Standard Transmission trucks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vapiper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, anyone know of a good site, or how to find out who is currently producing standard transmission trucks? Or what packages Ram offers in standard? Hate that it's getting harder and harder to find....Tried search but not really coming up with anything....

bobbo7915

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7L
i believe the only trucks still sold with standards are the ram 2500/3500 cummins and the toyota tacoma....

Ram should be able to order in up to the Laramie trim.

Last edited:

homebrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I believe Nissan Toyota and Ram are the only ones. I love the manual trans in my truck, but hate the clutch. Saving up for a heavy duty clutch. Wish the badge on the side of my truck that says heavy duty really meant heavy duty .

satxwy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
I think these guys nailed it. Offered in limited configurations on Ram 2500/3500, and then offered on the base models of each of the midsize trucks (Colorado / Canyon / Frontier / Tacoma). Frontiers and Tacomas also offer a 6 speed manual/V6 combo on some better optioned configurations.

6speedcummins

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I got one and I love it. Ram only offers them in 2500's and up with the Cummins. And if you do get the manual, it's a de-rated cummins. They don't offer the high output with the manual because they say the clutch can't take it.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I loved my manual 2500 cummins until it was time to replace it. It seemed it would pull a house of its foundation idling in first gear, and those lazy 35mpg rides (in a mega cab) were nice. Also loved my manual Nissan and Vette, a few others I've had.

But it seems that a manual transmission is one of those things that very few people want. So dealers are thinking of how long the truck is going to sit on the lot before it sells (mine was sitting on the new lot for six months). After several months of trying to get a reasonable dollar amount for it, I did find someone that wanted it on a trade and got a reasonable value. I purchase it thinking I'd keep it forever, but it was just way too big for its current use. The clutch was fine but I was a bit surprised what a simple clutch replacement cost was.

Last edited:

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
I had an '06 2500 with 5.7 hemi/G56 manual. Loved it. The only reason I sold that truck is because I had to. Couldn't get 2 carseats plus me and the wife in the regular cab. I do have a G56 transmission that came from an '06 donor truck with hemi that sometime will be going in the '11 :happy107:

Attachments

• KIMG0321.jpg
    KIMG0321.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 34

Jeff CA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think the defunct SRT-10 came with a manual.

yrral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Manufacturers don't put manuals in their trucks because they don't like replacing the clutches under warranty. Burned out by drivers who want it but can't operate the clutch correctly.

Even operated correctly, it is a wear item, so it is hard to put a warranty on them.

And today there is no point to a manual. Electronic transmissions shift wonderfully quick to virtually eliminate any wear and with more gears and auto lock up the mileage is better. I don't believe many would want to shift an 8 speed.

And auto's are just as tough as any manual. They've had auto's in buses for 40 years.

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
Manufacturers don't put manuals in their trucks because they don't like replacing the clutches under warranty. Burned out by drivers who want it but can't operate the clutch correctly.

Even operated correctly, it is a wear item, so it is hard to put a warranty on them.

And today there is no point to a manual. Electronic transmissions shift wonderfully quick to virtually eliminate any wear and with more gears and auto lock up the mileage is better. I don't believe many would want to shift an 8 speed.

And auto's are just as tough as any manual. They've had auto's in buses for 40 years.

I want a manual because replacing the clutch is something I can do in the driveway in an afternoon whereas rebuilding an auto is at least 4x more money and the truck down several days. A clutch is a wear item wherever one exists and inside an auto trans there are several clutches any of which begin failing the rest go with along with the valve body and sometimes the pump. Yeah the 8 speeds shift quicker but they shift more often. Every shift there's some slippage, cannot be avoided. Slippage is wear. It'll be interesting to see how the shift-happy 8 speeds hold up over time. They've proven they can hold the power and not slip initially, let's see how they do once those cvi numbers start creeping up.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I want a manual because replacing the clutch is something I can do in the driveway in an afternoon whereas rebuilding an auto is at least 4x more money and the truck down several days. A clutch is a wear item wherever one exists and inside an auto trans there are several clutches any of which begin failing the rest go with along with the valve body and sometimes the pump. Yeah the 8 speeds shift quicker but they shift more often. Every shift there's some slippage, cannot be avoided. Slippage is wear. It'll be interesting to see how the shift-happy 8 speeds hold up over time. They've proven they can hold the power and not slip initially, let's see how they do once those cvi numbers start creeping up.

That is great but in an industry where many a nickle savings spread out over millions of vehicles makes equates into real money and profits, catering to the few shade tree mechanics like yourself does not support a business case for them to keep manuals like they did in years past.

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
That is great but in an industry where many a nickle savings spread out over millions of vehicles makes equates into real money and profits, catering to the few shade tree mechanics like yourself does not support a business case for them to keep manuals like they did in years past.

Yeah, I get it. I got 106k out of this 545RFE so far. Hate it but it's what it is. It's coming out while it's still "good used". The 545RFE drops often enough that someone will need a good used one in a pinch. I should have the G56 swap done for $1500 to boot with a new clutch and then I'll never have to worry about it again. :happy107:

The thing I hate about automatics is that they will all fail eventually, it's just a matter of when. Their tuning is designed to get them past the warranty period so the extra repair costs fall on the consumer. Torque management and all that garbage just for cost savings of the mfg at no benefit to the consumer. The '06 I had with the 345hp 5.7L hemi/G56 feels exactly the same as this 383hp VVT 5.7L hemi/545RFE. 38 more hp and feels exactly the same. That bothers me.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
would love a manual in my sport.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tigger54