Steering stabilizers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alex_Michel00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hey guys,
I have a 14 ram 1500 on a 12in lift and im running 22x14 -81 wrapped in 40x15.5 and i get bump steer and was looking for some steering stabilizers and couldn't find any. Does anyone know a brand that makes them or if another model/ universal kit fits?
Thank you in advance!

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
40 inchers on an IFS ...that's doing pretty well. :) Larger tires work better on solid axle trucks b/c the basic steering geometry doesn't change as the truck/axle experiences bumps or dips in the road. Usually you associate SS's for a drag link on a solid axle setup. IDT it would solve the inherent IFS issues of changing steering geometry though it's range.

As A-arms travel through their range on an IFS setup, they swing in a much shorter arc (because the a-arms are are a lot shorter) and also, the knuckles move in/out through the a-arm swing range. To make things even worse, the toe-in changes some over bumps and even when ya hit the brakes and the nose dips. That causes bump steer. That is why a lot of 4x4 trucks hung onto solid front axles and resisted IFS setups. It was SO controversial when Toyota introduced them on their 1986 4x4 pickup. And even to this day they still put solid front axles on pickups in certain world markets. Ford went with the Twin Traction Beam TTB early on to get the benefits of an IFS, but with much longer arm members to try to preserve steering geometry (they still chewed up tires though). When GM came out with the 1988 4x4 IFS pickups, it was also much discussed and questioned in the 4x4 world. If you ever watched a GM 4x4 IFS truck with bad shocks bounce over road bumps the front wheels are all over the place! But they work ok on most smooth surfaces with stock tires. But they get wonky too with large tires.

Larger tires exaggerate the problems with IFS.

So back to your original question, I did a search and didn't come up with anything for an IFS Ram. I haven't personally seen any set up. Hopefully others will chime in. Even the TRX which uses 35" tires doesn't use steering stabilizers. But if there's enough room I'm sure something could be fab'd up, but not sure what good it would do. Obviously, first make sure wheel bearings and the rest of the steering/suspension is still tight. Big tires put a lot of strain on a stock system. Even a small amount of looseness would be exaggerated with 40's. The "ideal" might be to eventually migrate to a solid axle setup with like a Dana 60 or something like that. But i get it, easier said than done.. Gotta run whatcha brung

Last edited: