Stock chrome wheels actually plastic?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

subic97

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi etorque
So I went and got new tires on my 2016 1500 yesterday, and guy from tire shop comes up and says they cracked a couple of the plastic covers on the wheels. I’m thinking the round center caps, well no problem. Then he said we can buy you new Stock wheels or they will give me 50% off a new set of 4. I’m thinking wait just for center caps? Come to find out the chrome stock wheels are actually just plastic covers glued to the wheel, didn’t even know that and never heard about it before. I’ve washed the wheels many times guess I never tapped on them to see if they where real before.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
I’d go with them buying you new stock wheels. I’m not paying to fix their mistake.

If they insist on giving you a 50% discount, find out what a stock wheel costs and compare that to a set you want. Pay the difference, not 50% off the total cost.

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Mine’s a 2012 ... 7 Ohio winters with those plastic clads and they still look damn good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
subic97

subic97

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi etorque
I’d go with them buying you new stock wheels. I’m not paying to fix their mistake.

If they insist on giving you a 50% discount, find out what a stock wheel costs and compare that to a set you want. Pay the difference, not 50% off the total cost.
I only plan on keeping this truck another 2 years then trading in on a new 3500. They only put one small crack on one wheel and two on the other one. As long as they don’t come flying off or chrome peeling really bad I’m not too worried. Craigslist has them all the time for like $50. I was planning on paying $1200 for the new tires, I asked what they can do for tire discount? So I got 4 Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT installed with tire replacement coverage for only $500 and Cooper has $70 rebate, so I’m really good with that.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah I would be happy with that too - good deal.

Kudos to the tire shop, too. Good job of stepping up!

Many would try to pass it off and say they were cracked, not say a thing, or offer something like 5-10% off.

OP
OP
subic97

subic97

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi etorque
Yeah I would be happy with that too - good deal.

Kudos to the tire shop, too. Good job of stepping up!

Many would try to pass it off and say they were cracked, not say a thing, or offer something like 5-10% off.

These guys have always been great to me, cheaper price than anything I can find local. Last truck of mine a new Tacoma, ordered some Goodyear Duratracs $200 cheaper and $300 trade in on the new stock tires. Got there and they could only find 3 of the tires, he said sorry opened up the cash register gave me $100 cash for the trouble and said tire will be here tomorrow. I said cool. Discount Tire in Tigard, Oregon If you are close.

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
America's Tire screwed up three of the four when I had new tires put on early this year. They paid for three wheels of my choice so I ended up with Fuel Mavericks, $385.00 total out of my pocket, wheels, lugs, etc.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hard way to fin the truth, but being honest that's how most OEMs are doing business nowadays. Most chrome wheels are now claded plastichrome on top of the steel/aluminum.

PS. Good to know the shop is taking responsibility on this.

Sent from OnePlus 7 PRO using Tapatalk