Still confused...help?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rrodgers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Jasper
Hi All,

Maybe you can help me out with my dilemma. I recently put in a 3" Rough Country leveling/lift kit (front coils/rear blocks/4 shocks) in my 2002 2wd 1500. Looks good and rides great, but now I'm trying to decide what new tires to put on the 20" OEM wheels. I've read tons of info from all over the web, and it looks like 35x12.5s (or similar/slightly smaller) should fit okay but every shop I talk to on the phone and around my house doesn't think they will. Granted, they are the typical corporate tire shops and don't even carry anything but OEM sizes normally...but they just are not helpful or experienced enough to help me before I plunk down a large amount to order the tires. Also, why do the vendors of these kits say 33" is max, when that is basically the stock diameter? Doesn't make sense to me?

I'm currently looking at BFG AT/TA/KO 285/65/20, Nitto Trail Grappler 35x12.5x20 or 295/65/20, Nitto Terra Grappler 325/60/20, and Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ P2 35x12.5x20. Prices for all of these seem to be somewhat in the same range overall, so any suggestions would be appreciated, as well as any helpful advice on possible fitment problems. My truck is currently in the body shop getting some fresh skin and I'd like to get the new tires ordered and mounted prior to it being done in the next week and a half, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any help!

LS5DodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
Alright a buddy of mine is running the 3 in rough country suspension lift and I am running the 6 in suspension lift. My tires right now are 33.5x12.5 on a 20 inch rims with a negative offset (rims and tires stick out of the fender, basic description). My buddy is running 35x12.50 on his 3 inch lift with 18 inch wheels and a negative offset. They fit perfectly and tires weren't in my budget at the time of the lift being installed but I will be upgrading to 35x12.5 as well. And they will fit fine with my suspension like his. So this is possible for you to do... but...

The reasoning behind all the shops saying that 35x12.5 will not fit is because it wont. With the stock rims you do not have the back spacing behind the wheel for it to clear the knuckle and control arm. With the negative offsets we have they fit perfectly fine. This is the reason they say yours cannot because the amount the tires will stick over the rim on both sides, it will rub against the knuckle and control arm. For you to fit these tires I suggest getting decent sized wheel spacers or upgrading rims with negative offsets.

Now some rubbing may occur which is why my buddy cur part of the fender well to accommodate the larger tires. The 33.5x12.5 I had on my factory suspension absolutely tore up my fender wells. so when it comes to the fender wells you can simply cut them to fir fine.

hope this helps a bit!

Edit: the rubbing of the fenders and fender wells is probably the reason for them saying to limit the diameter of the tires to 33s for the 3 inch kit

OP
OP
R

rrodgers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Jasper
Thanks for the info...I just now saw it after posting another comment regarding what it looks like as far fender rub. I agree that it looks like I will either have to cut the metal portion of the fender and/or get new wheels to run anything nearing 35s. What kind of negative offset are you running?

SilRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im the buddy lol ^^^
With the 3in RC lift with 35s you will rub no mater what. When i first put the tires on i could not even turn the wheel with out rubbing. You will have to do a good amount of trimming and cutting to be able to drive with them. As for the stock rims you will need a wheel spacer. Dont get me wrong i love them on my truck and they look great but if you do any off road driving they will rub. If you really want to fit 35s your best bet is to get the RC 6in, thats gonna be my next purchase for the truck. Hope this helps

SilRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Forgot to add, if you want to see some pictures of what it looks like check out LS5DodgeRam's albums