stock uca w/ billys

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rkpalm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
semi 5.7
I am about to order the bilstein and install them at the 2.8 mark. I have been searching to see if anyone is having the issue with the stock uca's that spacers have. I have found where people have changed them, but not really because of an issue. So, do the stock uca's hold up with the bilsteins? Or is it necessary to swap them out?

If the answer is already out there, sorry. Please provide the link to it.

Thank you

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I replaced mine to have peace of mind. If you are going to the trouble of upgrading the shocks and doing an alignment, you might as well change those out as well.

Here is a side by side of teh OEM and the Mevotech. ( yes I know the Mevotech aren't the best, but they still do a better job than the OEM junk )

Its a good time as well to upgraded the sway bar endlinks bushings to MOOGs, The factory ones are cheap rubber.

13887009_10154418231413552_515101316236518971_n.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rkpalm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
semi 5.7
The replacement does look a lot stronger. Hmmm

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Most of the people that have installed the Bilsteins at 2.8 have had no issues. Most of the issues with the UCA are due to running a spacer. I have mine set at 2.1 and the have been in for almost two years with no issues. I have two friends that have had there's set at 2.8 for well over a year and they haven't had any problems either. Changing your UCA,s just for piece of mind is isn't that expensive and as stated you are going to have everything apart anyway. I guess it's just personal preference.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I replaced mine to have peace of mind. If you are going to the trouble of upgrading the shocks and doing an alignment, you might as well change those out as well.

Here is a side by side of teh OEM and the Mevotech. ( yes I know the Mevotech aren't the best, but they still do a better job than the OEM junk )

Its a good time as well to upgraded the sway bar endlinks bushings to MOOGs, The factory ones are cheap rubber.

What's the P/N for the moog endlinks?

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
It always confuses me when people say that the aftermarket UCAs are "beefier", or "look stronger"..

If your not jumping over things..who cares?

The "issue" hasn't ever been the UCAs twisting or breaking... its the ball joints popping out because of the angle. (Assuming that it actually happens)

Id say keep the stock ones... if a ball joint pops out, replace it. Money spent now, money spent later... is still money spent.

Mevotechs fail also.

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
As Austin said, the problem is not the A-arm itself, it's the ball joint popping out of it. This happens with spacer type leveling kits as they allow the suspension to overextend which is where the ball joint pops out. Bilsteins keep the suspension travel within OEM specs which should keep the ball joint happy. You just want to be careful when installing them not to allow the suspension to overextend to get them in. I always recommend unbolting the steering knuckle from the upper A-arm during install to allow the lower A-arm to drop down far enough to get the Bilstein in without extending the suspension too far.

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
my stock ucas did fine with bils at 2.8 for over a year. The joint only started to pop out after some rough offroading. The mevotechs i bought to replace them did just find. I just didnt trust them for getting a little air. Recently switched to zones.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If and when the Mevos fail Ill upgrade to Zones. I do quite a bit of offroading during hunting season. Ill see how they hold up this fall.

Ronan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Funny, my stock UCA 's on my 13' look much bigger than those mevo's

OP
OP
R

rkpalm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
semi 5.7
Well, I got the bilsteins in today. Can't wait to tear into this weekend. Only question is "do I attempt to use a spring compressors and do it myself, or take it apart and go to a shop to swap out the shocks?" What have most of y'all done, and how hard was it to compress the springs?

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well, I got the bilsteins in today. Can't wait to tear into this weekend. Only question is "do I attempt to use a spring compressors and do it myself, or take it apart and go to a shop to swap out the shocks?" What have most of y'all done, and how hard was it to compress the springs?
Do it yourself, very easy, just remember that top washer bikstein provides goes under the top spring cup and not under the nut