Stop driving the 2003 Dodge truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
This is for the ones who haven't gotten the recall yet because people are dumb and/or lazy LMAO.

FabricGATOR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just acquired my 2004 model that was bought in 2003... That recall was supposed to have been done three times (at the dealer three times for recall)and it still shows the passenger airbag outstanding. So do I bring it in a forth time to verify if it has been done or not?

olddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
Now we have a recent passenger airbag fatality from the R26 airbag recall.
Not really surprising, my own experience indicates dealers do not check for recalls affecting trucks while at the dealership for scheduled routine service.

People move, mail forwarding ends while they drive on out of state plates not yet expired, a host of reasons. For example, during divorce my ex submitted a change of address with the post office requesting ALL mail for either of us to be forwarded to her new address. Some folks have their mail delivered to their office, and the mailroom staff kindly discards anything looking like advertising.

So now FCA spins the airbag fatality as the fault of the truck owner, because they sent some notices in the mail to that owner. Sending mail and receiving mail are two different things.

I bought my own '03 new, and have 3 outstanding recalls dating back to 2009 that I never knew about because I was never notified. My truck has been back to the selling dealer over a dozen times since 2009, and I was never informed of any of the 3 recalls. The dealer never took the opportunity to perfom these recalls. For a time I had a prepaid service contract, so the dealer knew the truck would be back. Why didn't FCA pre-order parts for recall correction at my next scheduled service?

I suspect like myself, the deceased owner of the 2003 Ram had been to his Dodge dealer countless times since the 2015 R26 airbag recall. Shame on FCA for blaming the deceased owner. Shame on FCA for looking the other way while dealers ignore recalls. Shame on FCA for not having recall parts waiting at dealerships.

Recently the NHTSA hit Volvo Group North America with $130 mln penalty over delayed recalls. I believe FCA may find themselves in a similar situation, as their monitoring of dealer performance of recalls is substandard. FCA has rights and responsibilities when they sell a dealer franchise, and they need only look to Volvo to see where the NHTSA stands on the issue.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I have requested of a Dodge dealership that all Recalls, TSBs, CSN, etc. any other notices be taken care of on my 2016 Eco-diesel

I mention it every time that i visit the dealership.

I tell them that i have 3 or 4 Notices that were sent out by the dealership & none are being taken care of.

The answer that i get back is, ' well, i was not here back then '

Makes me wonder if they toss the old customer files with each in- coming Head Service Writer ?

olddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
I wonder if the service department avoids warranty work that isn't profitable for them. I also see by their actions that FCA doesn't want to actually fix these recalls, because of your experience, mine, and all the other owners with unrepaired recalls after countless visits to the dealership over the years. The parts are not at the dealer, so how hard is FCA preparing to accomplish any of these recalls.

Edit: You can file a complaint with NHTSA here:
Vehicle Safety Hotline 888-327-4236, Monday-Friday 8am-8pm ET
or online here:

Last edited:

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The title of this is misleading and definitely isn't sticky worthy. This recall was first issued in 2015 and all these ******* have had plenty of time to get the recall done. Whether or not an individual notice was received or not, there was a HUGE media campaign at the time and there is an easy way to check what recalls are outstanding or completed to your VIN.

olddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
The title of this is misleading and definitely isn't sticky worthy. This recall was first issued in 2015 and all these ******* have had plenty of time to get the recall done. Whether or not an individual notice was received or not, there was a HUGE media campaign at the time and there is an easy way to check what recalls are outstanding or completed to your VIN.
I can't agree.
Why doesn't FCA preposition parts at all dealers, there are 34 trucks for each dealer to repair, so it's not like a part will go unused.
Why aren't dealers checking for these recalls and performing them? I would say it is their obligation to do that.
Not all owners are mechanically savvy, which is one reason why they take their vehicle in for service.
I have had 8 different phonecalls with Ram at the recall hotline, each is starting over from ground zero. I have had 4 different phonecalls with the dealer the Ram recall hotline recommended, and am still waiting for an estimate for when the part will be in. Without that part ETA I really doubt the dealer has ordered the part yet.
So, getting the recall fixed isn't quite working correctly for many different reasons. Your assumptions are not correct for many owners, which is why the dealers are supposed to be checking for and actually doing these recalls.
Nice that you can feel superior with above average mechanical savvy, but what about your wife, mom, sister, grandmother, possibly living alone? Not everything is so cut and dried.
FCA should be stepping up. Dealers should be checking and correcting. clearly they are not.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
FCA didn't make the original air bags and doesn't make the replacements either - they are a 3rd party to it all.
So they aren't going to preposition any UNLESS Takata offers them up for free to do so.

Does Takata even have any available???

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Takata must not have them.
There are several models of Tesla, that have air bag recalls

olddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
FCA didn't make the original air bags and doesn't make the replacements either - they are a 3rd party to it all.
So they aren't going to preposition any UNLESS Takata offers them up for free to do so.

Does Takata even have any available???
Digging a little deeper, the passenger airbag recall part comes as an assembly encased in the dashboard trim panel. It is a different airbag now, not using ammonium nitrate. I don't know who makes it now. Doesn't matter, NHTSA has directed FCA to perform the recall, and they aren't doing so well at it. FCA doesn't make the AAM axle, Cummins engine, and so on, but they are still the source for repair parts that the dealer will order. Sorry, no sympathy for FCA, they chose Takata as a source, and have had since 2015 to get off their ass and stock the parts as required by the NHTSA. I think FCA is gambling human lives against vehicle attrition. It's a chicken/egg situation...no parts until FCA orders them, and no manufacture of the parts by whoever is building them now. Takata went bankrupt and is Defunct as of 11 April 2018. The remains of Takata were acquired by Key Safety Systems based in Michigan (owned by Chinese).
Third party may describe the supply/logistics, but not the recall performance and legal liability. Ford lost a class action lawsuit; The owners of Ford vehicles who agree to the deal will receive free loaner cars while waiting for their Takata repairs, as well as small cash payments for their out-of-pocket expenses.
So, it seems the courts have no sympathy for the automakers either, as the Ford class action loss was the 7th in a string of cases.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I can't agree.
Why doesn't FCA preposition parts at all dealers, there are 34 trucks for each dealer to repair, so it's not like a part will go unused.
Why aren't dealers checking for these recalls and performing them? I would say it is their obligation to do that.
Not all owners are mechanically savvy, which is one reason why they take their vehicle in for service.
I have had 8 different phonecalls with Ram at the recall hotline, each is starting over from ground zero. I have had 4 different phonecalls with the dealer the Ram recall hotline recommended, and am still waiting for an estimate for when the part will be in. Without that part ETA I really doubt the dealer has ordered the part yet.
So, getting the recall fixed isn't quite working correctly for many different reasons. Your assumptions are not correct for many owners, which is why the dealers are supposed to be checking for and actually doing these recalls.
Nice that you can feel superior with above average mechanical savvy, but what about your wife, mom, sister, grandmother, possibly living alone? Not everything is so cut and dried.
FCA should be stepping up. Dealers should be checking and correcting. clearly they are not.
Come down off your high horse lol. Doesn't matter how "mechanical savvy" someone is, you can't do the recall yourself. If you have a sh!tty dealer that's your problem; find another one. This recall was released in 2015. I had three vehicles subject to it at the time (my truck was one of them). I had no problems making the appointments to get it done. Dealers are not obligated to go after people for recalls, that's FCA's job (only thing they are obligated to do is perform the recall service). They were really good at it at the time with the media campaign. Know why they aren't now? Because they did their required due diligence and it is now EIGHT YEARS after the fact on a vehicle that was produced TWENTY YEARS ago. So they issue this but that's it; vehicle maintenance (which includes getting recalls done once they are known) has always fallen on the owner. I'm willing to bet come next year there will be a "OMG stop driving your 2004".

olddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
If you have a sh!tty dealer that's your problem; find another one. This recall was released in 2015. I had three vehicles subject to it at the time (my truck was one of them). I had no problems making the appointments to get it done. Dealers are not obligated to go after people for recalls, that's FCA's job (only thing they are obligated to do is perform the recall service).
I found another dealer, and they don't have the part. 84000 are still on the road. My truck was at the dealer countless times since 2015, but no repair, no mention of the recall, no parts ordered for next time the truck was at the dealer for service.
I think your media campaign makes the false assumption it will be nearly 100% effective. It hasn't turned out that way.
My high horse is expecting FCA and dealers to check for and perform these recalls.
Your high horse is "because people are dumb and/or lazy LMAO."
There are infinate reasons a person might not know about a recall. I can't see why you wouldn't expect a dealer to check for a recall when that truck is actually at the service department. Sadly many service departments are not doing this, and the body count is rising.
In my own case, I'm ex Navy, a pilot, moved, divorced, and spent 2/3rds of my days overseas. Sorry, but I missed the media campaign. I am not the only one whose situation shares the same results.
I think you're being harsh in your judgements of ordinary people who rely on FCA and it's dealers to perform professionally and responsibly. I could take offence, but why...in my younger days I made more assumptions similar to yours. I guess age is a relentless educator.
Take care.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I found another dealer, and they don't have the part. 84000 are still on the road. My truck was at the dealer countless times since 2015, but no repair, no mention of the recall, no parts ordered for next time the truck was at the dealer for service.
I think your media campaign makes the false assumption it will be nearly 100% effective. It hasn't turned out that way.
My high horse is expecting FCA and dealers to check for and perform these recalls.
There are infinate reasons a person might not know about a recall. I can't see why you wouldn't expect a dealer to check for a recall when that truck is actually at the service department. Sadly many service departments are not doing this, and the body count is rising.
In my own case, I'm ex Navy, a pilot, moved, divorced, and spent 2/3rds of my days overseas. Sorry, but I missed the media campaign. I am not the only one whose situation shares the same results.
I think you're being harsh in your judgements of ordinary people who rely on FCA and it's dealers to perform professionally and responsibly. I could take offence, but why...in my younger days I made more assumptions similar to yours. I guess age is a relentless educator.
Take care.
Screenshot 2023-07-28 at 09-54-48 World's Smallest Vioin Origin of Expression GIF and More.png

olddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
World's smallest violin has a body count in excess of 30 human lives.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Take care.
My local dealer used to do all the recalls without asking (at least the recalls I knew about), hence why I now have the stupid can't move the truck with the door open programming installed - which I requested not be done on a prior visit.
The same dealer since an ownership change might or might not be doing the same service - I haven't had any performed but there might not be any on my truck either. I haven't checked.

So I actually agree with you and Hemilonestar in that the dealer should check for open recalls (as a general customer courtesy) and the customer should request the check for open recalls (as a general ownership responsibility). I am guilty of not asking for a check LOL so I understand the customer part .

FCA imo did it's duty by the campaign and mass mailers - it really shouldn't be expected for them to chase down where the owners are - unless it is mandated that all states submit current registration information in real time to the manufacturers.
By issuing a cease to operate public notice FCA has gone one step farther.

Recalls are not and have never been a perfect process for really any product. People still use recalled cribs, strollers, car seats, appliances, etc.

olddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
The Coordinated Remedy Order (and Amendment) [airbag recall] has 12 “Priority Groups”.

In the following Priority Groups, the area of high absolute humidity (“HAH”) is defined by each
vehicle manufacturer individually, but in all instances includes vehicles originally sold or ever
registered in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Mississippi, Texas, Puerto Rico,
American Samoa, Guam, Saipan, and the U.S. ****** Islands.

Regardless of HAH status, the 2003 Ram is in the second highest of 12 Priority Groups.
PG-2 2003 - 2003 Dodge RAM 1500, 2500, 3500 Pickup PAB (HAH)
PG-2 2003 - 2003 Dodge RAM 1500, 2500, 3500 Pickup PAB (Non-HAH)

Generally, Priority Group 2 includes: ….. and;
(2) vehicles with certain recalled passenger inflator types that have a higher rupture
frequency and that have also spent time in the HAH region.

NHTSA has also ordered each vehicle manufacturer to complete its remedy program on the following schedule:
- Priority Groups 1-3: December 31, 2017

So, looks like the 2003 Ram airbag recall should be receiving a much higher level of support from FCA than it has been getting. FCA was supposed to have 100% of the trucks recall complete more than 5 years ago, and they are still 19% (84,000 trucks) away from completion.
-Parts are not at the dealership.
-Service managers are not checking trucks for uncompleted recalls that are currently at their service department for other work.
-The recall hotline is absolutely dysfunctional.
NHTSA is going to have to step in and fine FCA for non-compliance as they did Volvo.
Ford has lost at least 7 class action airbag lawsuits, and FCA by their actions are setting themselves up for a similar experience.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I just acquired my 2004 model that was bought in 2003... That recall was supposed to have been done three times (at the dealer three times for recall)and it still shows the passenger airbag outstanding. So do I bring it in a forth time to verify if it has been done or not?

Hello,

Did the dealer provide you a repair order on this recall after they performed the repair? They would need to submit the repair claim in order for the recall to be cleared.

William
Ram Cares

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
The Coordinated Remedy Order (and Amendment) [airbag recall] has 12 “Priority Groups”.

In the following Priority Groups, the area of high absolute humidity (“HAH”) is defined by each
vehicle manufacturer individually, but in all instances includes vehicles originally sold or ever
registered in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Mississippi, Texas, Puerto Rico,
American Samoa, Guam, Saipan, and the U.S. ****** Islands.

Regardless of HAH status, the 2003 Ram is in the second highest of 12 Priority Groups.
PG-2 2003 - 2003 Dodge RAM 1500, 2500, 3500 Pickup PAB (HAH)
PG-2 2003 - 2003 Dodge RAM 1500, 2500, 3500 Pickup PAB (Non-HAH)

Generally, Priority Group 2 includes: ….. and;
(2) vehicles with certain recalled passenger inflator types that have a higher rupture
frequency and that have also spent time in the HAH region.

NHTSA has also ordered each vehicle manufacturer to complete its remedy program on the following schedule:
- Priority Groups 1-3: December 31, 2017

So, looks like the 2003 Ram airbag recall should be receiving a much higher level of support from FCA than it has been getting. FCA was supposed to have 100% of the trucks recall complete more than 5 years ago, and they are still 19% (84,000 trucks) away from completion.
-Parts are not at the dealership.
-Service managers are not checking trucks for uncompleted recalls that are currently at their service department for other work.
-The recall hotline is absolutely dysfunctional.
NHTSA is going to have to step in and fine FCA for non-compliance as they did Volvo.
Ford has lost at least 7 class action airbag lawsuits, and FCA by their actions are setting themselves up for a similar experience.

Thank you for sharing this feedback with us, as it is very important to us. We will be sharing this with our partners for any future implementation changes.

William
Ram Cares