Straight pipe in place of the mid section resonator? Deeper sound?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Philip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I can't find much on the stock exhaust being only slightly modified. I'm looking for a bit louder, maybe deeper sound at idle and regular cruising speed around 30-45mph. Correct me if i'm wrong, I believe the mid section exhaust piece is a resonator, which is probably quite heavy also. Is it held in line with clamps like the one diagram I saw online or welded? I want to try and remove it, and add straight pipe (what size?) and clamp it down using the stock clamps (or have it welded).

This is with keeping the stock muffler, would this add a little more bite to the exhaust sound, all I want is a bit louder and deeper, by like 30-50% over stock if somehow that's imaginable.

2017 V6 Ram.

In the future I might want to add either a cold air intake, or just a high flow air filter. I'm not looking to tune it, just minor improvements etc, I know it will never be a Hemi V8, but if I can squeeze a few horsepower out of it for under $500 why not?

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As far as i know, the pipe before the muffler is not a resonater.

Maybe the little bulb before the tips, i doubt cutting those out will make a great difference.

So do what i did, a cut out before the muffler. Go from civilized dad to toothless hill billy in seconds. My cheapy ebay cut out was $60 plus nice strap pipe clamps for $10 each. I have had fancy brands like QTP and they fell apart. So far my ebay special has lasted years now.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Philip

Philip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Thanks, but I want it to sound a bit louder and deep. I don't want to open it up too much because these V6's really sound like crap (in my opinion) when it's too loud. Just want a bit louder, and added deep sound.

Anyone just take the muffler off and throw in a Flowmaster? Years ago I had flowmasters on my mustang, but that was a 5.0 V8, sounded real deep....not sure how this V6 would sound.

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I didnt realize u had a v6.

I just went to youtube seconds ago...multiple sound clips exist. I wiuld start there.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Solo Performance Exhaust Delete kit will replace the stock muffler. The resonator is at the tailpipe

Blue Mule

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Replace the stock muffler with the muffler of your choice such as a Magnaflow, Flowmaster, Mufflex, etc... As mentioned there are quite a few videos out there in YouTubeLand of V6 exhaust upgrades.

I would echo what ^^^McBroom^^^ said regarding the muffler and resonator locations on these trucks.

OP
OP
Philip

Philip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I spent hours on youtube, and I came to the conclusion to just leave it stock. This V6 sounds like an Infiniti G35 with the exhaust opened up LOL. Sure some exhaust setups sound good at idle, but I didn't realize how much it sounded like a V6 Ricer at wide open throttle.....

Mods if you want close this thread, sorry to waste peoples time, but I do appreciate ALL of the advice, Cheers!