starting my drop project soon.......parts are on order

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Stereo build?!?!?!? :naughty:

Now you REALLY have my attention! Lol :favorites13:

Dude, I've had the gear sitting in a closet for almost two years now! I only have one more week off work, time to get busy!

OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Comparison shot before drivers side install

Attachments

• IMG_0108.jpg
    IMG_0108.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 75
OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bottom mount turned out pretty decent IMHO

Attachments

• IMG_0109.jpg
    IMG_0109.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There she is..... lol....I had to break out my old strap wrench to hold the shock body while I tightened the strut mount nut!

Attachments

• IMG_0111.jpg
    IMG_0111.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 79
OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ok, front shocks are done, and just like when I installed the rear 5125's the front feels like it sits a bit higher, will measure to confirm later.

so I learned something today that's pretty darn cool.

Bilsteins are designed to be installed label up. If you look at my pic of them mounted up front and the comparison pic vs the stock shock you'll notice a few things #1 the main body of the Bilstein shock is chassis mounted vs lower A-arm mounted on the stock shock...........why does this matter........well in the grand scheme of performance suspension mounting the main body of the shock to the chassis vs A-arm lowers unsprung weight, which in turn increases performance! I didn't even realize this was the case until I installed the shocks.

guess what else I learned? I mounted my rear shocks upside down! lmao........I **** you not........right now they are mounted with the Bilstein labels upside down with the main body of the shock mounted to rear end..............luckily I'm swapping out the stock shock bushings with urethane so I will fix this ASAP.

What's so damn cool about all this is that I didn't even realize what I was doing with regards to minimizing unsprung weight using these 5125 shocks. Now, in addition to some badass digressive valving I have effectively lowered unsprung weight both front and rear :favorites13:

story time over, going out to fix the rear shocks now!:buffer::buffer::buffer:

OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Done son!!! No time to test drive...... mando family time is in effect!! This is how the rear shocks should have been mounted the first time!

Attachments

• IMG_0112.jpg
    IMG_0112.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 89

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
thanks man! I am seriously chompin at the bit to go for a test drive......but will have to wait until the morning.:puke:
Only thing I have left to do.......is get these TOYO tires mounted up!
And get real springs! [emoji1]

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
lol, my old ass is done crawling under the truck for a while :beatdeadhorse5:
Haha I understand. My only concern is those Belltechs may be too soft for your autocross goal.

OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Haha I understand. My only concern is those Belltechs may be too soft for your autocross goal.

no doubt brother. One of my forum buddies was running 1000lb springs in the front of his truck (Chevy, but similar platform/weight) and was wanting 1100lb springs so I'm probably going there..............however..............after pricing wheels/tires to autocross with I'm going to have to set up an offshore banking account just to fund that stuff:banghead::banghead::banghead:

may be a little while now:puke:

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
no doubt brother. One of my forum buddies was running 1000lb springs in the front of his truck (Chevy, but similar platform/weight) and was wanting 1100lb springs so I'm probably going there..............however..............after pricing wheels/tires to autocross with I'm going to have to set up an offshore banking account just to fund that stuff:banghead::banghead::banghead:

may be a little while now:puke:
I hear that! Haha. Still would be fun to autocross a truck.

OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
just took another set of measurements to the center wheel openings. front is sitting right at 34.5" +/- 1/8", rear is sitting at 35.5" =/- 1/8"........this is pre Toyo tires installation. will post final pics and driving impressions soon! based on my initial measurements the front is a full 2" lower, the rear is 3.75" lower...................all good in my book!

front bilstein shocks kick ass!

Last edited:

Ak47bravo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
just took another set of measurements to the center wheel openings. front is sitting right at 24.5" +/- 1/8", rear is sitting at 25.5" =/- 1/8"........this is pre Toyo tires installation. will post final pics and driving impressions soon! based on my initial measurements the front is a full 2" lower, the rear is 3.75" lower...................all good in my book!

front bilstein shocks kick ass!

Maybe I will pick up those Bilsteins eventually. Thank god replacing the front shocks is a piece of cake... otherwise I doubt I would do it (considering all the crap I have dealt with lately regarding the suspension).

Front end is feeling pretty good huh? How do you compare it to stock in terms of performance while in turns?

OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maybe I will pick up those Bilsteins eventually. Thank god replacing the front shocks is a piece of cake... otherwise I doubt I would do it (considering all the crap I have dealt with lately regarding the suspension).

Front end is feeling pretty good huh? How do you compare it to stock in terms of performance while in turns?

It feels VERY sporty, I'm still trying to gather all my data points but I can tell you she is dead solid in corners, I still get some body roll, and by some I mean very little but its there; which from what I understand is desirable to have some on trucks because it helps them corner due to or uneven weight bias and high roll center.....it helps plant the tires for lack of a better term.

I'm very surprised at the stock tires performance but at the same time I can feel the need for more and better rubber. That will happen this friday.

I don't think I will realize the true beauty of this setup until I get a limited slip rear diff......there are enough situations where having more drive would help out quite a bit.

I am literally railing the $hit out of this thing and it takes all of that no problems, I'm snapping the wheel at various speeds to see how she responds. Because I can't relate what I'm feeling in all cases to what's actually happening I'll say that at times it feels like the tires are folding over on themselves due to the high sidewalls............again.......that's what it feels like to me........not sure what's actually happening...........that happens at higher speeds when I instantly change direction or when there are high side loads.

The springs are a little on the soft side but as long as she's a DD that works out just fine I think (for now anyway) and may actually help traction in turns but I still have more to evaluate with all that in the future. I think the new toyo tires will go a long way in helping the overall package.

so that's about it for now, truck feels very precise, ride is firm but not harsh, very enjoyable to drive! Still getting some clunks here and there but I'm not going to fight it, that is the new norm and I can live with it just fine.

one thing that's been a little tough to do is get her out of shape on your typical street right hand turn, I'm literally gunning the motor mid corner so I can learn what to expect when she gets out of shape and I'm having trouble actually getting her out of shape, especially when traction control is on, man that blows! don't forget to turn that $hit off!

Last edited:

petesnchz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RAM EXPRESS SINGLE CAB
Engine
Just read through this whole write up. Good job so far! Looking forward to seeing the progression.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk