... Only problem- the little receiver thing was missing on the mechanism. So there was nothing to turn!

Not a happy day! Two friends came and we worked out tails off for nearly 2 hours to get that spare down and the tire changed. Paid a "friendly" visit to the dealer the next day. The service guy said I was nuts- must have been doing something wrong/didn't know what I was doing....

Well- came back 15 minutes later and apologized. They didn't have the part in stock, so they took it off a truck on the lot! They said it look ad if it was never installed.