Steering Play...floatey, loose, and wandery on 1500 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Best way to describe it is to see the video. I can move the steering wheel probably 3-inches before the truck moves.

Anyone else have a similar situation and fix?

Have a new set of hub bearings sitting on the shelf, and upper control arms to install (occasional 'pop' in the suspension when turning left).

My question is...should I just replace the steering rack while I'm at it?

90k on the truck, good alignment. The 'wheels up' and 'yank' test at 9 & 3 o'clock as well as 6 & 12 o'clock don't show any play.

https://youtu.be/d8XAlNrBMBI

Last edited:

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Depending on the year of your truck, the steering box has a nut and screw on the top of it that you can adjust to tighten up play in your steering wheel. My 96 Ram has that and we just tightened the steering a couple of days ago. Got rid of about an inch and a half of free play with 3/8th turn on the Allen head screw, then tightened the lock nut back down.

OP
OP
E

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Depending on the year of your truck, the steering box has a nut and screw on the top of it that you can adjust to tighten up play in your steering wheel. My 96 Ram has that and we just tightened the steering a couple of days ago. Got rid of about an inch and a half of free play with 3/8th turn on the Allen head screw, then tightened the lock nut back down.
Wish that was the case! Mine has the standard rack and pinion, the HD ones (to my understanding), as well as the '03 and older, have the steering box like you describe.

OP
OP
E

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, if anyone was curious...

Replaced the front wheel bearing & hubs. Was not really hearing anything, but occasionally got the 'whump whump whump' at very very low sound levels. Had to listen very closely to hear it...almost to the point of convincing myself I was hearing something vs. something actually making noise! Turns out the passenger side was a bit gritty; couldn't feel it by hand with the wheel, but when turning the bearing when removed by hand unveiled the grittiness.

Also replaced both upper control arms.

Turn drives much better now, much of (if not all of) the play is seemingly gone. Will update after a few hundred miles.