Speakers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigdog1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
https://share.icloud.com/photos/06aX_YRWsaQ9bsUFZqRj7IH1w Hey guys I have a 2011 Laramie with the Alpine system. All four doors and the speakers near the “A” pillars quit working. The ones in the room and center of dash work tbough. Any clue on how to fix. I checked the radio and it looks fine

That link is to a video of what’s going on

Last edited:

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Start simple and check fuses and the like, check the amplifier is still powered. How is your trucks battery? My radio quit working altogether on my 08 Dodge Charger. So I drove the car for over a year or two, thinking the radio just died, I wasn't going to replace it so I kept on driving. The battery after 13 years gave up the ghost, car wouldn't turn over anymore after sitting for over a week......replaced the battery and the car fired right up and the radio started working again. Sometimes it's the most stupid things that create the most headaches.

OP
OP
Bigdog1

Bigdog1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So I checked the radio wires and they’re fine, but I wiggled a plug on the amp and they started working again but didn’t actually play the radio just made noise. Fuses are good too

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Sounds like an issue with your amp. Your radio has left and right channel outputs that go to the amp, which then are processed and distributed to the speakers. The fact that your center speaker works tells me you are getting output from the radio so the issue must be internal to the amp.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Might try disconnecting the battery for a couple minutes to reboot everything. Maybe you’ll get lucky.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I checked the radio wires and they’re fine, but I wiggled a plug on the amp and they started working again but didn’t actually play the radio just made noise. Fuses are good too

If wiggling the connector on the radio restored the sound on the previously mentioned dead speakers, why not unplug the connector and inspect both ends for damage or corrosion?

Connectors are simple mechanical connections that often fail over time due to corrosion or sometimes they get damaged by the wires being yanked.

Very often a small amount of corrosion can be cleaned up to restore proper operation.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Most cars/trucks come with cheap OEM speakers !
The cone is made of paper and gets damp from the moisture that slips in from the windows !
So not uncommon for them to go !
And you may have been losing 1 at a time and not noticed ! Happened to me on my car !
You have been given all good advice so figure I would throw 1 more in !
If all the above fail to fix it see if you can find a test speaker then check 1 at a time !
Please post a UPDATE what you do find !
Thanks

OP
OP
Bigdog1

Bigdog1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If wiggling the connector on the radio restored the sound on the previously mentioned dead speakers, why not unplug the connector and inspect both ends for damage or corrosion?

Connectors are simple mechanical connections that often fail over time due to corrosion or sometimes they get damaged by the wires being yanked.

Very often a small amount of corrosion can be cleaned up to restore proper operation.

It was the connector on the Amp. I’ll check it when I get home

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It was the connector on the Amp. I’ll check it when I get home

But you said they didn't actually play, they just made noise? Most likely just feedback from the amp from making and breaking the connection. Highly unlikely All of those speakers failed at the same time either. My bet is still the amp.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
But you said they didn't actually play, they just made noise? Most likely just feedback from the amp from making and breaking the connection. Highly unlikely All of those speakers failed at the same time either. My bet is still the amp.

Yes, I should have asked for clarification.

When you said they started working again but just made noise, did you ever hear any intelligible sounds or just static or tissue paper crinkling noises?

OP
OP
Bigdog1

Bigdog1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

.so replace the amp?

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So mine did this and I swapped out the turn dial radio for a touchscreen stock replacement and they fired back up.

OP
OP
Bigdog1

Bigdog1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yes, I should have asked for clarification.

When you said they started working again but just made noise, did you ever hear any intelligible sounds or just static or tissue paper crinkling noises?
So mine did this and I swapped out the turn dial radio for a touchscreen stock replacement and they fired back up.
Mine has the icon next touch screen, granted it has the turn dial volume but other than that it’s touch screen

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

But did you have the Alpine system with the amp? If not you can't relate this to his issue, it's a different system

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
easy to check speakers, just unplug and use a ohm meter, , or a 1.5v battery, stick across the speaker connector and you will hear a pop. It could sound like crap if the cones are warped, but the chances of all speakers die at the same time is very remote. this checks the coil in the speaker that it's not open.
I have not worked on these newer ones, there could be fuses an the output for the speaker in the amp, I don't know with out a schematic.
I always kept a small test speaker in the shop, any small one will work , most are 4 or 8 ohm.
Don't matter for testing

OP
OP
Bigdog1

Bigdog1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
easy to check speakers, just unplug and use a ohm meter, , or a 1.5v battery, stick across the speaker connector and you will hear a pop. It could sound like crap if the cones are warped, but the chances of all speakers die at the same time is very remote. this checks the coil in the speaker that it's not open.
I have not worked on these newer ones, there could be fuses an the output for the speaker in the amp, I don't know with out a schematic.
I always kept a small test speaker in the shop, any small one will work , most are 4 or 8 ohm.
Don't matter for testing
I replaced the amp and they’re working as should

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Glad it worked out, my comments was mainly for those that want to check speakers .