starter problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alex2929

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2005 dodge ram 2500 with some starter problems. I bought the truck used from the dealer in June had it for 2 weeks then the starter started sticking I would just crawl under and tap it with a hammer for awhile till it started to do it every day so I had it replaced under warranty in July. Now with this new starter since September it has been sticking once every 2-3 weeks and not sure why any help would be great!

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I have a 2005 dodge ram 2500 with some starter problems. I bought the truck used from the dealer in June had it for 2 weeks then the starter started sticking I would just crawl under and tap it with a hammer for awhile till it started to do it every day so I had it replaced under warranty in July. Now with this new starter since September it has been sticking once every 2-3 weeks and not sure why any help would be great!

:waytogo::welcome::pepper: The starter clearance may be to tight and may need to have a shim installed.

OP
OP
A

alex2929

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for responding back so fast guys. Do dealers even put OEM parts back in anymore? I'd rather not deal with rebuilt parts.

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Sometimes it is not the decision of the dealer but the 3rd party honoring the waranty.

If the warranty is honored by the manufacturer, then yes they will put in new OEM parts, and some cases OEM refurbished parts.

If the dealer honors his own warranty on a used vehicle, they will install the cheapest part they can get in order to minimise their cost.

So depending on the dealer and who is covering for the warranty, YMMV. Just Saying.