Stellantis’ new Ram pickup is an EV — with a gas-powered generator in case the battery runs out. The end of the Hemi???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1700236561009.png
2025 Ram 1500 Ramcharger Tungsten
  • Stellantis plans to produce an industry-first pickup for its Ram Trucks brand that’s equipped with an onboard gas engine and electric generator.
  • The truck can operate as a zero-emissions EV until the vehicle’s battery dies and an electric onboard generator — powered by a 3.6-liter V6 engine — kicks on to power the vehicle after its initial charge.
  • Ram CEO Tim Kuniskis characterized the new Ram 1500 Ramcharger pickup as the “ultimate answer for battery-electric trucks.”

DETROIT — Automaker Stellantis plans to produce an industry-first electric pickup truck called the Ram 1500 Ramcharger that’s equipped with an electric generator and a gas engine.
If that sounds like an oxymoron, here’s how it works: The truck can operate as a zero-emissions EV until its battery dies and an electric onboard generator — powered by a 27-gallon, 3.6-liter V6 engine — kicks on to power the vehicle.

The outcome is a truck with the benefits of an EV, such as fast acceleration and some zero-emissions driving, without the range anxiety synonymous with most current electric vehicles, according to Ram CEO Tim Kuniskis.
“This is the ultimate answer for the battery-electric truck. No one else has got anything else like it,” Kuniskis told reporters during an event. “This is going to be a game changer for battery-electric trucks.”
The 2025 Ram 1500 Ramcharger is expected to go on sale in late 2024 alongside a previously revealed all-electric Ram 1500 truck without a gas-powered engine or range-extending electric generator.
Stellantis estimates the range of the Ramcharger to be up to 690 miles, including up to 145 miles powered by a 92 kilowatt-hour battery when fully charged without the extended-range power from the gas engine and 130 kilowatt electric generator.
That range compares with up to an expected 500-mile range of the all-electric Ram 1500 REV pickup. It also tops the current Ram 1500, which has a 3.6-liter V-6 engine and an up to 26-gallon tank with a total range of up to 546 miles, according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

Stellantis did not announce pricing of the Ramcharger, which was revealed Tuesday as part of a redesign of current gasoline-powered Ram 1500 pickups for the 2025 model year.

‘Not a PHEV’​

Kuniskis said the Ramcharger is meant as a bridge between traditional trucks with internal combustion engines and all-electric ones, which currently face significant hurdles regarding charging infrastructure and range anxiety, especially when the vehicles are towing — a main reason to purchase a truck.
Such improvements could be a differentiator for the brand, according to Stephanie Brinley, associate director of AutoIntelligence for S&P Global Mobility.
“It works to address the fact that right now the industry and the pickup truck segment in particular is not ready to just flip to EVs 100%,” she said. “It addresses some of those performance and range anxiety concerns, and it’s strong.— But the difficult part is going to be getting consumers to really understand what it does.”

1700236863330.png
2025 Ram 1500 Ramcharger Tungsten

Similar propulsion technology — referred to as extended-range electric vehicles, or EREVs — is available in overseas markets, specifically China. It’s also similarly been offered in vehicles such as the discontinued Chevrolet Volt sedan from General Motors.

Stellantis engineers said the main difference between the technology of the Ramcharger and the Volt is that the truck is being exclusively propelled by electric motors, not the vehicle’s engine, once the battery dies. It’s also expected to be the first application of it in a production full-size pickup truck.

The Ramcharger features 663 horsepower and 615 foot-pounds of torque and can achieve 0 to 60 miles per hour in 4.4 seconds, Stellantis said. The truck will be capable of bidirectional charging, where the vehicle acts as a generator to power appliances or even an entire home, the company said.

Kuniskis, who also leads Stellantis’ Dodge brand, declined to comment on whether the technology of the Ramcharger will be used in other vehicles. Other Stellantis brands include Chrysler, Jeep and Fiat in the U.S.

The Ramcharger operates differently from current plug-in hybrid electric vehicles, or PHEVs, that offer a range of all-electric driving, followed by an engine powering the vehicle after the battery is depleted.

“The Ramcharger is not a PHEV,” Kuniskis said. “It’s a battery-electric truck with its own onboard, high-speed charger.”

“There’s no connection between the engine and the wheels,” he said. “The gas generator is only there to charge the battery.”

Ram’s truck strategy is different from its leading competitors GM and Ford Motor. The latter is offering traditional, hybrid and all-electric versions of its F-150 full-size truck, while GM has said it plans to transition from traditional trucks to electric ones without the use of hybrids.

Stellantis currently offers PHEV versions of vehicles such as the Chrysler Pacifica minivan and Jeep Wrangler and Grand Cherokee SUVs.

1700236998246.png
Ram’s 2023 Super Bowl ad debuts the production version of the Ram 1500 REV electric pickup that is expected to go on sale in late 2024.

Bye-bye Hemi​

The design of the Ramcharger is a mix between the all-electric Ram 1500 REV and the refreshed gas versions of the traditional trucks, which will be available early next year.
The Ramcharger includes illuminated lines across its grille from the headlamps, new badging that debuted on the all-electric truck and other design and facia elements between the two.
For the traditional Ram 1500 models, the biggest change is the company is dropping its well-known Hemi V-8. Replacing the current 5.7-liter Hemi engine offered in the truck will be a twin-turbocharged, inline-six-cylinder engine called the Hurricane.

“Some customers are going to be upset that you’re not going to have a Hemi in there,” Kuniskis said. “Sure, the Hemi’s an absolute legend. Americans love the Hemi, but this thing flat out outperforms the Hemi.”

The 3.0-liter Hurricane engine is rated at 420 horsepower and 469 foot-pounds of torque, while a high-output version of the engine is rated at 540 horsepower and 521 foot-pounds of torque. That compares with the current V-8 Hemi at 395 horsepower and 410 foot-pounds of torque.

Inline-, or straight-, six-cylinder engines have been used in U.S. vehicles by automakers such as BMW and Jaguar, however, they’re far from mainstream in the U.S.

Other changes to the trucks include a new luxury model called Tungsten and a performance variant called RHO replacing Ram’s high-output TRX pickup that is equipped with a Hemi 6.2-liter V-8 capable of 702 horsepower and 650 foot-pounds of torque.

Article courtesy of Michael Wayland with CNBC.com

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Best idea on the market. It's how hybrids should be designed and working. Only thing that surprises me is that the range isn't a longer range.
I think a small turbo diesel (or smaller turbo gas engine) running the generator would have been a smarter move and have it set to run at one rpm and start/stop to charge the battery as needed - you could design a really efficient engine to run at one set rpm.
Start the engine, charge at say 100kw to power the truck and replenish the battery, shut off - rinse repeat.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
So it's got a conventional 3.6L engine and 27 gallon tank?

Runs on electric til the battery dies, then the engine takes over to power the electric?

So, the weight of a conventional truck PLUS an EV battery? Sounds like it will have incredible towing range.....

Just a bit confused.

Bet it will be affordable, too.

Hard pass.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Best idea on the market. It's how hybrids should be designed and working. Only thing that surprises me is that the range isn't a longer range.
I think a small turbo diesel (or smaller turbo gas engine) running the generator would have been a smarter move and have it set to run at one rpm and start/stop to charge the battery as needed - you could design a really efficient engine to run at one set rpm.
Start the engine, charge at say 100kw to power the truck and replenish the battery, shut off - rinse repeat.

Well a diesel would be a bad idea because now you're adding turbo as well as all the emissions and def stuff that absolutely no one wants to deal with. Then you factor in the "green" image that this truck is going for and you basically turn away 3/4 of the intended customer because like it or not, diesel looks dirty to most people.

So same with a turbo gas, no need for it since it just adds complexity.

The 3.6 is a pretty great engine, biggest flaw seems to be the oil filter mount which is plastic. Since it can do the job and it's already something that FCA has on their counter, that makes the most sense rather than trying to develop a new engine.

You're probably right in that an engine can be designed here to work most efficiently at a certain RPM, but there is also the NVH factor, sitting at a stoplight or idling through the city at 20 mph, no one wants to hear this thing singing at 4000 RPMs, or even 2500. Pretty sure they've rev matched this thing, the harder you drive the more the generator turns (within reason).

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well a diesel would be a bad idea because now you're adding turbo as well as all the emissions and def stuff that absolutely no one wants to deal with. Then you factor in the "green" image that this truck is going for and you basically turn away 3/4 of the intended customer because like it or not, diesel looks dirty to most people.

So same with a turbo gas, no need for it since it just adds complexity.

The 3.6 is a pretty great engine, biggest flaw seems to be the oil filter mount which is plastic. Since it can do the job and it's already something that FCA has on their counter, that makes the most sense rather than trying to develop a new engine.

You're probably right in that an engine can be designed here to work most efficiently at a certain RPM, but there is also the NVH factor, sitting at a stoplight or idling through the city at 20 mph, no one wants to hear this thing singing at 4000 RPMs, or even 2500. Pretty sure they've rev matched this thing, the harder you drive the more the generator turns (within reason).
Oh I agree, only problem with 3.6 is the lack of low rpm power, where as the other 2 options could do low rpm.

I suspect you may be correct with rev matching and a stock 3.6 - due to the claimed range with a 27 gal. fuel tank.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Let's just say if they build that thing like theyve built the hemi engine for the last 10+ years and the spontaneously combusting Eco diesel these trucks will go into Thermal run away in under less than 10k miles and you'll be running for the old internal combustion trucks lol.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The theory of the design is good - hard to say if the execution will be good.

It's a EV, but instead of plugging into a charger to recharge, the truck has an onboard charger - not a big deal as far as technology. (Though I would assume, you would be able to plug into a charger if desired)

It could be done one of 2 ways, engine/gen runs and puts out a high charge rate to replenish the battery and shut off, or eng./gen runs at a rate to put out just above the required load needed when driving. Normal cruising doesn't take much power.

The gen. can put out more than enough power for all conditions - including towing.

It's a simple system, smallish battery, decent size drive motor/s, gas engine coupled to a generator - no transmission, no diffs.

It's basically a train locomotive setup with the addition of a smallish battery to allow all electric power for short range operation. (92KW battery isn't very big in today's world and using a gas engine vs. diesel)

145 mile range will cover most peoples everyday range on just battery alone. Going for a longer trip, no big deal, the onboard high speed charger has you covered - fill with gas and go, just like today.

Last edited:

jagman_xjs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 2011 2019 2023
Engine
5.7 Hemi(s)
I have built and driven highway capable ev trucks for years. BUT I do love my hemi RAM MUCH more because I have NOT left it stock. I also sell electric mini trucks for off roading and other applications. Look up Mini Trucks of Indiana. I am looking forward to this new "RAM" coming out and am on the list to buy one. I hope it is as good as what I have built and REALLY hope it will have a plug in version.

Last edited:

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
If they do this correctly it will be a success. Especially if you can plug it in at home. I have been talking about something like this for over five years. Here is why. When I bought my RAM new in 2017 the Commodore bought a new 2017 Prius Prime. I KNOW, it is not a truck but it is nothing short of amazing in servicing her needs. These are real world facts observed over the almost six years of ownership. For all of her daily driving needs it literally NEVER uses the gas engine. Fuel is added about three times a year ( you read that correctly ) and even then I will not let her fill it because I worry about aging fuel. And, the tank only holds ten gallons. She plugs it into 120V at home in the garage . I didn't even bother to run a 240V circuit which it will do a faster charge on. I understand that it HAS to be using some electricity but damned if we can see any measurable change in our electric bill. When she wants to travel out of State to visit her sister in VT she just takes the car and goes. It seamlessly operate as a hybrid. It regenerates power to the batteries when decelerating or whenever the gas engine runs.
The car has amazing exceleration and torque. You have to be vigilant on your speed as you don't even realize how fast that dynamo is moving. After getting a speeding ticket while driving it I use cruise control in some speed zones to keep myself out of trouble. The CVT is very smooth and operates in a way that conveys no perception of operation to the driver.
The car has been flawless in every aspect of operation. Toyota really does seem to have the EV hybrid thing figured out.
My RAM has the Pentastar V6. It has been a great engine. If a hybrid truck can be built around this engine as a charging source with no Direct injection and no turbo and with the electric side providing the smoothness and torque that we know they are capable of I am on board all the way. I am at an age where I really should not be considering a new truck and it's associated expense but for this one I may just have to overlook that issue.

KLook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Has no one heard of a Chevy Volt? Took one for a test ride.....no thanks. And the payload question, How much can you haul?

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have built and driven highway capable ev trucks for years. BUT I do love my hemi RAM MUCH more because I have NOT left it stock. I also sell electric mini trucks for off roading and other applications. Look up Mini Trucks of Indiana. I am looking forward to this new "RAM" coming out and am on the list to buy one. I hope it is as good as what I have built and REALLY hope it will have a plug in version.
Yes, it will plug in. This will answer a lot of questions...

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Has no one heard of a Chevy Volt? Took one for a test ride.....no thanks. And the payload question, How much can you haul?

Volt is a paralell hybrid; the engine charges, while also directly/physically driving the wheels. This charger is a series hybrid, it only ever generates battery power.

Payload is very high, max being in the 2500 range IIRC? It's no longer a half ton platform, it's a completely new platform that just shares the same sheet metal and exterior. It can handle far more weight, has 8 lug wheels (for example). It's probably closer to a 3/4 ton when using the weights as the classification.

It also has 620ish hp. This thing will out pull any other non-ev half ton, no question. Goes 0 to 60 in 4.5 seconds.

Reuel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You will never get me to buy one. If your reason for buying one is to save the world with less emissions, you are just plain misguided. Do your research with science, NOT advertisements on TV and political fake news.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You will never get me to buy one. If your reason for buying one is to save the world with less emissions, you are just plain misguided. Do your research with science, NOT advertisements on TV and political fake news.
I've posted my reasons for wanting one in other threads discussing the Ramcharger. And they do not include saving the world LOL. Using it as a home generator and the performance numbers are the main reasons for me. Not to mention with the advertised battery range I'd easily get to work and home on one charge, plug it in for the night, rinse and repeat. I would rarely need to visit a gas station. I don't see the downside unless the price puts it out of range for me. Sounds like it will be available in pretty much every trim level so hopefully that won't be too much of an issue. And last but not least, even though it's and EV I wouldn't be tied to charging stations or need to plan trips around them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357