Stock Exhaust Manifold Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

starfleethero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 4X4
Hello Experts!

I am seeking some advice regarding my exhaust manifolds. I have intentions to replace them with headers in the coming months as I also need to replace my CAT (one project extends to another as usual!). Normally this would be a job that I would be entirely comfortable tackling with my rookie-level hobby-mechanic experience.

What gives me pause is the extent to which my manifolds have rusted. If the odds are that I'll be looking at a few bolts breaking during the removal, I think I might just save some more pennies and have a shop take off the manifolds as I do not have the equipment to pull the engine to drill out broken bolts.

Granted, I know nothing is a guarantee when it comes to this sort of thing, but I'm just looking for some second opinions on whether or not it looks like a "don't you dare try that yourself" or "hey, it might just be fine" sort of thing.

IMG_20180325_134219.jpg

IMG_20180325_134149.jpg

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I’ve found applying some heat from a torch helps take the bolts right out. If you are careful and take your time, the bolts should come right out. The problem is if a bolt is already broken off flush with the head and you can’t grab it with vice grips. You don’t have to pull the entire engine to fix that, but it would be fairly easy to remove a head and take it to a machine shop to have it removed. Then you would just need a new head gasket and head bolts. It’s time consuming but fairly simple overall

You can polish a ****, just don’t pretend you have anything more then a shiny ****.
I bleed Ram Trucks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca