Starter Kill Switch ... Security... Any Problem with this set up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
I had a 1967 Chevelle Malibu that I put a simple toggle switch cut off to the starter.

Here's how I did it:

Wire from positive of starter to toggle switch, ground from toggle switch to chassis. If you turned the key nothing would happen but everything would light up.

I haven't seen this anywhere on the internet. Why?

Does anyone know if this would be harmful in any way to a modern truck like the 2500?

Any electricians out there who can give me some advise?

Last edited:

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why would you want to do this? Modern vehicles have a computer chip in the fob... if the vehicle doesn't get a signal from that chip it won't start.

CanadianNick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Why would you want to do this? Modern vehicles have a computer chip in the fob... if the vehicle doesn't get a signal from that chip it won't start.
Isn’t that only for Push start though ?

yortnodnarb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In my opinion that's what insurance is for, if they want it that bad they can have it.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Isn’t that only for Push start though ?

Nope. My '12 has the fob with the little nubs that still has to be stuck in an old-fashioned switch on the dash. It's not cut like a key, but I can't just stick anything that shape in there and get the truck to run.

OP
OP
D

dexter

Banned
Reaction score

I full time in a RV so, my truck is everything. I am thinking a second system would be a good idea. The starter cut off I used in the past was a very simple and effective tool.

Maybe I'm wrong and old for thinking the way I do. But are the computer chip set ups as I have in the 2016 foolproof? Thieves can not get around them?
I'm asking because I don't know.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I full time in a RV so, my truck is everything. I am thinking a second system would be a good idea. The starter cut off I used in the past was a very simple and effective tool.

Maybe I'm wrong and old for thinking the way I do. But are the computer chip set ups as I have in the 2016 foolproof? Thieves can not get around them?
I'm asking because I don't know.

You are going to need a dealer programmed key or a laptop in order to steal a modern vehicle. It's not the 60's anymore.

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
Nope. My '12 has the fob with the little nubs that still has to be stuck in an old-fashioned switch on the dash. It's not cut like a key, but I can't just stick anything that shape in there and get the truck to run.

Hmm...Your 2012 truck has a gen 1, 2 or 3 WIN module that the key fob inserts into. It is computer-coded against your VIN and the fobs are programmed to it. You need only to have the programmed fob in close proximity to the Wireless Integrated Node module, and then even a screwdriver or a popsicle stick can turn the car over. This is why any Ram fob from years 2009-2012 will fit, but only yours will start your rig.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hmm...Your 2012 truck has a gen 1, 2 or 3 WIN module that the key fob inserts into. It is computer-coded against your VIN and the fobs are programmed to it. You need only to have the programmed fob in close proximity to the Wireless Integrated Node module, and then even a screwdriver or a popsicle stick can turn the car over. This is why any Ram fob from years 2009-2012 will fit, but only yours will start your rig.

Right. And without that specially programmed fob nothing happens.

So, where the OP is concerned a thief is either going to need his specific fob or a generic one and a laptop that can program it to his VIN on the spot in order to steal the vehicle. Not saying that it can't happen, I've seen news reports of it happening to some Jeeps, but that's going to have to be one highly determined thief with a lot of equipment.

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
Right. And without that specially programmed fob nothing happens.

So, where the OP is concerned a thief is either going to need his specific fob or a generic one and a laptop that can program it to his VIN on the spot in order to steal the vehicle. Not saying that it can't happen, I've seen news reports of it happening to some Jeeps, but that's going to have to be one highly determined thief with a lot of equipment.
I do like the idea of a fuel filter kill switch. Crank but no fire.

OP
OP
D

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
I do like the idea of a fuel filter kill switch. Crank but no fire.

I never liked that idea ... there are other simpler ones.

Here's another one ... I'm just copying and pasting ... I don't know if it works.

--------------------------------
I don't know if the connection still exists in the dash harness of newer Dodge trucks , but before I retired in 07, there was a clutch switch wiring connector under the dash ; even on trucks with automatics. Clutch had to be depressed to start.
The connector on the automatic , had a plug in wire loop, about 1 1/2" total length , that could be cut and wired to a switch as you describe.
The wiring was a ground , interrupt, for the starter relay , and being a ground , didn't require huge wiring or a heavy duty switch .
If memory serves the connector was green , wiring yellow with a red stripe , right next to the firewall closure plug that blocked off the clutch rod hole.