Steering has 1 to 2 inch play around corners

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Markmaj1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Deisel 6.7
I have about a 2 inch play when taking corners on the highway. It feels like I lose the tight responsive steering I normally have when coming into corner on highway. If corner says 45 mph I take the corner at that normal speed. I can move the steering wheel up to 2 inches, left or right with no response. I completed a alignment and it still has the play in corners. The recall weld on the lock nuts was completed by previous owner. I am a happy 2nd owner of a 2016, 3500 6.7 Laramie, 115k miles. I am not mechanical and hoping to lean on you all fore many years Ram ownership.

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That issue would certainly not come from bad alignment. Certainly a potentially dangerous situation. Could be tie rods, steering link, rack and pinion or other faulty steering components.
Not trying to scare you but
My advice is to get it to a dealer or front end shop ASAP before something disconnects and you lose all of your steering.

OP
OP
M

Markmaj1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Deisel 6.7
Thank you. I took it to a alignment center. I told him about it and he said everything looked good underneath on my front end. Is it weird that the play is only noticeable at high speeds (on highway)?

OP
OP
M

Markmaj1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Deisel 6.7
I also called dealership and set up an appointment.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Is this truck the first time driving a vehicle with a solid front axle that is considerably nose heavy? Are the tires factory size and at the correct air pressure?

OP
OP
M

Markmaj1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Deisel 6.7
Yes it is first time driving a solid front axle. I have Michelin LT 285 60 20. I am running 70lbs of air plus or minus a few pounds on all four tires.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Yes it is first time driving a solid front axle.
Steering will feel more vauge compared to an independent front suspension and with the CTD there close to an extra 1K lbs over the front axle(compared to the gasser). If there's no play in the steering at low speeds and it tracks down the road straight, I doubt there's anything wrong. Only pulling or drifting of the steering may happen more on roads that are crowned or uneven.
Keep in mind your driving a vehicle that weighs over 8K lbs and is designed to haul weight, not to go around corners at high speed. To put it in comparison a 1500 CrewCab w/6.4' bed 4X4 weighs about 2K lbs less.

gdjackson2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
I had this problem with my 15 3500 I took it to a front end shop and they had to adjust the steering gear box. There is a adjuster on the gearbox.

OP
OP
M

Markmaj1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Deisel 6.7
I took it to front end shop last Thursday. this time they heard my concern about front end play going around corners. They said it needed a new steering box box. They have evidently changed out over 700 in this shop. went with a Redhead Steering Box. Total cast installed with alignment included was $1150. Steers and feels amazing.