Speaker swap worth it ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cowboy345

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Stock sound system but I can honestly feel it becoming tired! Now I have absolutely zero knowledge about sound systems. But I can replace all the speakers with kicker brand speakers, will that help the quality of my audio sound over stock. Only reason I ask is because crutch field recommends 6.5 sizes in the doors and behind the seats (single cab truck) instead of the 6x9s. Not looking to run no wire, add subs and Amps, or change the head unit. Just wanting to confirm if it will be and improvement due to them being 6.5s instead of 6x9s.

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
If you go with all 6.5s you will lose your midbass. You could do 6.5s upfront and 6x9s in back that will help

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
you can do it, but keep in mind it will change the way it sounds. may be for the better or the worse.

ekholmgren

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just did a swap on a crew can with jbls and it made a significant difference. You can fit 6x9's in the front and back of you need to. Crutchfield days almost nothing fits but it is largely because there isn't room to use their speaker adapters with the speakers. You must need a 6x9 with a top mount depth of 3" or less.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Stick with 6x9s in doors, they'll fit.

wsutard1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Aftermarket speakers you put in are going to be much tighter on the bass than the stock ones. Which means you are probably going to lose some bass notes on the low end. Overall you will get a much better sound.

OP
OP
Cowboy345

Cowboy345

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Only reason I asked is I can get everything I need for the swap off of a local guy but there 6.5s brand new in box kickers. I've been in the mini trucking sence and seen some bad ass systems and that's not what I'm after just a little better quality and clarity is all I want.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
6.5 inch speakers are great, when separating out the speakers, into their individual components. You are NOT doing that.

Easy upgrade? Go with 6x9.
Your ears will thank you.

If wanting to use 6.5, then bare minimum, add 6x9, in the rear of the cab, and amp them up.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Tell you what, I really do not think you will be happy with a set of 6.5 inchers.
Think I ruined one 20 yr old's day, on this forum, with too much blunt honesty.
May as well try to make another 20yr old's day a little better.

I got 4 factory 6x9's sitting somewhere, in my garage.
Give me your address, I will box them up, mail them to you.
When you get them, look at the price of the postage, then mail that amount to the return address.

They came out of my 2014, and are not much, but they were not used long. I yanked them puppies, PDQ, after I bought the truck.

My OEM Stereo was the UConnect 3.0 & I have no idea what the speakers are.
You are welcome to them.

FYI, GrayGoose is one of the guys, whose threads I stalked, to learn about stereo's.
Guy knows his stuff. Listen to him.

Last edited:

popcenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just upgraded my speakers to the 6x9s with the 3.5s in the dash and what a difference it made. Graygoose is the man when it comes to that stuff, he helped me out a bit. Install was almost too easy.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'd do the kicker drop ins as they are ment to work with the stock stereo. After that you will want to do an amped setup to really hear a diffence above the kickers.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Cowboy345

Cowboy345

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You have a link to the 6*9 kicker kit ? I can't find it for a regular cab

popcenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not sure what the speaker situation for the regular cabs are, but 77KICK41 replaces the door speakers, and KSC354 replaces the dash. So I ordered 2 sets of the 6x9s since I have a crew cab.

All assuming you don't have the Alpine system.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

Tyrant

Reaction score
Ram Year
'12CC / '15RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you have the amplified system?

i have the alpine system in my reg cab and went with infiniti 3.5" in the dash and 6x9 in both doors and the side panel.

it was a huge upgrade and the sound is awesome! one thing to keep in mind is that the inifiniti speakers are bigger, the dash was easy but the doors required some trimming to the plastic support.
also the connector for the dash speakers is a unicorn of connectors - couldn't find it anywhere, finally gave up and spliced into the original wires.

on my crew cab Laramie I went with the OEM kicker upgrade - really wasn't the night and day difference as in the reg cab, and in retrospect i wish that i just went the same route and got the infiniti's.

OP
OP
Cowboy345

Cowboy345

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Alright so I can get 4 6.5 kickers and the dash speakers for cheap off my buddy but he's also got a 10 inch kicker sub in a box and like a cheap 150 watt amp. I know I said I wasn't wanting a sub but I can get it cheap and it'll be a upgrade but my question is how can I wire up a sub with a stock headunit in a 2011 express ?

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
alright so i can get 4 6.5 kickers and the dash speakers for cheap off my buddy but he's also got a 10 inch kicker sub in a box and like a cheap 150 watt amp. I know i said i wasn't wanting a sub but i can get it cheap and it'll be a upgrade but my question is how can i wire up a sub with a stock headunit in a 2011 express ?

loc

dteuscher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not sure what the speaker situation for the regular cabs are, but 77KICK41 replaces the door speakers, and KSC354 replaces the dash. So I ordered 2 sets of the 6x9s since I have a crew cab.

All assuming you don't have the Alpine system.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

popcenator - I just installed the KSC354 yesterday and now I am going to start looking into the doors. If you want 6x9s, it looks like the 77KICK41 is the only game in town. Are you happy with these? Also, you haven't had any issues with the Head Unit running the 4 ohm (vs the stock 8 ohm) dash speakers right? Crutchfield says they "shouldn't" cause a problem. I faded to the rear a little because they were a bit loud.

popcenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've been very happy with the 77KICK41s. I'm running those in the door and the 354s in the dash myself and am having no issues using the stock HU. I also faded to the rear a little because the new dash speakers are a little overwhelming, especially when you first hear them.

Sent from my Nexus 6P