starting my drop project soon.......parts are on order

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It feels VERY sporty, I'm still trying to gather all my data points but I can tell you she is dead solid in corners, I still get some body roll, and by some I mean very little but its there; which from what I understand is desirable to have some on trucks because it helps them corner due to or uneven weight bias and high roll center.....it helps plant the tires for lack of a better term.

I'm very surprised at the stock tires performance but at the same time I can feel the need for more and better rubber. That will happen this friday.

I don't think I will realize the true beauty of this setup until I get a limited slip rear diff......there are enough situations where having more drive would help out quite a bit.

I am literally railing the $hit out of this thing and it takes all of that no problems, I'm snapping the wheel at various speeds to see how she responds. Because I can't relate what I'm feeling in all cases to what's actually happening I'll say that at times it feels like the tires are folding over on themselves due to the high sidewalls............again.......that's what it feels like to me........not sure what's actually happening...........that happens at higher speeds when I instantly change direction or when there are high side loads.

The springs are a little on the soft side but as long as she's a DD that works out just fine I think (for now anyway) and may actually help traction in turns but I still have more to evaluate with all that in the future. I think the new toyo tires will go a long way in helping the overall package.

so that's about it for now, truck feels very precise, ride is firm but not harsh, very enjoyable to drive! Still getting some clunks here and there but I'm not going to fight it, that is the new norm and I can live with it just fine.

one thing that's been a little tough to do is get her out of shape on your typical street right hand turn, I'm literally gunning the motor mid corner so I can learn what to expect when she gets out of shape and I'm having trouble actually getting her out of shape, especially when traction control is on, man that blows! don't forget to turn that $hit off!

Glad to hear that the truck is performing well. When I put the LSD in my truck I noticed a lot of improvements. It actually felt like the handling improved because it was so much better at gripping and accelerating out of the turn.

OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just read through this whole write up. Good job so far! Looking forward to seeing the progression.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks man, I'm having alot of fun! :favorites13: will update as things progress:favorites13:

OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Glad to hear that the truck is performing well. When I put the LSD in my truck I noticed a lot of improvements. It actually felt like the handling improved because it was so much better at gripping and accelerating out of the turn.

That's good to hear and definitely a situation where I could use some added grip!

Ak47bravo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's good to hear and definitely a situation where I could use some added grip!

I agree. Going from a non lsd with my last ram to my current ram with a lsd I can definitely tell a difference when turning and accelerating. And one wheel burn outs are weak sauce....

OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree. Going from a non lsd with my last ram to my current ram with a lsd I can definitely tell a difference when turning and accelerating. And one wheel burn outs are weak sauce....

:happy107::happy107:

OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
tires are installed! woot woot! I'll clean her up in the morning and take some beauty pics, I'm liking the stance!

OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice brother! Looks really good! [emoji1][emoji1303]

thanks man......so far so good, front shocks are flawless, which I'm happy about because I sorta built my own T-bar setup, lol......very smooth to drive but takes the hard hits like a champ. I will say the clunking in the rear suspension is starting to get to me a bit.......especially on bad roads(really kinda horrible).......but I'm not throwing in the towel just yet......As far as looks go I think most people look for less space in wheel gaps than what I have but I've always preferred to have some gap:naughty: if I'm being especially picky I think I'd like another 1/2" lower all the way around.......more to follow.....I have other observations to discuss but still getting my thoughts together.

edit: oh yeah, muuuuuuuuuch better drive out of corners with the new rubber!

Last edited:

DavidN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks sharp!
May I ask what Toyo's you went with and which size they are?

OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks sharp!
May I ask what Toyo's you went with and which size they are?

thanks man

Toyo Proxes STII, 285/50VR20 fronts, 305/50VR20 rears on the stock wheels

DavidN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I like the way, how the sidewalks bulge!
Looks a bit more sporty than the stock wheel sizes.

OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I like the way, how the sidewalks bulge!
Looks a bit more sporty than the stock wheel sizes.

technically the 305/50-20's are supposed to be mounted on a min 8.5" wheel, but they squeeze there ok

OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What did you torque the rear panhard bar, shocks & sway bar to?

shocks, swaybar, and panhard bar by feel......the only thing I torqued were the upper and lower 4 link arms and lug nuts

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got ya. I installed my lowering kit the other day and did the samething. I need to dig on here when I get some time & see what the tq specs are.

OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
anyone know how I can keep my tire pressure warning light from staying on? I want to run 32psi in the rear tires and I'll be damned if my dash doesn't turn into a Christmas tree because of it!!

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This should help...

Attachments

• Torq Ratings For Suspension Components.jpg
    Torq Ratings For Suspension Components.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 56
  • Suspension Torque Specs.jpg
    Suspension Torque Specs.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 133

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Idk how I didn't see this thread sooner... It's good to see another guy working on making the suspension on these trucks all it can be.

Very good apparent build quality on these shocks:

B5F8CA1D-D70B-4D1E-8C81-A7F3C96BD032_zpsofmfgfge.jpg

5627502D-6B70-49A0-A858-04B05349AF31_zpsh2drmnak.jpg

Fronts showed up today:

BE05EFE1-4CDA-429A-9CB2-41626FB4C62E_zpstlyjnyz7.jpg

I may have missed it, but what were the details on these shocks? Like what part numbers?

Bilstein is a great brand of shock if you get the right ones, that's for sure.

3. Driveshaft balancer is hitting the shield on the gas tank. Thinking about removing it and applying it directly to the tank with adhesive to gain clearance.......it's not a critical thing so I have some time to figure this one out.

I had the exact same issue when I recentered my axle. I just bent the shield on the tank as far away as I could and that seemed to fix it.

4. With the rear axle centered in the wheel wells the coil springs are cocked back and not in a perfect up and down orientation. Not much to be done here except possibly sucking the wheelbase back in a bit to minimize this relationship or I'll just be "ok" with it. For now I'm going to be "ok" with it.

That's not an uncommon problem when lowering coil spring trucks. The "real" solution is to move the spring perch, but you may want to double check your pinion angle and make sure the axle isn't sitting at a weird angle.

Well I'm happy with how it all went together, no apparent binding or clearance issues........ please excuse the grade 5 hardware for now as that's all I had on hand in all the different sizes to make the magic happen :grd:

The Hellwig adjustable rear end links supplied with the bar worked perfectly; so no need to buy different hardware there.

I need to go drive this thing!

FullSizeRender202_zpsqik3dyp4.jpg

I have Hellwig sway bars on my 2007 Z06 and my truck and love them, especially for the price. Fitment leaves some to be desired on the Vette, but oh well.

I'd be a little worried about those brackets... It's hard to say from the limited view I have of them, but offsetting them unsupported on aluminum may be problematic later on. Not trying to bash your idea or anything, just voicing concerns.

Bilsteins are designed to be installed label up. If you look at my pic of them mounted up front and the comparison pic vs the stock shock you'll notice a few things #1 the main body of the Bilstein shock is chassis mounted vs lower A-arm mounted on the stock shock...........why does this matter........well in the grand scheme of performance suspension mounting the main body of the shock to the chassis vs A-arm lowers unsprung weight, which in turn increases performance! I didn't even realize this was the case until I installed the shocks.

guess what else I learned? I mounted my rear shocks upside down! lmao........I **** you not........right now they are mounted with the Bilstein labels upside down with the main body of the shock mounted to rear end..............luckily I'm swapping out the stock shock bushings with urethane so I will fix this ASAP.

What's so damn cool about all this is that I didn't even realize what I was doing with regards to minimizing unsprung weight using these 5125 shocks. Now, in addition to some badass digressive valving I have effectively lowered unsprung weight both front and rear :favorites13:

Yeeeeeeeep. Inverted shocks are a big deal in the motorsports world, along with other features.

It has quite a few advantages, the first of which is less unsprung weight.

Another one is fitment. Generally the body of the shock will be the smaller part of the shock because of dust covers on the shaft. That means the smaller end is up high which is usually where you have clearance issues with the wheel or control arms. Furthermore, on a coilover, it puts the coil down low, which minimizes clearance issues since the coil is larger than the shock body.

Last one is adjuster location. On a conventionally mounted shock, the adjuster for the shock is normally on the top, which is usually pretty hard to get to. On an inverted shock it's on the bottom and MUCH easier to reach into and adjust.

Here's what I have. PFADT featherlight coilovers. Great product, especially for the money.
Capture_zpsssrpm2fn.jpg

Here's the C7R. Pretty sweet setup.
269-corvette-c7r-aero-changes-2016-rolex-daytona-24_zps94w9wauo.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Idk how I didn't see this thread sooner... It's good to see another guy working on making the suspension on these trucks all it can be.

I may have missed it, but what were the details on these shocks? Like what part numbers?

Bilstein is a great brand of shock if you get the right ones, that's for sure.

I had the exact same issue when I recentered my axle. I just bent the shield on the tank as far away as I could and that seemed to fix it.

That's not an uncommon problem when lowering coil spring trucks. The "real" solution is to move the spring perch, but you may want to double check your pinion angle and make sure the axle isn't sitting at a weird angle.

I have Hellwig sway bars on my 2007 Z06 and my truck and love them, especially for the price. Fitment leaves some to be desired on the Vette, but oh well.

I'd be a little worried about those brackets... It's hard to say from the limited view I have of them, but offsetting them unsupported on aluminum may be problematic later on. Not trying to bash your idea or anything, just voicing concerns.

Yeeeeeeeep. Inverted shocks are a big deal in the motorsports world, along with other features.

It has quite a few advantages, the first of which is less unsprung weight.

Another one is fitment. Generally the body of the shock will be the smaller part of the shock because of dust covers on the shaft. That means the smaller end is up high which is usually where you have clearance issues with the wheel or control arms. Furthermore, on a coilover, it puts the coil down low, which minimizes clearance issues since the coil is larger than the shock body.

Last one is adjuster location. On a conventionally mounted shock, the adjuster for the shock is normally on the top, which is usually pretty hard to get to. On an inverted shock it's on the bottom and MUCH easier to reach into and adjust.

Here's what I have. PFADT featherlight coilovers. Great product, especially for the money.
Capture_zpsssrpm2fn.jpg

Here's the C7R. Pretty sweet setup.
269-corvette-c7r-aero-changes-2016-rolex-daytona-24_zps94w9wauo.jpg

cool $hit man! Yes the adapter plates may not work out long term in terms of durability............and I don't take your comments as bashing at all brother...........cool thing is they are simple and easy to replicate in other materials.

with that said they are 6061 T6511 so no hardening was performed to achieve a T6........ which is an option or even using steel. I bought four pieces and am going to work on a revision (mostly for looks)

so far so good though, they are holding up nicely.

I posted the part #'s for the front shocks earlier in the thread, let me know if you can't find them, I'll repost!

Last edited: