Still getting used to my diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Units

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Bighorn
Engine
6.7l Cummins
When I start my truck up, I usually let it run for a minute before I take off, when I drop it in D and go it sounds like I can hear the fan or something like it kick on for about 10-20 seconds while accelerating and then it quiets back down. It usually only does it when I first start it up and take off. After it has run for a while, I shut it down and start it up again and drive, it doesn’t do it. It sounds just like when you hear a big rig take off from a start, you can hear the fan from the motor going. No check engine lights or anything. Who knows, maybe it’s normal. Just curious if that is something that anyone else has noticed with their Cummins?

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Completely normal. Trust me, if there is something wrong with your truck it will throw a code and tell you. Drive and enjoy

OP
OP
Units

Units

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Bighorn
Engine
6.7l Cummins
Completely normal. Trust me, if there is something wrong with your truck it will throw a code and tell you. Drive and enjoy

Don’t have anything to compare it to. Trying not to be paranoid. Came from a 6.4l that was very problematic. Thanks for the input.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I will say depending on the temp, my fan will stay engaged longer than my Gen4 CTD powered truck ever did sometimes. And , yes its loud.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
When I start my truck up, I usually let it run for a minute before I take off, when I drop it in D and go it sounds like I can hear the fan or something like it kick on for about 10-20 seconds while accelerating and then it quiets back down. It usually only does it when I first start it up and take off. After it has run for a while, I shut it down and start it up again and drive, it doesn’t do it. It sounds just like when you hear a big rig take off from a start, you can hear the fan from the motor going. No check engine lights or anything. Who knows, maybe it’s normal. Just curious if that is something that anyone else has noticed with their Cummins?
Oh ya, diesels make a lot of strange sounds when starting up cold, and the colder it is the worse it sounds. The sounds may inspire you to run into the kitchen, grab a baking sheet, and place it under the engine to collect the parts that are sure to fall out.

My Cummins is a MY15 with solid lifters, I think you have hydraulic lifters, be glad for that, less noise. Even my ED sounds like it is self-destructing on a cold day first start.

If you want to hear a really scary diesel start-up in the cold, come on over on a really cold day, when temperatures are around zero, and I will fire up my tractor.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If you want to hear a really scary diesel start-up in the cold, come on over on a really cold day, when temperatures are around zero, and I will fire up my tractor.
that's why you just walk away and let the engine get it's biitch'n done before you work it... LOL

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Those noises are my favorite noises. I feel like I get another hole punched in my man card every time my CTD starts up. :Big Laugh:

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Reverse here, if you are out there working your Diesel real hard, and go somewhere and/or arrive home, let it idle a few minutes for the Turbo to cool down a lil.; Don't just shut off and run in house, or wherever, let it idle like 3 minutes or so for the turbo to cool down and not heat soak it.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh ya, diesels make a lot of strange sounds when starting up cold, and the colder it is the worse it sounds. The sounds may inspire you to run into the kitchen, grab a baking sheet, and place it under the engine to collect the parts that are sure to fall out.

My Cummins is a MY15 with solid lifters, I think you have hydraulic lifters, be glad for that, less noise. Even my ED sounds like it is self-destructing on a cold day first start.

I had a 2015 ED, that sucker was always quiet. But of course, here I did not get the sub zero temps U got. Under 25 F REAL cold for here.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
the weird thing mine does is when I start it I of course have my foot on the brake pedal and when the engine lights off the brake pedal does some strange things. being the only dsl I have ever had, I dont know if this is common to all of them or not.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
the weird thing mine does is when I start it I of course have my foot on the brake pedal and when the engine lights off the brake pedal does some strange things. being the only dsl I have ever had, I dont know if this is common to all of them or not.
The brakes in your CTD use a hydro-boost system instead of the typical vacuum brake booster. Your probably feeling the system pressurize as the power steering pump start to spin up. There's an accumulator in the hydro-boost system but that's just for helping maintain braking force under short duration of low or loss of power steering.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
You can take your foot off of the brake pedal after you push the start button and not feel or hear the power steering unit through the hydraboost for the brakes. It will still fire up after the grid heater disengages.