started lowering my 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bjohn118

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
so after long debating and deciding to go down with the truck instead of up like i always do i went to air ride and got a bag kit for a 2wd and made it work for a 4wd because it fit right into place only had to modify the bottom plate for the airspring.
20140529_231353.jpg
if i run the pressure airirde recomends it sits at the exact height i want the truck to be which is how i have it at the moment even though the front isnt lowered yet, if i run an extra 5 psi in the bags it brings the back up to match the front and airride told me today that i could do that with those springs. 20140530_151741.jpg
what do you guys think? any suggestions on the front and how low i would need to go?

OP
OP
B

bjohn118

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
would it be possible to buy the ground force lowering springs and make it lower with the mcgaughys spindles if need be im just worried only lowering it 2 inches wont be enough since in reality its only 1.5 inches. i would really like something like what green mamba has but i have read and read im willing to spend the cash i just want to do it a step at a time and make sure i get it level with the back at ride height

BlkRamRt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
i cant wait to see the outcome. i am sure with a little fab you can make something work upfront.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
would it be possible to buy the ground force lowering springs and make it lower with the mcgaughys spindles if need be im just worried only lowering it 2 inches wont be enough since in reality its only 1.5 inches. i would really like something like what green mamba has but i have read and read im willing to spend the cash i just want to do it a step at a time and make sure i get it level with the back at ride height

Well, I'll take that as a compliment, thanks for taking the time to read my thread. If you want to bring the front down then you can order just the front GF springs, you just need to call them directly to order as they're not listed separetely from their kit. If you want to bring it down further then you have 2 options: getting another inch is easy by using the 2wd spindles and this won't/shouldn't cause any CV joint issues, or you can get the extra 2" (1-1/2"-1 3/4") with the McG's spindles. Once my front end settled I'm now just under a 32" ground-fender height with a 30.4" diameter wheel. If you go with the McG's spindles then plan on the extra $700 for the Kore CV joints. I now believe that the UCAs are optional at this point as the ride height upper ball joint angle is not as extreme as I'd originally thought.

My concern would be if you brought the front all the way down that you'll have trouble getting the back end to balance out without bottoming out on the internal bumpstops of the air spring all the time. I've been having this issue with mine and I'm finally swapping the air spring out for conventional springs, but I was running a spacer over a low compression height convoluted bag, I'm curious to see if the rolling lobe spring has less of an issue even with their typical internal height limitations. To match my front I only have an 8.5" spring ride height, and it's rough as hell.

Are/have you replaced the rear shocks? Do NOT buy the bell tech street performers for a 2wd, they are WAY too soft for the air springs, I would go straight to the QA1s, I've bought a set myself so I can get rid of the SP I have right now.

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

OP
OP
B

bjohn118

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well, I'll take that as a compliment, thanks for taking the time to read my thread. If you want to bring the front down then you can order just the front GF springs, you just need to call them directly to order as they're not listed separetely from their kit. If you want to bring it down further then you have 2 options: getting another inch is easy by using the 2wd spindles and this won't/shouldn't cause any CV joint issues, or you can get the extra 2" (1-1/2"-1 3/4") with the McG's spindles. Once my front end settled I'm now just under a 32" ground-fender height with a 30.4" diameter wheel. If you go with the McG's spindles then plan on the extra $700 for the Kore CV joints. I now believe that the UCAs are optional at this point as the ride height upper ball joint angle is not as extreme as I'd originally thought.

My concern would be if you brought the front all the way down that you'll have trouble getting the back end to balance out without bottoming out on the internal bumpstops of the air spring all the time. I've been having this issue with mine and I'm finally swapping the air spring out for conventional springs, but I was running a spacer over a low compression height convoluted bag, I'm curious to see if the rolling lobe spring has less of an issue even with their typical internal height limitations. To match my front I only have an 8.5" spring ride height, and it's rough as hell.

Are/have you replaced the rear shocks? Do NOT buy the bell tech street performers for a 2wd, they are WAY too soft for the air springs, I would go straight to the QA1s, I've bought a set myself so I can get rid of the SP I have right now.

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

thank you for your help you are like a guru with this stuff and i envy your truck its actually what made me want to lower mine. but i have not yet ordered a pair of shocks. airride has a set of shocks for my airbag kit but they are 350 dollars for a set which seems a little steep in my eyes do you possibly have a part number for the shocks for the back that would work with it?
i think im gonna try the gf springs and see where that gets me because i believe i should be about level from what i measured today but if need be i will add 2wd spindles and im sure that will work from what you have said. i might go ahead and see about the kore cvs anyway just because we have a farm and i occasionally see a field with it when im not in our service truck or my jeep but im also stupid enough to drive my new camaro in a field to lol
Also im looking at 24x9.5 helo 866 with a 10mm offset what tire size would you recommend been looking at 420s in 285/35r24 or 305/35r24 would either one of these tires be a good choice size wise i would like as much tire as possible im not a big fan of tiny sidewall tires but i love the way these trucks look with 24s on them.
here is a pic of the truck with the bags aired up with the extra 5 psi sorry about the bush in the way
20140531_163804.jpg

OP
OP
B

bjohn118

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
i cant wait to see the outcome. i am sure with a little fab you can make something work upfront.
yea i cant wait either i think im just gonna go ahead and order the springs monday and possibly shocks for the rear if i decide what i wanna do lol who needs to eat anyway right?

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Don't worry about the bush, a little bush is ok, but that one definitely needs some trimming.

The air ride shocks are still cheaper than the QA1s which are $220ea before shipping so I'd go that route if I was you. The 305s should fit with little to no rubbing, but it is a wide tire and on a 9.5" wheel you MAY have trouble with the inner fender skin but I can't say for sure.

BrBlack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you want to bring it down further then you have 2 options: getting another inch is easy by using the 2wd spindles and this won't/shouldn't cause any CV joint issues,

I had no idea this was an option to help bring the 4x4 front end down!
Whats all involved in swaping out the spindles? Are there bearings to be pressed in?
Currently running the GF 2/3 but the extra 1" up front i think would give me a nice sporty rake.

Thanks for the info.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Bearings are bolt-in, but can be a bit of a ***** to get off the oem spindles because the oem spindles are aluminum and the hub is steel. To replace the spindle, it's removing the hub nut, popping the upper ball joints, pulling CVs (or you can leave them in place), sway bar links, and steering tie rod; swap hub to new spindle and assembly is the reverse. Get it aligned afterwards and explain to the tech to just get the caster as close as possible, and you're done. Whole thing can be done with hand tools, but it's easier in some cases with an impact for things like the hub nut.

BrBlack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bearings are bolt-in, but can be a bit of a ***** to get off the oem spindles because the oem spindles are aluminum and the hub is steel. To replace the spindle, it's removing the hub nut, popping the upper ball joints, pulling CVs (or you can leave them in place), sway bar links, and steering tie rod; swap hub to new spindle and assembly is the reverse. Get it aligned afterwards and explain to the tech to just get the caster as close as possible, and you're done. Whole thing can be done with hand tools, but it's easier in some cases with an impact for things like the hub nut.

Thanks! That doesnt sound bad at all. guess i just have to source a set of spindles! My only worry was the bearings but seeing they are bolt in, great!

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Thanks! That doesnt sound bad at all. guess i just have to source a set of spindles! My only worry was the bearings but seeing they are bolt in, great!

It's a PITA to find 2wd parts around here from the yards, everybody owns a 4wd it seems. You're looking for part #s 68044701AC and 68044700AC. I can get them out of the states for $250ea from my online dealer or get a set of McG's for $4-450.

BrBlack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's a PITA to find 2wd parts around here from the yards, everybody owns a 4wd it seems. You're looking for part #s 68044701AC and 68044700AC. I can get them out of the states for $250ea from my online dealer or get a set of McG's for $4-450.

Dam! looks like to get the extra inch im in for another $500. too bad! I'll have to look around. Thanks for the help man!
Was in the auto body industry for alot of years and am hoping some of my old contacts can help with this.

OP
OP
B

bjohn118

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
was working on how i was going to mount everything like the nitrous bottle, air tank, compressor, valve body, and extra batteries and i set the light down when i went to go get a drink and i saw this when i came back in. talk about a picture perfect oppotunity. the picture doesnt show it as well because of the camera flash but the light had the nitrous bottle lit up perfectly
20140602_022141.jpg

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
So you've done the spider-truck mod? I'm impressed, lol.