What To Expect From The 2024 Ram Rampage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1698424093765.png

American pickups have been getting bigger. But they’ve also been getting smaller. The midsize segment has seen a huge revival, with the Toyota Tacoma now facing several challengers. Ford and Hyundai have even formed a new compact segment. The holdout, thus far, has been Ram.

Stellantis does have a midsize offering with the Jeep Gladiator. But we’ve seen no revival of the Dakota. And the smallest Ram-branded pickup in the lineup is currently the full-size 1500. However, reports and recent product reveals suggest that could be about to change. Ram launched a new small pickup, the Rampage, in South America. And it may be coming to the USA.

Here’s everything you need to know.

Is the Ram Rampage definitely coming to America?
1698424152814.png
Ram has not confirmed the truck is coming to America yet. But The Drive reports that a well-placed source confirmed the Rampage will come to America with a debut in late 2023. It's possible the UAW strike may cause that timeline to be delayed; Stellantis pulled out of CES and may have put other activities on hold.

Stellantis did confirm plans to launch four electrified pickup trucks in the next two years. Two are confirmed: the Ram 1500 REV and a "new hydrogen solution." That would still leave room for a Jeep Gladiator 4xe and a yet-to-be-named Ram pickup.

The Rampage that debuted will be built in South America. Ram would likely move production for an American version to Mexico to avoid the Chicken Tax. Given the Maverick's popularity, it would be weirder if Ram did not bring the Rampage to market in America.

The Rampage should be a unibody Ford Maverick rival
1698424206144.png
Like the Ford Maverick, the Ram Rampage should have styling cues cribbed from Ram’s body-on-frame truck lineup but have a unibody construction. It’s expected to share the same underlying platform with the Jeep Compass, Alfa Romeo Tonale and Dodge Hornet.
What engines will the Ram Rampage have?

1698424258773.png

The South American Rampage launched with a gas engine, the 2.0-liter Hurricane I4, which puts out 272 horsepower and 295 lb-ft of torque. That’s the same engine the Dodge Hornet uses and a good bet for the American truck.

In South America, the Rampage will also get a diesel option. We would bet the diesel does not make it to the American market. The 1.3-liter plug-in hybrid used in the Dodge Hornet and Alfa Romeo Tonale for an alternate (and more efficient) engine would be far more likely.
What trims will the Ram Rampage have?
1698424300587.png
Ram has not confirmed a trim lineup for the Rampage. The South American lineup has three: an off-road Rebel trim, a flashier Laramie trim and an R/T Sport model. We could see all three trims make it to America.

Will the new small truck be called the Rampage?
1698424381309.png
Quite possibly. That's what is being used in South America. We’ve seen Ram opt for alliterative naming with new trucks like the Ram 1500 REV. And it’s a name with relevant heritage. The Dodge Rampage was a small, unibody pickup from the early 1980s. And Dodge used Rampage again with a concept in 2006. Using Rampage would also leave Dakota as an option should Ram decide to build a smaller body-on-frame truck.
How much will the Ram Rampage cost?
1698424450160.png
Ford took a budget approach with the Maverick. At least in South America, Ram is opting for a different tack with the Rampage by taking it upmarket. All the Rampages are all-wheel-drive. It offers leather seats. A 12.3-inch infotainment display and a digital instrument cluster come standard.

The starting price for a gas Rampage in Brazil is a little more than $50,000. We’d bet Brazilian taxes are responsible for much of that figure; the American truck won’t be that ambitiously priced. But expect it to start north of the Maverick’s $22,595 starting MSRP.

Article courtesy of Tyler Duffy with Gear Patrol

TheWarhammer

Reaction score
Ram Year
It's a cute car, but that's what it is... a CAR. These small truck wannabes are becoming ubiquitous, and they all follow the same formula. Take front wheel drive car platform, add all wheel drive (either standard or as an option, but no real 4-wheel drive), then rebody it to look like a pickup truck. Honda even went so far as to add a body line that makes the bed area look like a separate piece... but it's not.

Honda Ridgeline = Odyssey
Hyundai Santa Cruz** = Sonata
Ford Maverick = Escape
Ram Rampage = Chrysler Sebring (LMAO!)

These are all "trucks" for people who don't like trucks; soccer moms and man-bun types. The buyers are owners of cars and "crossover" SUVs, who think trucks ride too rough, but don't want the stigma of a minivan anymore. Any man who buys one of these, and it isn't for his wife, will deservedly get laughed at.

**The Santa Cruz is arguably the best looking of the bunch. Hyundai is also the only one not pretending this is a pickup truck, marketing it as a "Sport Adventure Vehicle."

marine0311

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Best wishes to those of you who like this. As for me this is a very swift and hard pass!

Jmpt37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
I passed on a gladiator myself going with a 2020 Ram 1500. I like the look of the Gladiator but the price point is out of wack.

M60A3 Driver

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
If it was a V6 I'd consider it. I don't do any heavy hauling except pallets and other light stuff. I park my Warlock in my garage when the weather is crap, but it's a pain in the ass. Every time I have to fold the mirrors, use a pole to prop the door high enough so that I don't rip the shark fin antenna off.
I had a 2004 Dakota with a V8 and I loved it. The only problem was the underside was rusty as hell, so I traded it in.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If it was a V6 I'd consider it. I don't do any heavy hauling except pallets and other light stuff. I park my Warlock in my garage when the weather is crap, but it's a pain in the ass. Every time I have to fold the mirrors, use a pole to prop the door high enough so that I don't rip the shark fin antenna off.
I had a 2004 Dakota with a V8 and I loved it. The only problem was the underside was rusty as hell, so I traded it in.
When we looked at houses my wife went to kitchen and living room, I went with measuring tape to garage. Finally found one that my 2500 CC with 8' bed would fit in. 3 inches to spare front to back and about an inch from top of opening. But fits.

3TV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
That’s nothing compared to what I saw at the dealership, a Ram 3500 Tradesman Long Bed with the 6.4L HEMI and it still costed $76,000, who would pay that much for a base model?
What a difference a month makes. You posted this in November, but by December of the same year Ram had impressive incentives on Ram trucks. Between Christmas and New Years I bought a 2024 Ram 3500 Tradesman Long Bed Dually with the Cummins engine for $62,000

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357